Indiana Core Content Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by laceyk8, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Morgan Greene

Morgan Greene New Member

Jan 10, 2017

PLEASE HELP!!
    I am on an emergency lisence teaching, and I am trying to pass IN Elementary Education core subset social studies test. I have purchased study guides, the book, and studies countless hours. I took for the fourth time Saturday and failed, I am very overwhelmed/frustrated!! Suggestions?? Anything is welcome!!! PLEASE HELP!

2. Morgan Greene

Morgan Greene New Member

Jan 10, 2017

PLEASE HELP!!
    I am on an emergency lisence teaching, and I am trying to pass IN Elementary Education core subset social studies test. I have purchased study guides, the book, and studies countless hours. I took for the fourth time Saturday and failed, I am very overwhelmed/frustrated!! Suggestions?? Anything is welcome!!! PLEASE HELP!

3. Morgan Greene

Morgan Greene New Member

Jan 11, 2017

How did this go??

4. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Jan 15, 2017

I just saw this! I wish I could have been there. What happened??

5. Chris Render

Chris Render New Member

Jan 17, 2017

Hi everyone,

I recently took the CASA core exams for the transition to teaching program. I took all three in one sitting. Luckily, I passed Reading and Writing on the first attempt. Took Math again and passed it on the second attempt.

They were very difficult. My question is how hard is the pedagogy test p-12 test? I hate to spend a lot of money on T2T program and then not be able to pass the pedagogy test.

6. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Jan 23, 2017

Hi,
    I hope that you still look at this website. Do you have study materials for the math exam?

7. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Jan 23, 2017

Hi, Can you give me any additional tips on passing the IN Math Generalist Exam? I failed it again. This was the third time I took it. First time- 200, second time 210, third time? I find the how to teach questions puzzling at times. There are always 2 good answers.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2017

Two good answers, yes - but one will be slightly better than the other. First, where the question stem (the stuff before the possible answers) spells out a teaching scenario, count up the key bits of information - grade, whether kid is on grade, subject matter, skill or strategy to be mastered - that sort of thing. On the other hand, if the question stem simply names a teaching strategy or approach or disability, jot down quick-and-dirty notes about the grade, subject matter, and learning need for which it's most appropriate. Once you've eliminated the two truly stupid answers, count up the key bits of information in the first decent answer and see how many of them match the key bits you saw or jotted down for the question stem. Repeat for the second decent answer. If you stay focused and know your stuff, I promise that one answer will show up as better than the other.

Let me add that, while teaching-practice questions have indeed been sneaking (or in some states barging) into what should be subject matter tests, it's remarkable how many questions set in teaching situations can actually be answered by reference to the subject matter involved. In any case, don't overlook that possibility. The point-by-point comparison of question and answers can still be helpful.

9. lphinkle

lphinkle Rookie

Jan 30, 2017

Hello All,
    I am getting ready to take the elementary education generalist exam AGAIN... does anyone have any helpful tips or study materials that they would like to share with me. I would be so very thankful! I really am tired of paying for this and would love to just feel that relief of having passed this exam so I can apply to teach.
    Thank you to all who are willing to help!

10. MissKayJo

MissKayJo New Member

Jan 31, 2017

After stumbling across this forum/site, I was so happy and excited!

I have taken and failed the Earth Space Science content exam for secondary educators FOUR times! I bought the Pearson approved flash cards and borrowed the study guide from my college's library in efforts to study...nothing. I used the textbooks I would use as a teacher for these subjects would use to teach from....nothing. I used my own notes and textbooks to study for this content....nothing. After spending the last four and a half years going to school and graduating with a B.S. in Secondary Earth Space Science and a minor in Geology, I'm flabbergasted that I still haven't been able to pass. While I may not have been top of my graduating class, I still did well in school. There were several research projects I undertook and presented that research at multiple conferences both on the local and national level.

As a last ditch effort, my advisor suggested I take the MS Science content exam since my background would cover it. So I registered, spent almost an entire week running through the standards and domains provided by Pearson only to fail that exam as well!! After doing a lot of looking, I came across some interesting information about lowering the required passing score for certain exams (like the MS Science exam), but according to Pearson it's still a 220.

I'm so fed up with Pearson and I don't know what else to do, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

Michelle T likes this.
  11. MissKayJo

MissKayJo New Member

Jan 31, 2017

Which teacher textbook did you get? I have taken the ESS core content exam 4 times and failed. The closest I came was a 217 out of 220. I literally started crying in the Pearson Testing center when I saw I failed because I have spent so much money on this test!

I tried the MS Science content exam because my advisor said the required score to pass was lower, but failed it too. I study using the Pearson study materials and standards, but to no avail. I'm getting fed up and let down.

12. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Feb 1, 2017

Thank you so much!

13. lphinkle

lphinkle Rookie

Feb 3, 2017

Hi. congrats on passing the test! I cant wait for that feeling.. do you still have this study material you are willing to share!?
    I take the math and history next week and I got a 200 the first time I took them so I am really needing to study!! I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

14. luttpj01

luttpj01 New Member

Feb 6, 2017

Hi there....I am so glad I found this blog of Indiana future/present educators trying to pass the content tests for their state license. I am currently working with an emergency license in a special education classroom. However, I graduated with a degree 5-9 Social Studies and Science. I have not passed either test so far. I have taken the Social Studies test 4 times and the closest I have gotten was a 207 out of 220. I laughed at the content questions for the middle school science test because the questions were so hard and didn't relate in my opinion to middle school science. I am really focusing on the Social Studies test, so if there is any study material for this test it would be greatly appreciated. STAY POSITIVE EVERYBODY!!

Michelle T likes this.
  15. Tramell

Tramell New Member

Feb 8, 2017

Hello everyone I am trying to study for the p-12 pedagogy exam. Is there anyone out there who has any study materials for this exam? I am low on funds and can't purchase the study book. I would appreciate any help! Starting to get worried about taking it...

16. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

Have you tried using Quizlet?

17. lphinkle

lphinkle Rookie

Feb 13, 2017

I took my math test again on Wednesday and received the dreadful not pass :( Time was my enemy that test because I was working out the problems.
    Does anyone have any tips or study materials that made them feel like they were well prepared.
    I have tried quizlet. Thanks so much

18. Tramell

Tramell New Member

Feb 13, 2017

I have not..but I will surely look into that! Thanks!!!

19. Michelle T

Michelle T Rookie

Feb 13, 2017

I am thankful for this forum. I am so frustrated with Pearson. I already purchased their practice test and then learned that it expires after 120 days. Ridiculous. I emailed the company. This is just another example of how Pearson tries to make money on every little thing. Disgusting.

20. Tramell

Tramell New Member

Feb 13, 2017

Wow..thats just not fair. It shouldnt be a time limit on how much you can practice!! Shame on Pearson.