IEP Goals for Absenteeism

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Bumble, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 17, 2010

I have to write IEP goals for kids who are chronic absentees. I have no clue how to write an IEP goal for this.

This is what I have so far:

Student will decrease her rate of absenteeism by 25%.

Is this a good goal? So far the student has been absent 19 times and late 32 times.

Thanks in advance! :)

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2010

Is the child in fourth grade?

If so, I honestly think it's unfair to give an IEP goal for absenteeism. It is a parents job to get their kids to school when they are that age. Same with tardiness.

If there are behavioral issues that are preventing the child from making it to school on time, or at all, I would tackle those specific problems.

The tough part about an IEP goal for absenteeism, is how can you work on it? If you're the teacher of record, it's almost impossible to "work on" absenteeism. So essentially you have a legal document that you're responsible for, with a skill that you can't work on.

Just my thoughts!

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 17, 2010

The kid is in 4th grade and our school is forcing us to write IEP goals for absenteeism! It is crazy talk! This is why I'm having a hard time doing it.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2010

That IS crazy talk. An IEP goal (as the case manager or teacher of record) is something that you should be able to implement an instructional program for in the school. You can't determine whether a kid would be absent or not? Perhaps you could do something like this:

Student will be able to identify the consequences of chronic absenteeism.

Student will be able to maintain a school attendance chart to help keep track of appropriate school attendance.

Student will be able to participate in an attendance incentive program to increase school attendance.

Somehow make it things that you can actually work on!!!

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2010

And if you do go for the actual attendance goal, I would go with the positive!

Student will increase attendance at school by __%.

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 17, 2010

good deal! Thank you!