I'm done with my senior class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Mar 12, 2018.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 12, 2018

Just need to vent--

I have a class of about 20 seniors. In general, they are not bad kids---I have a few chatters, but in general, nice kids. I like them as people, but boy do they stink as students. About half the class is behind--they are not on track to graduate--don't have enough credits, haven't passed a single EOC test, things like that. I have habitual tardies, and several who skip or if they get permission to leave the room, they never get back.

No matter what activities I do, the majority of them will not do them. It can be boring (read from a book and answer questions), or hands-on, multiple activities. They do not care at all. The only time they will do work is if I physically give them answers--i.e. we read a poem the other day together and they had a study guide-we went over it question by question--and half got the answers from the others who completed it. I do a bi-weekly Kahoot for vocab review--all they have to do is log in and participate to get 100, and I have 5 that won't even bother to do that.

I've tried Breakouts--the response - this is too hard,I don't care. I have 98% failing in that class. And to make it worse, I have several students who are being enrolled in our online course at the same time, as a "backup"--sending the message they don't need to come to my class or do any work.

So, I now come to class, provide an assignment, and offer to work with anyone who wants help. No one asks, even when I go to them and ask them.

I know I shouldn't give up, but I don't see the point in putting in any effort to create assignments when they won't do them anyway.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2018

Since they're enrolled in the online course already, maybe you can assume the role of facilitator rather than instructor. Let them access their course online, while you provide support as needed. Would that work?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 12, 2018

In theory, yes, but I'm actually not the instructor of record. I can't access the materials. They could log on, but none ever bring their Chromebooks, and if I let them leave, they wander.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2018

Well that's strange. I guess I can understand why they aren't doing work in your class if they are also being required to do the same work online.