I'm so embarrassed

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by SoReady2Teach, Dec 6, 2010.

1. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Dec 6, 2010

Today was probably my toughest day of teaching so far. Add that to the busy time of year and life outside of school led to me crying in front of my mentor teacher today during our meeting. I felt a little relief letting it all out, but at the same time it was embarrassing to cry in front of another teacher. :unsure:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2010

I was on retreat last week with the principal, 2 other teachers and 19 Seniors/

I ended up telling the story of my niece, whose baby was born 2 months premature with birth defects. Kelly's husband walked out, unable to deal with having a sick baby, and the baby died shorty before her 3rd birthday.

I've told the story before, but this time I ended up in tears.

Tears, like laughter, is merely a sign of emotion. As a confirmed cry-aholic, I've become used to the idea that I cry.

The principal, being a total sweetie, casually mentioned to me the next morning that he had never heard Kelly's story before, and that it was amazing to see the inner strength that some people have. He made no mention of the tears, though it's not the first time he's seen me cry.

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 6, 2010

I don't think of it as a big deal anymore. I have cried in front of my teammates, my lead mentor, and a few other close staff members. I view them as my family, and I feel safe enough to let down my barriers. The other day at an awards banquet our AP started to cry when she started talking about how great our staff is and how much she has grown since joining us... this also led to many of us tearing up. We are still human, and all of us deal and cope with emotions differently. It's fine... I'm sure your mentor understands :)

5. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

Sometimes it just can't be helped. I think people who show their emotions are emotionally more healthy than those who don't and just bottle it all up inside.

6. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Dec 7, 2010

Ok I feel better reading the replies. It's nice to know I'm not the first and won't be the last to cry.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 7, 2010

I've done that many times this year!! I've had some challenges this year and there was a week in October when anytime I was asked how I was doing I would burst into tears.

We need to be honest with one another, and we don't always have to have it all pulled together.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2010

I usually start crying if someone cried in front of me. I can't help it. Someone crying makes me cry...

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 7, 2010

Aw, yes! Normally the kids' tears don't get to me, but after weeks of trying to figure out why my child that uses a wheelchair had been crying everyday wanting to be able to use the bathroom by herself like everyone else. I finally found out that it was because someone asked her if she wore a diaper, and when she said yes, the other child began making fun of her. It was a difficult conversation to have, having to explain to a 7 year old that she is always going to have to go to the bathroom differently. I thought I was really going to cry as I explained to her that it wasn't her fault- it was just the way she was born.

10. flutterbye

flutterbye Rookie

Dec 18, 2010

Last year was my residency year. I had a really bad day when everything went wrong all day long. My mentor teacher said something about how I seemed to stressed out in class that day and that my 'emotionalism' was effecting my students poorly.

At the time we had to vacuum our own rooms because the Janitor had been in an accident and had not returned to work yet. Our one other janitor just could not pull the whole load himself. I got the vacuum and the belt broke. I started laughing hysterically until I was simply sobbing from the sheer stress of having to much at one time.

The pre-k teacher came in, she thought I was laughing at first, it was hugely embarrassing, but I don't think until that happened anyone actually thought I was having any trouble. The first year is all bout the discovery that all that college had not taught me a thing about how to actually teach a class of real children who did not respond as the text book said they would to methods and strategies.

That was a turning point where I think my mentor got the idea that I needed more help than I was getting. While the rest of the year was still far more stressful than I had ever imagined it was going to be, I wasn't on my own anymore. That made a huge difference.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 19, 2010

I cried in front of my mentor too. No worries! :hugs: Teaching is hard.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 19, 2010

I've cried in front of my principal:blush: but I think almost every teacher in my school has... Sometimes I feel sorry for him :lol:

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2010

My favorite principal story.

My principal is a Brother, a member of a religious community. So he doesn't see the crying female thing as often as, say, a married man might.

When I found out I had to go for radiation, and that I was starting on Christmas Eve no less, I went in, in tears of course, to cancel on the Christmas party; I just wasn't in the mood to party.

He responded with kindness, saying that Ann had been through radiation.

"Oh, Ann P??"

"No, Ann M" he replied.

Unfortunately, we had just lost Ann M to cancer. As soon as the words were out of his mouth, I could tell he wanted to grab them back. So he tried again.

"Oh, and Brother M has also had radiation."

Now, while Brother M is still with us, let's just say that no one thinks he's winning the battle with cancer.

In retrospect, there are a number of people on the faculty he could have named, all of whom have survived both breast cancer and radiation. But I had put him on the spot and he simply couldn't think of any of them at that moment.

He's one of the kindest people I've ever met, and I'm priveledged to work with him.

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 21, 2010

:hugs:I understand completely. Today, I was taking a shower and just sat down on the tile and let the water run over me and had a good cry. :eek: When I stood up, I felt better.

Sometimes you just have to let it out. Your mentor teacher understood that I'm sure. So long as you don't do it in a meeting in front of your peers and the P, I think it's okay to cry occasionally.

The soul carries so much burden. Sometimes we have to lighten it.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2010

Same here! But I cry rather frequently. I was watching Ellen just a while ago and they pulled together a fake game show in order to give a mother a new car and a message from her husand serving overseas. I cried simply because it makes me happy when others are happy.

I was still an instructional assistant, but I remember when I cried in front of my supervisor when my husband (then boyfriend) called the office to let me know the latest on his ill mother...and that was that the bone marrow transplant hadn't worked and she would die very soon. I actually locked myself in a bathroom stall and my supervisor came in to check on me. Even though I had a solid reason to cry, I still felt very embarrassed...so I understand how you feel in that regard.

As you can see, many of us have cried in front of perhaps a less than ideal audience. It's okay. :hugs: