Identifying Story Characters in Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by justfine, Nov 27, 2008.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Nov 27, 2008

I am going to teach a kindergarten class how to identify the characters in a story. I am planning to use the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear...I need some ideas on differentiating the independent work part. When I send them back to practice, what kind of activities should they be involved in at that level (kindergarten).

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 27, 2008

I'm not sure but I am wondering if that is a good book to use. Every animal mentioned is a character. Wouldn't something with a little bit of a story be better? What I am getting at is every noun in that book is a character. Take the Three Little Pigs for example, they can learn that even though there are many items mentioned and different settings, there are still only 4 characters in the story.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 27, 2008

I thought the same thing as Lemonhead. I would choose a story where the characters were a part of the action - any fairy tale would do. As to the independent work part - if you had a cut-and- paste activity, maybe a primary story map where they could write a few words about the characters for the more advanced level students.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 27, 2008

Yes or they could draw their favorite character and what relates to him/her. So if it was Jack and the Beanstalk, they could draw Jack and some beans or the giant and some gold. You get the picture.

Lemon

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 27, 2008

I agree, it needs to be more of a story with a limited number of characters. I would do something with matching where they match each character to something they did in the story.