I'm discouraged

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by loveskids, Oct 27, 2016.

1. loveskids

loveskids Rookie

Oct 27, 2016

This isn't really a question. I'm a member, but haven't posted anything in several years. I sub at basically one school, and I've been subbing there on and off for about 8 years. I love all the students, and they seem to love me. Which is awesome. Okay, but here's the thing: I really HATE subbing most of the time. I need the money, and I love working with kids and I love teaching itself. I ALWAYS knew I wanted to be a teacher. What I hate is the fact that sometimes I just can't control the classroom, and I feel like I should be able to. I 'm just "Too nice", and I want the students to like me. I have been finding a lot of excuses NOT to sub when called; I guess I'm basically scared. I have had some really bad experiences, along with some good experiences. I only teach the younger grades, precisely for that purpose. Many of the kids at this school are very behaviorally challenged, a lot of behavior plans and IEP's. I got on here tonight, hoping to pick up some hints to strengthen my behavior management skills. I did get some good ideas. But I also read a lot that has me even more discouraged. I want to get past the fear and be able to benefit not just myself, but the students (of course!) Surviving would be nice, too!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 27, 2016

It might be hard to reestablish yourself after being at this school for so many years. Even if you try to be strict, the kids would expect you to be nicer, and it would be hard. I'm not saying not to do it, but could you sub at another school? Start fresh, put on your "strict, all about business face" and establish yourself there? Then you'll get some self confidence and classroom management skills and go back to sub at your old school as well.

4. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Oct 28, 2016

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017 at 9:32 PM
  5. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Oct 28, 2016

It's never too late to re-establish yourself as stricter and with more "mean it". That's what I'm learning this year! You can be strict and the students will still like you. Firm does not equal mean.
    Decide what behaviors you will not allow when you're in the classroom. Decide what consequence you are able to enact as the sub. And then state your expectations and consequences as soon as students come in, and follow through when they test you. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. (I'm a first year teacher so I'm still struggling with this, but I'm working on it and definitely seeing improvement! It took almost a whole quarter for it to sink in, but it's definitely getting better.) With subbing it's a little harder because you're not there every day, but the good thing is that younger kids really do want to please their teachers, whether they're subs or the daily teacher. It's almost faster to set those expectations as a sub because you have the benefit of kids still being in a sort of "honeymoon" phase with you; you're someone new and interesting, so they'll try to behave better to met your expectations. Even after 8 years, you can still re-establish your expectations and stick to them. The kids will love you for it!

Also, I agree that this all might be even easier if you switch schools, but it's not impossible at your current school.

6. loveskids

loveskids Rookie

Oct 28, 2016

7. loveskids

loveskids Rookie

Oct 28, 2016

Thank you SO MUCH for the replies and great advice! I really thought that any reply I might receive would involve how I was such a whiner and just need to suck it up! Actually, I do have another school I sub at on occasion (have only heard from them once this year, and was unavailable the day the wanted me for.) In this school, which is in a much higher income level district, the students' behavior is so much better, but the pay is MUCH worse. I'm sure there's a correlation, since the 1st school I mentioned has to pay "hazardous duty pay" in order to get anyone to sub! (Approximately a $50.00 difference!) It sounds like a great idea to try to reconnect with the second school, and "practice" my new personna and classroom management strategies there for a while, even IF the pay is a lot less. I also agree that I could probably try to change the way I relate to students at the first school, and attempt to try to be stricter, for their benefit as well as mine. One thing that does make it particularly difficult at the first school is that, even as early as first grade, all the kids CHANGE CLASSES. Just like high school. Every hour, a different (with some the same) group of students comes in, and the first group leaves! Not only does this make for the hallway and re-entering the room chaos, but it's impossible to learn names this way. I am in my 60's, so remembering all those different names just doesn't happen! i like using name tags, but it's pointless since it takes the whole class time to give out the tags. it gets crazy, and it's due to different classes being composed of different "ability groups." Groups differ for Math, Language Arts, Social Studies, remedial reading, etc. so you can see what subs are up against there. Anyway, THANK YOU again so much for the kind assistance and encouragement!