Inappropriate/Annoying YouTube Ads in Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ReneeC, Aug 9, 2013.

1. ReneeC

ReneeC Rookie

Aug 9, 2013

THREAD SUMMARY:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! In summary here are my thoughts on a few of the resources suggested in this thread.

http://Huzzaz.com - Eliminates video ads. Also lets you collect, organize and share videos. I could see this being very useful for teachers across the country to share videos they are using in the classroom. It's like a Pinterest for videos.

http://Keepvid.com - Also eliminates ads. Great if you want to download a video for offline use. I have internet access in my classroom so this isn't as useful for me, but I can see myself using Huzzaz to save my own videos, and follow other teachers at my school as well as other schools; then when I need to take one of those videos offline, I'll use Keepvid. There were a few other suggestions that were similar to Keepvid, but I found this one most helpful.

Ad Block Extension for Chrome/Firefox - I view this as the third and final piece of this summary. The video ads don't show up on Huzzaz, so with this tool, I'm able to block the overlay banner ads to complete the process of blocking ads.

There you have it, the 1-2-3 punch of how to use YouTube videos in the classroom!!

I hope you all find these resources helpful!

==============================================

Does anyone else get annoyed with the YouTube ads that show before videos?

I have so many awesome videos that are great for kicking off a discussion or igniting my classroom's imagination but the ads are super annoying and sometime inappropriate. Not to mention the suggested videos on the side are often not appropriate for the classroom as well.

Is it just me or do others have this issue too, and is there a better way to show YouTube videos in the classroom??

RC

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

You tube is blocked in our district.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 9, 2013

All you need to do is go to www.keepvid.com/ and paste the web address from YouTube. This will make a copy of the YouTube, no ads, and you don't have to worry about buffering anymore, because you actually have a copy (as opposed to streaming from the internet.)

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

I'm just surprised there's a school out there that doesn't have YouTube blocked!

Hope RainStorm's solution works for you, and that your school continues to make YouTube available.

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

do you know if this works if Youtube is blocked? My school even blocks Teachertube! Best part was when the DOE sent a video for my P to play to us about the state tests and that came up blocked!:dizzy:

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 9, 2013

We have YouTube for educators and many (probably most) videos are blocked, but there are some amazing videos out there to teach anything! I too have had some slightly inappropriate ads come up before the video, I try to set them up in the morning and pause it as it starts, but there's a time limit. What I do is have something else open related to what we are learning and put that up until the ad finished.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 9, 2013

We have access to youtube and I usually try to start the video to the beginning point before the kids see it.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

I did something like this too. I was able to block all ads on Youtube about 9 months ago. I actually googled it on "How to block YouTube ads on Google Chrome." It has worked great...no more ads.:)

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

Another great feature on YouTube is that you can decide when a Video Clip will start. I have had videos where there is something inappropriate at the beginning or near the end of the video. I save the video by starting and ending the video at the time I prefer without the inappropriate material. It is a great feature.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

Not sure about the program given, but there are programs that copy you tube videos and then save them on your computer and then you can play them at school from the saved file.

12. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Aug 9, 2013

We always used YouTube Downloader at my school

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2013

Adblock extension for chrome will stop them, works on Firefox too.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2013

When I download clips, I don't have advertising.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2013

YouTube is blocked for us.

I recommend downloading videos and saving them via some media saver website (Keepvid has been mentioned) and showing them that way.

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 9, 2013

I don't know. I always download my videos at home. Our out-of-date computer system doesn't work that well.

17. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 10, 2013

Thats the best way. Using the adblock extension will remove all inappropriate ads in the videos and on the youtube pages themselves.
    Schools really need to stop blocking youtube. There is so much good free content for the classroom on there.

18. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 10, 2013

I like

http://safeshare.tv/

Paste your video link in the box and it will give a new link to save that pops up with no ads.

I save those links in my symbaloo and then have them no matter what machine I am on as long as I have an internet connection.

19. teachtofish

teachtofish New Member

Aug 10, 2013

I've been reading the forums for awhile now and learned a lot of useful tips (thanks!), but I finally registered to share this with you guys. I recently found out about this and I think its still fairly new.

It's a website called Huzzaz, which will play YouTube videos without the ads.

But another awesome part is that it lets you save and organize videos to your own collections. It's kind of like a pinterest for videos.

It's brilliant. I can save videos in to collections organized around any subject, easily find the videos, and play them from any computer without having to worry about ads.

20. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 10, 2013

Very cool, teachtofish! Thanks for joining to share :)

21. ReneeC

ReneeC Rookie

Aug 10, 2013

Thanks, I will give this a try!