"Impressing the community"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 15, 2019

I had a weird experience the other day I've been trying to organize my thoughts concerning.

Mid-year DIBELS scores were returned. I thought mine were... well, really good. While the data shows a few focuses here and there, I had three students not make benchmark. One of these has some fairly severe learning disabilities (is on an IEP), one has spotty attendance and has already missed two months' worth of school this year (this is being looked into), and the third, well, there's a third.

Apparently having anyone not at benchmark according to some powers that be makes us look bad in the eyes of the community...

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 15, 2019

Benchmark is "average". As with any curve, when there's an average there are always those below and above that middle number. Anyone who doesn't get that... :confused:

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 15, 2019

I stopped caring about what the community thinks of my teaching many years ago. My job and goal is to ensure my students can grow academically, socially, and emotionally. I do not care about impressing anyone with my teaching. I have been told that I am a great teacher, though.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 15, 2019

And these are the people in charge of our schools...

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2019

Unfortunately, the only thing that most community members know about our schools is the school score on the state tests. And that score very often determines if the administration stays in their school...