Indiana Core Content Exam

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by laceyk8, Jun 8, 2014.

1. laceyk8

laceyk8 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time reader but first time poster. I'm currently scheduled to do my student teaching this fall.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Indiana Core Content exam? (It replaced the Praxis II) if so, do you have any suggestions for preparing? The only study guides /practice tests I've been able to find are the ones through them directly that you have to purchase. Would love any advice!

Thanks in advance!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2014

Hm. Which of the Indiana tests are you taking?

4. laceyk8

laceyk8 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014

It's the new Indiana Core content exam for licensure, the elementary education generalist exam.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2014

Ah, that was what I needed to know: whether it was elementary ed or something else Indiana offers that could've been asked about in the Multiple Subject Tests subforum.

So Indiana's tests are new this year, I believe, which means they're probably aligned to whatever version of Common Core the state is using, or whatever the state has adopted instead in reaction to Common Core.

The gold standard for what can be tested is always whatever test blueprint or list of competencies the test company supplies.

For most elementary-education tests, it looks like the subject-matter content as such isn't changing very much, though there's a bigger emphasis in all subject areas (and, I'd expect, in all the subtests of Indiana's test) on literacy. Obviously English/language arts will include literacy education, but so also will various domains that we haven't thought of in terms of reading and writing: the most obvious connection is via subject-matter vocabulary, but academic language and text structures are likely to be important as well.

6. laceyk8

laceyk8 Rookie

Jun 19, 2014

Thank you Teachergroupie. I will definitely take a better look at the test blueprint. Especially the Social Studies subtest, which is where I'm really struggling. Social Studies has never been my strong area, so I'm not surprised. Hopefully I can find some resources that help me prepare!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2014

Hugs, laceyk8. Have a look around some of the threads on this forum, especially the older ones that delve into subject matter. One way to look at history is that it's the world's longest running soap opera. If your strengths are in literature and components of story, try applying those: look for the causal chains - what caused what, what resulted from what, plus the players' motivations - and the time-date-and-name thing might start making a bit more sense.

8. jrstockman99

jrstockman99 Rookie

Aug 24, 2014

Hi there!!! I know it has only been a couple of months since your original post, however, I am curious as to if you have passed the social studies portion of the new CORE assessment?? I have taken this exam 4 times and the closest I have come to passing is 208. I am at a TOTAL loss as to what to do from here?! Thought maybe we could brainstorm??

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2014

Hello, jrstockman99, and welcome to A to Z. Most such tests give, along with the numerical score, some indication of tasks (multiplic choice vs. constructed response, say) or domains (content areas) in which one didn't do so well. What are you seeing?

10. jrstockman99

jrstockman99 Rookie

Aug 24, 2014

Thank you for your quick response! I am referring to the new Indiana CORE assessment for Educators (it replaced the Praxis 2 for elementary education). It is divided into 4 sections. I have passed 3 sections (reading, science, and math) but cannot pass the Social Studies & Fine Arts. This is strictly a multiple choice test with 40 questions and passing score is 220. :help:

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2014

All right, so the flyer on how to read the score report at http://www.in.nesinc.com/Content/Docs/IN_CBT_ScoreReportBacker.pdf tells us that the diagnostics break things down by domain: that is, if you look through the score report, there should be a chart that shows what percentage of questions you got right in social studies and what percentage in fine arts.

12. jrstockman99

jrstockman99 Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

Yes it does! I don't have my last score report (the 4th attempt) but my 2nd attempt was closest at 208 (need 220). And social studies was 58% and fine arts was 56%. I have used Praxis 2 content to study, I have also studied every single social studies/fine arts standard for k-6. Plus I purchased flash cards from mo metrics. I just don't know what else to do? I feel that the questions on the test are not k-6 material?! 2 specific questions that I can recall I can prove are not k-6!!!!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2014

Hugs: you sound frustrated.

No, of course the questions aren't at the K-6 level: it's reasonable to expect a teacher's knowledge to be deeper and broader than what the teacher is teaching.

How are you generally as a taker of multiple choice tests? Are you comfortable taking them?

14. jrstockman99

jrstockman99 Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

I am extremely frustrated!! I am usually a great test taker. As a matter of fact, I just took the IN Laws and Regulations for my a Life and Health a Insurance license.....passed with an 88%. Just completed the Transition to Teaching program with a 4.0!! So, I think with all that being said, that's why I am very frustrated! I have never encountered this before and I am usually pretty resourceful and know what my next step would be. I just don't know with this......

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2014

Ah: then you might be overthinking this test. More hugs to you.

16. jrstockman99

jrstockman99 Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

I thought that the 3rd time I took it but this last time, I was extremely confident in my answers and felt REALLY good about it. I even submitted it 14 minutes early because I felt I had passed. Do you have any suggestions? Is there additional study material that I have missed? Do I continue to study all the material that has not really helped?

