In a bit of a quandry

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Feb 18, 2018.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Oct 13, 2015
    Feb 18, 2018

So, I'm sort of sitting on the fence here

First, I am relatively happy at my current school. My coworkers are fantastic, most of my admin is cool, and I love what I teach. I'm teaching primarily Dual Enrollment, AP & Honors with one regular class thrown in. I sponsor the after school drama program, with a great group of enthusiastic kids, as well as the National English Honor Society. The drama kids and I have definitive plans for the next few years, provided that they all continue on, and I have an AP who seems to really want to help on that front. The pay is decent, the commute is good, and in general, no real complaints. Next year, I will only have upper level classes, at least that's the plan now.

Our district is restructuring, and we are developing academies at each of our high schools. One is a performing arts academy, which is not located at my school. My school will host an academic academy--which I am slated to be in.

What I don't have at my current school is drama. I miss teaching it desperataly. Before I became a teacher, I worked in professional theatre, and I still volunteer at our local community theatre. Every school I've ever taught at until now I've also taught the drama class and run the program. My current school cut the elective this year, and more than likely, it is not coming back.

I am toying with the idea of transferring to the performing arts academy. It could be wonderful, but I am concerned that they are not going to put the money in that they neeed, and it will not be what they are proposing it to be--I still have a bunch of questions i need to ask the coordinator.

My dilemma is this--do I give up what I have to go to the new program--hope it becomes what it is advertised to be, but risk being severely disappointed and losing what I have? Or, stay where I am, and give up that opportunity, and perhaps watch it grow, and then because I didn't get in on the ground floor, lose my chance to be only a theatre teacher (which is my dream)?

Like I said, I still have a lot of questions to ask, and I will definetly ask those first, but just thinking out loud at this point. Any advice? Suggestions?
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 25, 2007
    Feb 18, 2018

I don’t think you forever lose your chance of teaching theater if you don’t do it now. There will definitely be bumps along the way as new academies are started, so I would stay put for now to see if the theater program takes off the way they say it will.
  4. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Dec 13, 2011
    Feb 19, 2018

This might be the greatest move of your career, or a huge mistake. Nobody can tell you which, and you must weigh the risks vs benefits on your own.
    BioAngel likes this.
  5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

May 29, 2007
    Feb 19, 2018

I left my very comfortable, happy classroom to be a literacy coach. I'm the first literacy coach in our division and I've had to create the role from the ground up. It's been a lot of work, it's been really hard, but it's been good and now, three years in, I can look back at what I've created and see such growth. Getting in on the ground floor means you get to be the one to establish an amazing drama program. It might not be all you want it to be at first (coaching definitely wasn't and still isn't yet!) but there is something really special about going first.

Classroom jobs will always come up, but this could be a unique career opportunity. Will you regret not going for it? That's what I had to ask myself before I applied for the coaching position. I was okay with not being offered the job, but I knew I would struggle watching someone else in the role if I hadn't at least tried for it.
  6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 4, 2009
    Feb 19, 2018

What do you know for sure about the performing arts academy? Do they have admin, yet? I'd research absolutely everything about the plan. Also, this sounds like some initiative that will be cool for a few years and the dissolve due to lack of funding. Are we sure the job is permanent?

I've been in 5 different schools including student teaching. Culture and climate is hands down EVERYTHING when it comes to a job. I could teach a very undesirable subject with amazing co-workers and supportive admin, but really struggle with the best assignment if the leadership isn't there. You'll have to decide if teaching only drama is worth risking all of that.
  7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 4, 2010
    Feb 20, 2018

I would stay. You're describing a dream situation and you would be giving it up for the unknown. How knows what will happen in a coupe of years? Drama as an elective may come back in, if not, you can still make a decision at that time.