If there are to many teachers and not enough jobs why don't colleges cut their teache

Discussion in 'College' started by tgpii, Apr 6, 2012.

1. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Apr 6, 2012

If there are to many teachers and not enough jobs why don't colleges cut their teacher programs? :2cents:

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2012

Then how are they going to keep their professors employed?
    You are right! There has got to be a point where they have to put a hold on it UNTIL all the graduates of the last 2 years are employed.
    Rebel1

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2012

Because colleges aren't in the employment business, they're in the education business.

Besides, you may very well go to college in one place, then find a teaching job in another.

And some of those graduates may never find a teaching job; they simply may have made a poor career choice.

People who entered teacher education programs in 2007 had no way of knowing that the economy would tank in 2008. Likewise, we have no way of knowing how long it will be until things improve.

Should colleges close their doors completely until all fields open up? Take a look at recent accounting and business majors; things have been rough there too. I have a number of friends who worked in and around Wall Street who have been out of work for a while; this phenemenon isn't limited to teaching.

In this part of the country at least, education has been a brutal job market for at least 40 years. Anyone around here who didn't know it simply wasn't paying attention.

5. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Apr 6, 2012

My university cut more people from the teacher ed program than they let in. One mistake and you were out. One bad grade and you were out, even if you tried to retake the class. I used to think that was really awful of them until I saw what the market was really like, and now I get it. They were actually doing those people a favor. I grew up in a family of teachers, so of course I "knew" what the market was like- but it was different actually experiencing trying to get a job in it! I was dual certified and had also minored in Spanish, so I thought that alone would put me above other candidates. Little did I know that thousands of other grads were dual-certified too. A job in my hometown opened up where the person had to be gen ed elementary certified and special ed certified. The job was never even posted- I found out about it from a friend's mom, walked my resume in, and got an interview. Turns out, they had over 60 people apply, in a tiny, tiny town for a job that required a very specific certification and one that was never posted/published- that was all through word of mouth! I think colleges need to take more responsibility for a)making sure the people they're graduating are employable, and b) helping those people find jobs. My school did a great job with having a rigorous program, but there weren't really any "career services" to help us look for jobs. We never learned how to write a cover letter or a good resume, about places to search, we never did mock interviews, etc.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2012

$$$

7. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2012

They've been threatening to cut admission into our credential program for years. But that's because of state budget cuts, not the lack of jobs in education.

8. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Apr 21, 2012

Many popular medical programs have limits...I don't think it's because they don't have enough professors/resources but because the fields are that competitive. Seems reasonable to me to do something similar with education. But, really, I just think more teaching programs should have tougher requirements to be admitted. It's amazing what the ones I am aware of accept.

9. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

11. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Apr 22, 2012

If a college recruits students by featuring a department which works to place graduates, then should most certainly work to make that happen and there should be evidence of their efforts. But, come on...there are no guarantees. If the school hosts job fairs, offers to help with building resumes, has mock interviews...I mean, really, they are trying.

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 23, 2012

You are not promised a job if you get a college-degree. You are not promised success in your chosen field, with or without the help of university staff. Colleges and universities offer education in multiple fields and areas. YOU choose the area(s) that you want to pursue....then YOU pursue the jobs when you've gained your education. The only obligation a college or university has is to prepare you for a job in a specific field or area. They do not have an obligation to find a job for you.

Welcome to life in the real world.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

:lol::lol::lol:

Wow, an online suit with an additional $2000 for the stress of being unemployed??? Based on this article alone, I think I can see why the plaintiff is having a bit of difficulty finding a job. She looks like a petulant toddler, having a tantrum because the world doesn't fit her definition of "fair.". I sure as heck would NOT hire her as MY lawyer.

I'll echo what the others have said. Education is not the same thing as job placement. College gives you the tools. What you do with those tools, what restrictions you or others place on the use of those tools-- those things are not things colleges can control.

14. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2012

^^^
    I read a different article and it says that she thinks she should get interviews because of her perfect attendance and her 2.7 GPA.:dizzy:

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Fanatic

Apr 23, 2012

:lol: If she's so brilliant why didn't she get a 4.0 haha

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2012

They actually announced on our local news last night that education and nursing were the most employable jobs while engineering, business, and humanities were the least employable. They have over 400 graduates in education at LSU for this spring and graduated a similar amount last year. My daughter was lucky and actually had a job before graduation but we were able to pull some strings for her but many of her friends that graduated with her last spring still do not have job.