IN 020 Middle School English Language Arts

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Valerie Lee, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Nov 11, 2016

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for passing this test?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 11, 2016

If you're not taking it for the first time, where did you get in trouble last time?

If you are taking it for the first time, what in the online outline of topics has you most concerned?

4. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Nov 14, 2016

I took the test once already. I scored a 182 and passing was 220. I'm looking for ideas as to what resources to use. I printed off the sample questions from the testing page and I printed out the standards and studied those the first time around.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2016

The score report explanation on the Indiana CORE website tells me that one's performance is analyzed by domain (subject area within the test) and reported for each as a percentage of questions correct. For 020, the online study guide tells me that these are the domains:

I. Reading comprehension and analysis
    II. Components and modes of writing
    III. Communication and media literacy
    IV. Middle School English Language Arts Instruction and Assessment

How did you do in each?

6. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Nov 15, 2016

I averaged around a 67% in all 4 categories.

Do you know if the study guides for the Praxis Middle School Language Arts test would be a beneficial tool to utilize?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 15, 2016

If the study guide covers most of the content you need, it could be helpful; you'll want to make sure, if you're not already pretty well versed in K-6 or K-12 reading instruction methodology, that it covers that content. Choose the study guide that most speaks to you (or puts you off least); for best results, work through it and supplement it heavily: look up key words online - Wikipedia is the test taker's friend, and in addition your searches may unearth some sites that will be useful helps in your future teaching.

8. Wendi Wallet

Wendi Wallet Rookie

Nov 30, 2016

I just started to study for this test and bought the Mometrix study guide because that is the only one out there. I took the practice test. I bombed the questions that asked about high school literature. Is this just an inaccuracy in the study guide or are there really questions regarding high school literature???
    I passed the Praxis for PA and NJ but IN wants me to take their core test before giving me my license. I have also taught on that license from 2007-2011. This shouldn't be that hard but I feel like the test questions in the study guide are way advanced for middle school licensing.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2016

Teacher exams routinely test content that's more advanced than the grade level of the license to which they pertain, on grounds that part of the task of teaching the grade level is preparing students for the content to come. Experience suggests that, other things being equal, those with a solid grasp of the more advanced content fare better in laying that groundwork than those who don't.

10. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Dec 2, 2016

Do you know of a good resource for information about classroom discussions? That is one area I have been searching for and cannot find a good solid resource.

11. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Dec 6, 2016

I'm feeling very defeated. I took the test again last night and didn't pass it. It had a lot of the same questions from the first time I took it. I'm so confused about what to do now to better prepare myself for the test. I mean I don't know how I messed on those questions the first time so to be asked a second time how am I suppose to know what is the right answer?

12. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

I am taking the test again tomorrow, this will be my third time. So stressed out about it and don't feel I am prepared because of the lack of study guides and not knowing how I got questions wrong last time. I mean I have my test results from last time but that doesn't help when some of the questions are the same.

13. Darcy130

Darcy130 New Member

Feb 16, 2017

Get the study flash cards.

14. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Feb 22, 2017

I took it Friday and once again didn't pass. What flashcards do you recommend?

15. Darcy130

Darcy130 New Member

Feb 28, 2017

I can't post the link. I got mine from Amazon. I put in the test 020 LanguageArts and the cards came up. The cards are made by Mometrix Media

16. Valerie Lee

Valerie Lee Rookie

Feb 28, 2017

Did studying with those flashcards help better prepare you for the test?

17. Darcy130

Darcy130 New Member

Feb 28, 2017

Yes. It's not the way I like to study But, the cards give the information you will find on the test. the cards are set up with a question on 1 side and long explanation on the other side. Think word problems. Its a lot of information. I did much better on my practice tests.

18. Jinotepe17

Jinotepe17 Rookie

Mar 24, 2017

I will look into these cards. I took it about 10 days ago for the first time and did not pass the MC part. I don't know about the essay yet. Thank you.