I'm starting my student teaching next week!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Sep 4, 2017

My first day of student teaching is Thursday. I will be teaching 8th grade math. I met my mentor teacher who seems really nice and kind. One thing that I am worried about is that she is taking an 8th grade science section as well. She isn't certified in science and I don't know anything about science--it is my worst subject but I'm sure I can learn.

Does anyone have any tips for the first day of student teaching? I'm nervous but really excited. :) Thank you!

catnfiddle likes this.
  3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2017

Be ready and able to help with anything, never undermine the coop teacher in front of students even if you disagree with them, and be personable to students, parents, and staff. Good luck!

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Sep 4, 2017

Look for ways you can help without being asked. After observing how she does attendance, bus duty and so forth, ask if she'll observe you doing these small daily events and give you feedback. You'll do fine with the science.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2017

Another thing you should consider is after a few months if the principal isn't swamped consider asking them to observe you for feedback. If they have an opening in the future they might appreciate your actions.

Caesar753 and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  6. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Sep 4, 2017

Good luck. I hope the experience is great for you! Remember you got this!

7. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Companion

Sep 4, 2017

My main tip would be to realize that new things take longer to learn. I remember sitting at my mother's kitchen table at 11 prepping material. She said, AL are you sure you want to do this as a career? I said absolutely. I'm not still at the table at 11 - it gets easier but to do it well can be all encompassing when you start. Good luck!

8. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 5, 2017

Be proactive and show initiative. Don't complain about the workload or say you can't do this or that. The best thing your mentor can do is give you a realistic picture of what your future life will look like. And if possible, ask to observe other teachers if possible, even if for a day, because that will give you an insight of teachers of different styles of teaching and classroom management, which is always helpful.

9. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 5, 2017

Besides meeting your mentor have you sat down and gone over a plan with her? Much anxiety can be alleviated if you are on the same page in terms of communication, how/when/where, and what your role is the first day(s). For example, are you supposed to interact with students or just observe? If you are observing what exactly are you supposed to be looking for? You might query with something like "Is there anything special you want me observe or do?" It can make a big difference if you are involved looking for specific methods versus notes on everything that may mean nothing. One of the first data collection instruments I gave to STs was "Teacher Movement", a seating chart the ST used to track where I moved during a lesson.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Sep 6, 2017

I have sat down with her and talked to her, but we haven't come up with a specific plan. She said that when I feel ready to start jumping in more, I can but to observe to start out. I asked her if there is anything I need to help out with or do on the first day, and she said that I can just observe. On the first day, she's just introducing herself, explaining their schedule, and a quick activity if they have time. So it doesn't seem like there is a ton for me to help out with on the first day but I'm very excited! I am talking with her after school tomorrow when I'll hopefully get a better picture of what the day is like and I can hopefully ask her questions like you suggested. I like the idea of observing something specific.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Sep 7, 2017

So my first day is over! I'm waiting for my mentor to come back so we can talk. I do have a question. Is it ok for a student teacher to overdress? I wore black dress pants, a blouse and a black cardigan. I am so overdressed compared to everyone here and I'm not sure what to do/wear. My university dress code is dress pants or professional skirts but I feel out of place here. My mentor wore sandals, khakis and a cotton blouse. Other people wore sundresses and jeans so I'm just not sure what to wear to still be professional.

12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2017

I would over dress. They are comfortable in their jobs. You're on a 4 month audition.

bella84 likes this.
  13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Sep 8, 2017

Thanks! Is it normal for student teachers to dress more nicely than the staff? I just felt so weird about dressing nicer than everyone. The other schools I've been to, some teachers did wear dress pants so it was fine.

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Sep 8, 2017

My other concern if kind of hard to articulate. I love my mentor teacher but the classroom management aspect of this is honestly terrifying me. The classroom management on the first day was hard and the kids just didn't seem to listen to the teacher. This is a low-income school which is really different than the school I went to...so I am a little worried about taking over. The teacher was also surprised and she said that these students needed structure in their day. One thing I loved was how she was always so kind and positive with the kids...exactly how I want to be one day. :)

AlwaysAttend and CherryOak like this.
  15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2017

It sounds like you are with someone who identified a problem with student behavior. If she solves it you have a great mentor to learn from. If she gets them to an improved spot, she's still probably great. If they are walking all over her, look elsewhere.

As far as clothing, people dreas based on what they can get away with. That's been my experience. There are also people who like to dress fashionably regularly.