I'm addicted to my classroom!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Aug 6, 2010.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

Vent about myself:::::::
    Ok, I am NOT a new teacher. This is my 7th year to teach, but I love working on my classroom! It's like a major vice. I love to plan, plan, plan, - always trying to make things better! I just can't seem to pry myself away from school. We have 2 weeks till school starts (well inservice starts the 16th). I feel a compulsion to have everything ready before inservice.

I should be at home relaxing while I can, but I can't. I have to be in my class every day before school starts so I have to have things perfect. I know once school starts I will be too busy to make sure things are setup and flow nicely.

Man, I get on my own nerves!

3. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 6, 2010

wow.... are you my twin!

4. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 6, 2010

I'm like that, too. I know that when everyone gets back, people will be in and out asking questions, talking, looking for help, etc. I like the peace and quiet over the summer. I went in today to clean out my closet and unpack things, and I don't go back until after you do! OK, confession: we had an interview on Monday. I saw my floor was done, so I actually went in then for a couple of hours, too!

5. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I keep thinking about my classroom, but the A/C isn't on and it's just too darn hot to be in there. I dropped off all of my boxes the other day and thought I was going to keel over from the heat. As soon as the air gets turned on, I'm afraid I'll be at school as long as they let me stay in the building!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

I always feel guilty somehow if I am in the classroom over the summer when I "should be relaxing", but then I think about other folks who don't have the summer off...like my husband, he doesn't feel bad about working. The only difference is, he's getting paid to be there...

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

Yes! When everyone is back we all get busy talking, planning. So I do all my other stuff in the room now. I just hate that I feel I have to because I know I will long for summer days in a few weeks.

I don't need anyone else to drive me crazy = I do it good enough myself!:D

8. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I think, like the children, we all get excited with a new year and new possibilities! In May, I can't wait for vacation. In August, I'm ready for a routine. Your room is YOURS and you get to do or undo as you please (within limitations, of coarse). And it's your craft. It's what you do! This will be my 12th year teaching and although I'm itching to get back it's taking me all I have to not go in. Of coarse, I taught summer school in June and my room was ready then. Everyday, I went in 30 minutes early and stayed 30 minutes later.:lol:

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

You are so funny, because you are exactly like me! Today was my first day away from my classroom in the past week, and all I could think about was what I could be doing if I were there. I made myself stay home and clean, but I didn't want to!

I'm the same exact way, though. I'm always trying to think of what I can do better.

10. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I am exactly the same way!! My mom was teasing me the other day and said that I always get to go back to school shopping!

I love working on my classroom.

11. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 6, 2010

i went out to dinner last night with 4 of my coworkers... they were making fun of me at first for how much i have been doing this summer. however, towards the end of the dinner i think i made them nervous and they were telling me how they had to catch up to me now.

oh,and we can't get into our classrooms until the 23, we start Septmeber 1st... the time is killing me, i want in!!!!

12. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Let's see, the last five years, I have had to pack-up my classroom and move to a different classroom. So because of that, I go in sporadically throughout the summer to unpack my boxes and organize my materials and figure out how the layout of my room is going to look like.

I enjoy going in a couple of days during the summer where no one is there. I get a lot accomplished without people there. In fact, I work with another teacher (co-teaching model) and sometimes do not tell her when I go in so that I can get my things done. I love working in my room and try to make it better and more exciting for my students. I do not go back until Sept. 1st.

I am going away for the next two weeks so I won't be able to work in my room. A time to relax and go to the shore!!!!

Also, I am hoping to stay in the same classroom next year...

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2010

I did this for years until I realized that I deserve a life. I really do. I was taking away time from other important aspects of my life. Having children helped me to find my balance. Good luck!

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

yes I have kids and bring them with me to "help". They enjoy it too. Yes I know my weirdness has rubbed off on them.

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

Jem once said that the decorating and getting ready was her "hobby". I liked that explanation and have adopted it. I really really enjoy organizing and making posters on Publisher and buying little doodads.

On the other hand, I seriously cut out buying school supplies for the kids except for buying a few composition books when they were on sale for 50 cents. I bought about 14 of them. And today was the second day of school and about 14 of the 5th graders still hadn't a composition book even though it was on the list sent home and posted at Open House.

So what did my mean stingy self do? I recorded their names, gave them a book, and told them they owe me 50 cents. And that I had better not catch them eating any ice cream at lunch until they had paid me. Hey. I'm not Wal-Mart. Take care of your kid. Step up, parent, you can afford to buy your child a composition book instead of waiting for someone to take care of it for you.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2010

You are a twin of mine, also... right down to the 7th year. I AM going to have nearly everything done before inservice. :cool: I feel like my room is going to be truly sensational this year... I love the theme, layout... everything.

17. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I really think going in over the summer is fine. You can go in at your own pace, sleep in etc. The more organized you are, the better.

So, I don't think anyone should feel guilty. Spending the time in the classroom is enjoyable. It helps your school year run smoother.

Someone said to me that teaching was not a job, but your life's work. I think that is very much how it is. :)

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I feel much better that I am not the only one that gets true joy from being in my room. I guess it is my hobby. That even sounds better than an addiction.:rolleyes:

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2010

Hi, my name is Patti, and I am a classroom-aholic. I was unable to get into my classroom this summer because they turned the air off and, believe me, you do NOT want to try to work in this state without it, lol! Technically, we aren't supposed to have access until Monday, but I already have my key! I've been in my classroom every day for the past week. I don't technically have a theme, but I have been painting like crazy. Most of my kiddos don't have a nice place to call home, so I like to make our classroom look as nice and "cozy" as I can afford. Luckily, my hubby considers my teaching as a ministry, so he doesn't fuss (too much) about the expense!

20. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

I am so happy I'm not the only one!

21. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I am the same way, but different. I can't think clearly until my room is up. So, I hurried and put my room together so now I can do what I like best - plan how/what I will teach and improve.
    I am on my 3rd professional book this summer (and one of them, When Readers Struggle, was not easy! Infact I read it last summer as well). After this one, I will be done until next summer. I can't read them during the year.
    So when everyone else is decorating their room and fighting for the laminating machine, I'll be sitting at my table with the curriculum sprawled out and doing various things to prepare me for the year.