I'm getting so frustrated.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Julie9789, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 14, 2010

You WILL find a position. Sounds to me like you should be counting your lucky stars!! Don't let it keep you down--it doesn't sound like it was you. I am a firm believer that when one door is closed, God opens another. So hang in there!

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2010

Sorry to hear this...I can only imagine how devastated you feel. What are your plans?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2010

You will be in a much better place. Can you imagine working there every day??

4. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Oct 15, 2010

Well, I'm still going to be on the sub list. So, I'll hopefully get day to day jobs. I however, will be removing myself from the list for that school.

My brother's girlfriend's aunt is a middle school principal and has several teachers that will be leaving on maternity leave in the spring, I'll probably get in touch with her about subbing there as well.

All I have to do is put in about 15 assignments and gather up my things. Walking out today will be hard especially if people ask me what I'm doing.

He asked me yesterday what my plans for next week were and I told him finishing up the math unit with a test on Friday, and starting a new selection in reading. My mom seems to think he asked so he could tell my replacement....the one he's probably had in mind this whole time. They interviewed someone before me back in September. That person probably needed time to plan and stuff. Whatever. He took advantage of me and the situation. The kids have no idea what's coming. Good luck to the new person, I guess.

5. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

You should have told him, "Looking for another position in a system where I can excell." :spitwater: What was he going to do - shave your head and send you overseas? :lol: (Okay, I sound catty, my cough medicine is kicking in.)

6. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Oct 15, 2010

I went in today (PD day) to pack up my things and leave. I forgot something and forgot to sign in (the secretary called me), so I went back up there. I walked in and a new teacher was already there! I wasn't even gone for an hour!

I told her I was just getting some things I forgot. She asked me if I knew where Mrs. W (old teacher, one I replaced) kept her reading curriculum. Not my reading curriculum, the old teacher's. Then as I was leaving, another teacher walked by and said "hey I haven't seen you in a while, how are you?" to this new teacher. Sooo I'm thinking this is a teacher that went on a leave of absence maybe to raise kids? And the P just needed the time filled until her paperwork went through. I was used. I've been crying off and on all day.

They basically threw me in the deep end with bricks tied to my ankles and told me to swim. I feel awful. Like I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong. Had I done everything right, would they have still found something to nit pick at?

When I was there, I should've said to this new teacher "oh I hope it wasn't last minute that they offered the position" because I'm thinking she's been planning and getting ready for a couple weeks now.

:( What a way to start my weekend.

I'll be emailing the principal later when I calm down. I'm going to tell him that I feel he was very unprofessional. If he knew another teacher was going to be coming in any way, he should have told me it was just a LTS position. I probably would've turned it down and stayed with Pre-K. :\

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 15, 2010

That is a very humiliating experience. My first job was tragic also, not due to the kids, but to the corrupt school. You should definitely email the P. Just have someone proof read it, I always have my husband read my email as to make sure I've chosen my words carefully and that I'm being unemotional.

Too often teachers as a group accept bad treatment out of fear, without speaking up, always being told to "stay under the radar"..which is what I was always told and what I see a lot on these sites. I don't agree with that.

Your email probably won't change his character, but it's great to let him know you were disrespected as a professional, and as a person.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2010

I know that it is difficult and you feel used. Be careful, however, not to burn any bridges--the education world is a very, very small place.

9. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 15, 2010

Very Sad

I am very sorry this happened to you,but you were set up. You were used just to fill in until the person he wanted was available.The principal is a jerk and is not worth an e-mail as he is well aware what he did.
    Good luck in the future. I hope you have a much better experience in your next position.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

I'm so sorry, Julie.

11. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

This is absolutely disgusting! I am so sorry, Julie.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2010

If you do write him a letter you might consider sending a cc to his superintendent or bcc. That is seriously slimy. Have you spoken to the union yet? If you are in public schools usually there are only specific times that a person can be fired. So the principal would be breaking ed code.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

If I were you, I would write that letter, with your words coming from your heart, and then throw it away. There's nothing good that will come from sending him a letter.

I had to work with a horrid Principal. He forced me to resign because he wanted his favorite pet teacher to have my position. She ended up getting a job at the district office and they ended up having to hire someone from the outside.

I was FURIOUS!!!! But, things have a way of working themselves out. My former Principal was forced to resign the following year and the new principal rehired me. I'm back at that same school!!!

You just don't want to hurt your chances of getting a job in the future by calling this principal out (principals do talk to each other...)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2010

I agree, absolutely.

What will it accomplish, other than making you feel vidicated? Are you hoping for a change of heart? Change of outcome?

All it will accomplish is make him feel vidicated-- show that you really don't get it (whatever "it" is in his mind) and that you're not the professional you want him to be. And he'll talk.

I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time. But don't burn your bridges.

15. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 16, 2010

Aw, I'm sorry this happened. It is too bad that you did this since you now don't have the PreK position either. But, as others have said, it's good that you found out sooner rather than later the way this P is. Could you imagine going through the entire year with the P breathing down your neck and telling you that you aren't doing anything right? I couldn't live like that. The job hunt process might be long, but a job is NOT always better than no job at all.

Also, I would suggest looking into some schools that might have posted positions within the last few weeks because of numbers. I know some of the VA counties are a little far, but Prince William has 21 elementary vacancies right now, and Fairfax has some too. Have you ever thought about a resource position (such as T1 reading or math, ESOL, etc)?

I would give yourself a few days to regroup before setting up interviews so that you have time to fully take in the whole situation. I know that I myself am a super emotional person, and I would break down just having to address what happened. I know it's not comforting to hear, but there IS something out there for you that will be a perfect match!

16. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 16, 2010

:yeahthat:

17. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Oct 16, 2010

I started a reply, but my computer froze on me. :(

That's true.

Maryland doesn't really post vacancies like most states. It's all through the grapevine and who you know. I know several teachers at my internship school are expecting, so I let the principal know that I'm "back on the market" and would love to come back to the school and sub...even last minute, as my apartment cuts my commute in half.

VA still has openings? Geesh. I'd look into if it was something that I could move over winter break and start like January 1st. I can't really afford a move right now not to mention the emotional toll I would probably suffer after this insane semester.

Through all that I have been through with this job, here's how I stand health wise (which I say is stress related):
    - Laryngitis started October 1st and I finally got my voice 90% back on the 13th.
    - Bronchitis started on the 10th
    - Now I have a double ear infection which started last night.
    -Swollen glands on my neck from a previous infection that I got around the 22nd of September.
    - and seasonal allergies on top of all that.

I'm a mess. I'm sort of glad I won't be working on Monday (I plan on blocking my phone for Monday on the sub list). Take that day to really rest and get better.