I'm going in to school this weekend. :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 4, 2014

Well said,Christy

I have noted before that some posters on here must work in schools with more planning time, breaks, etc. Many of us do not. It is not that those of us who have to work extra aren't organized,using time wisely etc. That is not the case for me. I would love to work contract hours, but with increasing demands, it isn't possible to be effective with the time given to us. I am" working" much more this year than ever before. The expectations keep increasing, and they keep taking more of the daily 40 min. plan time for meetings, etc. I work through my 25 min. lunch, come early and sometimes take work home. I have gone in on a weekend, but that is rare. Many of our staff-new teachers and veterans-go in regularly on weekends.

2. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 4, 2014

I have only come in on the weekend like 3-4 times since I started working here 3 years ago. Mostly, I don't come because the school is alarmed. I now have a code though to get in, but I don't feel like dealing with it if I accidentally set something off. I also want to not feel like I'm always at school, so I don't go.

The times I did go, I did the same thing you did. I either had a lot of work to get done or to get organized, or I had a meeting on the weekend with a group I work with.

As others said, if I have work to do over the weekend, I will bring it home. I still work a ton from home, and haven't gotten to the point where I can't bring work home. Though I'm trying to get there. I do have to admit, that during my planning periods, sometimes I just like to sit and space out before my next class, or after the day is over. So I'm not the most efficient.

3. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Oct 4, 2014

I used to always go in for 2 or 3 hours on the weekend to do my planning and any leftover grading. I liked having the building to myself--no line for copier, no slow internet, no chatty teammates--I could get everything printed or arranged for the upcoming week, so all I would have to do with my evenings was grade and start thinking about next week's plans.

Our preps were always filled with meetings, student issues, and paperwork we had to do for data collecting. I much preferred taking a few hours on Saturday rather than having it hanging over me all week or having to stay after school/work evenings and sacrifice that family time.

Teaching cyber school has been SUCH a change with the time I get to plan and grade. Now I am an 8-4 teacher....we are given so much time to grade and plan that my lessons for November are done and will just need to be tweaked as I see what the students need.

4. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Oct 4, 2014

I usually go in on Sunday's but due to a long weekend Homecoming Week I went in today, Saturday. Or ally, I enjoy my stress-free, quiet weekends in th classroom; today, I had to deal not only with teachers, but also students, there for non-academic (aka, Homecoming Week) activities. It was miserable. I advocate after-school hours--honestly, you'll get more done, I promise--but choose wisely. (Speaking from a frequent weekender who actually goes to plan lessons, not pep rallies.)

5. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Oct 4, 2014

Eek! I was the victim of auto-correct! Sorry for the errors. I do hate that technology does not keep up with archaic grammatical rules. Lol.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 6, 2014

I have gone in on the weekends before. When I taught year round school, I always went in on the weekend before I went back on track to set up my classroom again. I really only go in on weekends for pressing issues like that, though.

I always take work home on weekends, but I don't go in. I work 25 minutes from where I live, so it's not like it's around the corner. Also, I don't want to actually go to school 6 days a week. Working from home is one thing. I have taken 2 or 3 bags of work home to avoid having to go in.

This is one of my problems, too. I'm nervous about the alarm!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 6, 2014

I ended up not doing any school work this weekend. I figured there was nothing that couldn't wait. I was right!

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 6, 2014

I go in pretty much every Sunday. I usually leave right away on Friday, plan from home over the weekend, and go in on Sunday for a few hours to prep everything, and make sure my room is in order. I usually go for maybe 2-3 hours.

I hate going in, but I love being organized. My goal is to start every Monday "caught up" for the most part.

9. melnm

melnm Companion

Oct 6, 2014

I try not to. I try to pick one day a week after school and stay later to get ready for the following week. Lately that has had to be on Fridays when I'm ready to just go home, but I prefer getting my work done at school, rather than having to take it home, though sometimes I still have to. I prefer to spend my weekends relaxing amd being with my family. School takes up enough of my time as it is.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 6, 2014

The school I teach at and the former school I taught at, both had alarms. At each of the schools, teachers had the password if they wanted to go in on the weekends. Could this be an option for you?

11. Oh.Wow

Oh.Wow Rookie

Nov 9, 2014

The only time I go into work on weekends is during term breaks, to reset my room, but I take work home frequently, and usually do at least a few hours work a week from home.

I have a very chatty colleague whom I adore, but she can make it hard to get work done. Therefore, I begun bringing my iPod to work, and when I'm working at my desk after school I put my headphones in and get working… it's definitely helped!

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2014

I used to come in almost every Sunday. The town I work in used to be in between where I lived and where I went to church, so I would stop after for a few hours. I loved the peace and quiet, and spent time cleaning, organizing, etc. It was also easier as a beginning teacher to sit down with one giant, undisturbed block of time to do all my lesson planning. But I was single, living 500 miles from home, and not a very social person. It gave me something to do on the weekends besides sitting at home or doing chores!

Now that I'm married, I'd much rather not spend my precious weekend time with my husband working at school. Also, we go to a different church now, so it's more out of the way to make a trip to school. That said, I'm here now because I went back to my old church for a special occasion today. Friday was a crazy day filled with special events, including Grandparents Day, so I wanted to pick up a little and grab a stack of papers that need grading. I'll work on them this evening while DH is working.

13. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 9, 2014

I usually stay at school until about 7:00 on Fridays so that I can get all my copies made for the week ahead, and I still bring stuff home over the weekend. I spent about three hours grading papers last night and still have to enter them in the computer. I don't understand how I can work all the time at school, I seriously don't have any down time, but I still get behind. :|

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 9, 2014

I go in almost every weekend.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2014

Right now, even though my wife and I are again living in the same place (we were in different cities for about a month and a half or a bit more), I still tend to pull late evenings and come in on weekends. The biggest difference though, is that I tend to only come in on days that she works, since her schedule changes every week and she tends to work at least one of the weekend days. Thus, unless it's nice outside, I'll probably find myself coming here on Tuesday on the day off :)

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

I used to go in all the time on Sunday. Our school is rented by a church, so I don't have to worry about the alarm. This year I've only gone in once on a Sunday. I was planning on going today to work on progress reports, but then I realized that I have no school Tuesday so I can do them then.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

Reading this topic has made me very grateful that I can't get into my school on Saturday or Sunday.

18. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 9, 2014

We can't get into our school unless certain people are already there, but being a high school, it's always open on Saturday mornings.

I work at the school 2 Saturday mornings a month anyway (tutoring and Drama), but it's nice knowing its an option if need be.

19. live

live Companion

Nov 9, 2014

I could if I wanted, but I prefer grading/planning comfortably on my couch. I also get a lot done throughout the week.

Work is a priority; however, spending time with family is number one.

20. melnm

melnm Companion

Nov 10, 2014

I stayed until 8:30 Friday night and got a lot done. I don't always do that, but things were piling up that I'd been putting off way too long! It felt good to get it all done.