I'm moving!!! I need all of your help ; )

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MissE, Sep 6, 2006.

1. MissE

MissE Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

Ok....so this year I am working in the in school suspension room at the elementary school I worked in last year (last year I was a co-teacher in fourth grade) Bottom line is...it's not a classroom with the same kids everyday...I get paid by the hour (no contract)....I don't get benefits. I'm live in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm sick of having to work two jobs to support myself because I can't get a real teaching job to save my life. So after speaking with my administration I have decided to stay here for another year.....and then to next year move out of state to get the experience I need. (Then hopefully I will be able to get a teaching job in Pittsburgh within a few years)

Soooo.....I need everyone's help out there. If you are from another state send me a PM or reply to this post. I am interested in moving south....but then again I am up for suggestions. I guess it's basically like a sell me your city type of thing.....If you like where you teach and live....write to me about it and let me know why I should move there....then again if you hate where u teach and live please let me know that too....I don't want to make a mistake and be even more miserable away from my family and hating where I'm at.

I would really appreciate any responses. (If you could just tell me where u are from and what the general city is like and then a bit about the schools --unions?salaries?benefits?students?administration?) Thanks a million everyone!!!!::confused: :thanks: :)

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 6, 2006

What are your certifications?

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2006

On the job seekers forum, there was a post with a list of jobs...most in the FL or VA area. You might want to find out what other states your certificate covers before moving.

6. MissE

MissE Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

I am certified in elementary education K-6

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 6, 2006

Just got a student from Pittsburgh today why not have a teacher join him... we are going to have to have another Kindergarten, still need a 5th grade, and only like a few kids before we are going to have to have another 2nd and another 3rd grade (they have already added one 3rd grade since the beginning of school). Bless Governor Perdue and the class size mandate that he has established for this year. It is wonderful :)

8. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Sep 7, 2006

The thing is though, that you might need to move away. Pittsburgh might be one of those places that has one opening and 300 applicants. If I were you, I wouldnt even wait another year. Sure, the school year has already started for most schools...But I would still apply elsewhere. I moved from MN to Vegas. When we got a year under our belt, we got hired in southern MN...well, my wife did at least. Now, we just moved out to Wyoming and both are teaching, Im in 4th, and she is doing Title 1.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 7, 2006

Don't wait. Move now as soon as possible. Sure the school wants you to stay, but you need to take care of yourself.

10. MissE

MissE Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I can't move right now....I have family circumstances which require me to remain in this state until at least the end of this school year. I appreciate all the advice...but no one is really telling me about where they live which is what I'm interested in....

11. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

central Illinois

I live in central Illinos and it is a nice place to teach (I teach 2nd), but it was HARD to earn a position. I am convinced it isn't what you know, but WHO you know! I T.A.'d for a year before substitute teaching. I then applied for two long term assignments in one year and got them (at the same school!) I then got hired on there because the other teachers told the principal how good I am. Can you call your district and ask about the long terms? :) Don't give up!!!!!

12. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

I forgot to mention that there were over 3000 applications to this district...I AM NOT KIDDING!.....for 100 positions...most of which were high school.

13. MissE

MissE Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

There will not be any positions in the school that I am teaching in right now for at least five years. No one wants to retire!!!!!

14. lauranne26

lauranne26 Rookie

Sep 7, 2006

I actually left my hometown and homestate (suburban Philly) because I couldn't find a teaching job, so I feel your pain.

I have been in Maryland for over 7 years. I had no difficulty finding a job. Originally, I intended to move back to PA and get a job there, but I love it so much here, that I'm staying!

PM me if you want more info!