I'm Having A Bad Day

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Gwen, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 12, 2009

I had a parent show up this morning. Her child broke her leg and she informed me that she was going to just sit in the back of the room the whole day. Am I wrong or is this a bit extreme? My admin tried to talk to her but she told them that she would not leave. So the Principal told me it was well with in her rights to sit in the room. I'm really frustrated. I can just see this spriraling into all the parents wanting to stay in the class. I have parents that always want to be in the classroom and once they find out that this one parent is doing it I know that they will all want to stay in the room! I know I'm being overly dramatic but I want to cry right now.

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 12, 2009

Yikes! Is she planning to come back every day? You could always tell other parents that this was a special circumstance. Could you give her something to do while she sits there?

4. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

Wow! I am so sorry! I can't imagine... If her child needs extra help like maybe if both legs were broken...but this seems a little extreme. Does she really have the right to stay in the classroom all day? Does her child even want her in the room all day? I don't think very many of the kids I know would really want their parent to sit in the classroom all day. However, if there is nothing you can do about this, I agree with Sarafirst and talk with this parent and see if she wants to be kind of like an aide or something, help cut out stuff for projects or hand back papers or something. I hope she is just being overly concerned and that she decides her child will be just fine and she won't want to hang out all day! :hugs:

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 12, 2009

Put 'em to work!!!

Give her lots of busy stuff to complete (i.e., stapling, hole punching, grading, organizing, etc) and maybe that'll chase her away.

Honestly, I haven't had this problem (yet), but maybe that'll work?

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

I agree with YoungTeacherGuy, put her to work. Let her grade papers, see if she will copy stuff, pull out something that needs to be laminated and let her laminate and cut stuff out. Geez, if it's free labor and she's willing, exploit her! She'll grow weary pretty fast. If she knows it's bugging you she may stay longer. She's just a guest, do your regular thing. I had a parent angry with me once and said she was going to spend weeks in my room, I told her she was welcome anytime. She quickly tired of it and even commented on how did I stay calm when the kids were so terrible.

7. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 12, 2009

Well I made it through the day. I think what bothered me most about this was the less than 10 minute notice she gave me. I would have had stuff prepared for her to do had I known. At the end of the day I just told her that I hoped there were no hard feelings and that she is welcome any time but she needed to send me an email giving me proper notice. She seemed to understand and said that she will be in a couple of days this week. So at least I know now and can have things ready for her to do.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2009

What is the purpose in her being there??

Is it to help her son naviagte on crutches? Is it because he's home and she's getting the notes? Is she just a nut job helicopter parent using this as an excuse to hover?

9. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 13, 2009

Aliceacc, Thank you for the laugh. She is just in fact a nut job helicopter parent. Her child is on crutches and sits in a wheel chair for part of the day. She is there to make sure that her child is "safe and ok". I tried my best to assure her that her child will be safe but...no. She is not here today because she had somewhere to be so tomorrow when she has no plans I imagine she will be back at school. I am new to this school this year and the parent participation is a bit much. I may be in the minority in this thought but I feel that 2nd grade is a time where some parent volunteer time in the classroom is ok but all the time is to much.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2009

Hey, that's why they pay me the big bucks!:D

And what a good mommy-- making sure Junior is OK when it's convenient!!! If he was OK today when she had other plans, why on earth wouldn't he be OK tomorrow when she has nothing to occupy her time???

11. flteacher2

flteacher2 Rookie

Jan 26, 2009

First, if you are in Florida, everyone that comes onto our campus and is with the children has to be an approved volunteer with a background check done (Jessica Lunsford Act)... even the plumber. Our county also requires a 48 hour notice if the parent wants to come visit in the classroom.
    I'm sure she is just worried (?) I had a child in my room last year who was in a wheelchair for a couple of months, and thankfully I had no parent problem. I assigned him a buddy to wheel him where he needed to go, and let them leave a couple of minutes early to get to their destination so others wouldn't bump his leg. It worked out pretty well. Good luck!