17. MrsChris

MrsChris Rookie

Sep 1, 2014

Indiana Core Content

Jr, I share your pain. I took the pedagogy test for middle school science twice over the summer and had a horrible time. Though no study materials were really available for that specific test, I felt pretty good on account of me knowing the subject (I thought), the Praxis never giving me any trouble, and me being a very good test-taker. I used the Praxis middle school science materials to study. I even took the Praxis sample test for that content area and only missed two on the entire thing.

First test was a horrible realization of just how **NOT** middle school teaching level this test was. Not even close. Most questions were college level science MAJOR material. I minored in science, MAJORED in education. That being said, I do have a very close relative that teaches chemistry and physics at a university that helped me tremendously. Before taking the test the second time I studied for 8+ hours a day, every day, for a month and used college level tests and tutorials. It helped, but I still didn't make the cut score. I can't tell you how frustrated I was--but I'm sure you know the feeling!

I totally understand expecting teachers to have a foundation of knowledge with a higher level of learning than what they will be teaching. However, these tests appear to be way beyond the mark. While I was at the testing center, leaving after my second failed attempt, one of the center employees told me to not give up, that many people were having difficulty. She even said she had seen seasoned teachers moving here from out of state that were trying to get licensed in their areas failing this new test. Since then I also met another colleague that also didn't pass a subject area that was very familiar to her. This test is new and obviously has many kinks to work out. I wrote a letter to the Indiana DOE office of educator licensing regarding my experience and asked them to please review the test for fairness. Perhaps you should do the same?

18. jrstockman99

jrstockman99 Rookie

Sep 11, 2014

MrsChris,

I want to thank you for sharing your experience. I know it can be difficult to share these types of experiences because I know how I felt after my 4th failed attempt. The more research I do, the more comforted I feel that I am not in this boat alone. However, the fact still remains that MANY people are struggling with the same issue: the test is unfair!

I have laready written a letter to the INDOE and voiced my concerns. One of them being, the same as what you had mentioned, that the content of the test is NOT K-6 and some of them are not even K-8, try high school!!! I am thrilled to know that someone else besides me has taken active action outside of continuing to retake the test (meaning writing letters, etc.).

This is what I did my ENTIRE summer break (all day, every day), I studied for the social studies portion of the test in hopes of getting a teaching job this fall but to no avail. Like you, I am finding that many many people are just as frustrated as we. Even though it is a tad bit comforting to know others are struggling (and some are in worse shape than I am), it still doesn't change the fact that we are unable to pass the test. I have passed 3 of the 4 sections after my 2nd attempt. Several people that I have talked with have only passed 1 section after 2 attempts!! I am eligible to retake the test on September 19th but am unsure if I will. I just don't have a good feeling of finding the right study materials yet. I don't have another course action in place and I am afraid that I will again have wasted my money.

Please keep me up to date on how you are doing with your retakes. I am very curious to know.....
    Thanks again for sharing!
    Jackie

19. runmore11

runmore11 Rookie

Oct 6, 2014

jrstockman99,
    I am in the same boat you are in but with math. I have completed all tests but the math portion. I have taken it four times!! I was hired to teach 2nd grade but had to inform the school that I could not take the job due to not being able to pass one stupid test! How did you do on the math? I would love to swap study materials if you have any for math.

20. Mister Eric

Mister Eric Rookie

Oct 17, 2014

Hey Guys,

I have some good news and some bad new. The good news is that those of you who are struggling to pass are not alone, not by a long shot. Our graduating class of teachers currently has over a dozen students who are unable to pass the new content area exam that replaced the Praxis II. NO ONE that I know of has passed all four sections of the exam. I am currently reaching out to other Indiana schools to see if they are in the same boat or if we are an anomaly.

Everyone sailed through the new Pedagogy test, but the new Elementary Generalist test is proving to be a major roadblock. Our university advisors are just now beginning to see that it is not a matter of poor preparation, many of our top, top students are struggling to pass as well.

Luckily, I got in under the window and took the old Praxis II before it expired and I thank God every night that I did.

21. jrstockman99

jrstockman99 Rookie

Oct 18, 2014

Wow Mister Eric!! I really appreciate you sharing that information. As comforting as this information is to those of us still struggling, it is even more frustrating! When is the DOE going to wake up and realize this test is going to do nothing but contribute to the teacher crisis that this state is already facing....teacher shortage! School systems in my area have already starting using words similar to this! I believe that I will be an excellent teacher, however, I may never get that opportunity if I cannot pass this test!

Just a short update since I last posted.....this past Monday I took the social studies for the 5th time and did not pass....AGAIN! Once again I felt really really good about my answers but to no avail. I sent a 3 pg letter the the DOE asking for waiver since I have twice almost passed with a score of 208. Their response was that this test is a state statue which they did not make but are required to enforce, therefore, cannot grant waivers.

I just don't know what else to do. I am thinking of applying for my license in Michgan since I am only 20 minutes to the border.