I'm going to have a student teacher...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissJill, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Let me start this off by saying I'm SUPER excited. I think that it's great and I hope that they like me.

BUT this is my first year teaching, I hope I'm good enough for them! I'm totally nervous.

Any advice?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2009

I have never heard of a school district giving a first year teacher a student teacher. I guess you can both learn together. You will both be wonderful supports for each other. Good luck and have fun!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2009

WOW, only been teaching a year & you're already having an ST?! Was this your choice or your principal's to have one so soon? Do you feel you know enough to do this?

Anyways, no matter how your ST is, have fun & make the best of it. Be genuinely concerned w/ that person's success & be willing to go out of your way to help him/her, meaning, if you have to miss a lunch or break here & there of being w/ your usual teacher friends & colleagues in order to help your ST out, do it. That's the sacrifices a cooperating teacher (CT) has to make to be a GOOD CT.

Take it from me, I've had a total of 4 CTs in my life because I have 2 credentials & I'll say only 1 of them was genuinely fantastic. One of the others was pretty good, but the rest, eh. You don't want your ST to say that about you after it's all over & REMEMBER, THE ST WILL PROBABLY HAVE A CHANCE TO EVALUATE YOU TOO AT THE END, SO THIS WILL AFFECT IF YOU EVER HAVE ANOTHER ST IN THE FUTURE. :)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2009

I've never heard of a first year teacher getting a student teacher. In fact, it was a rule at my university that the teacher had to have taught for at least 5 years in order to have a student teacher.

Anyways, good luck! Make sure you make time to always sit down and talk about how the day went, goals, what went well, what didn't and what she could work on.

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Great advice!

I was lucky enough to have an amazing CT so I hope I take some of her wisdom and pass it on!

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Yea, I think at my school the rule as the teacher had to be teaching for 3 years. There were always exceptions to the rules though.

8. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Wow. I don't think I could have handled a student teacher my first year of teaching...I was still learning things myself!

But, you sound very excited and confident...I wish you all the best!

9. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 21, 2009

Yeah, in all of the stuff I have been told in my one education class so far, only a tenured teacher can have a student teacher.

Different requirements different states I guess :p

10. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

I'm in your state lol.

I think they're just going to be doing my math classes (I have 3 of them) so maybe that is why it is ok?

I have no idea LOL.

It will be good though.

I'm going to make a desk for them so they have everything that they need. (I want to put her name outside the door as well) I want them to feel like it is their classroom as well.

11. ZookeeperVA

ZookeeperVA Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

For whatever the reason they are letting you have a ST it can be a great opportunity because we all learn while we teach. I think it is great that you are not too far removed from your own ST experience so you know exactly how to make this person feel right at home and that your classroom is a safe learning environment for them.

I think you will both learn so much from each other and hopefully your ST is very enthusiastic like you are and your students will benefit :D

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Wow, I have never heard of this either! In our school teachers have to go through training to become 'mentor teachers' before they can have ST's. I hope that you have a good bond with this person and you can both help each other out!

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 21, 2009

You have three STs? What "exceptions" were used to select you? The three year rule suggests years on the job equates to excellence in teaching. If this is true, we seem to waste a lot of time measuring a teacher's effectiveness via observation, test scores, and professional development? Of all the ills in education assuming anyone can be an effective CT based on showing up is near the head of the line.

14. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Sorry about the typo in the quote. It is supposed to say "was" not as.

Anyway, what I meant was that the rule when I was in college was that the CT had to be teaching for 3 years, but they always made exceptions to the rules. When I was in college sometimes there weren't enough CTs with at least 3 years experience that wanted a student teacher so they had to start allowing CTs with less experience.

I was just asked today if I would mind having a student teacher and there was no way I was going to say no. :)

15. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

At my school we had 2 student teachers with first year teachers. I'd love to have a student teacher!

16. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Good luck! While I'd love to have a student teacher someday, you are certainly a better person than I, because there is no way I would have been able to handle a student teacher last year. First year is crazy enough...I barely kept myself afloat! I hope everything goes well, and good luck in your first year!

17. EpsilonBeta

EpsilonBeta Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

You're pretty close to your student teaching so I'm sure you remember part of what you like but a couple recommendations I would say:

1) Even if it's a small student desk space, give your ST some space that is "theirs" somewhere they can leave papers, plan lessons, have students meet them, etc. I never had my own space in my ST classroom and had to keep moving my box with me to whichever chair my MT didn't feel like using at the time.

2) Try to tell the students it is your "Co"-teacher rather than "student"-teacher. I lost a lot of respect from my high school kids at first because of the student title.

3) Slowly give your student teacher responsibilities. Start them off with just observations, then maybe an hour of teaching, and move up. It's not very fun to go from observations one day to teaching the entire day the next.

Good luck!

18. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Epsilon, that is some great advice!
    Thank you so much :)