Ideas on marketing yourself as a sub...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by JadeCrane, Jan 27, 2009.

1. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 27, 2009

In the interest of not having to type this over and over I am c/p my whole schtick that I give whenever people ask me about this - by all means - please feel free to add your own helpful tips...

3. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Jan 27, 2009

I'm sorry, but this is spam. I know that a lot of teachers would not appreciate this.

The only reason I have ever emailed a teacher was because I either a) forgot to mention something in a note or b) had another issue or concern to address

For example, one time I was subbing, a child's mother came to the school to look for her son after dismissal. The mother saw the teacher in the school and asked where he was at and if he was dismissed. The teacher then came upstairs (and I was still there cleaning up) and asked me about it. It helped because I knew exactly who the boy was (after being there for only a half day and with them switching classes) and then emailed her later asking if he heard from the mom. It ended up that the boy went to a friends house (he's old enough, but still...) She thanked me for the concern and said she would be glad to have me back (especially since the children did not get along with a lot of the subs they have had recently).

I think the best way to get jobs is to simply be yourself and be serious about your job. Teachers tend to brag about the subs that they had that were great (especially when you sub for them when they are at in-school meetings and they can see your progress when you return).

4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 27, 2009

I tried emailing a teacher but his email address was not working or something.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2009

Here's all I've needed to do that's worked:

- Made business cards (which I don't really need to do anymore)

- Not after I subbed for a few yrs or so did I start emailing certain teachers/SLPs just so they'll know that I'm available & givingt them my sub # & days available.

- Just the fact that I've been a sub for a very long time. I've gained a great reputation in my 30+ school district, especially amongst the speech-language pathologists, so I get long-term jobs very regularly.
    This isn't the 1st time since I've started subbing that I have my own district email as if I'm a permanent emplyee, so for just a sub to have that tells you something! :)

- BTW, there were times that I've subbed at more than 1 district, but I hardly ever worked at the others & the 30+ district paid more anyyway.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2009

I would also like to add (and it goes without saying) that just doing your best and takng the job serious is a great way to build a great reputation.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2009

I emailed a lot of my teachers ahead of an assignment if it was a planned absence. They never saw it as spam and were actually pleased that they had an enthusiastic teacher in the room. Emailing the whole school, on the other hand, is bad form.

As for marketing one's self, drag yourself out and around during lunch (yes, that dreaded Lounge). Stop in to say hello to the teachers on either side of the classroom you're in. I received tons of requests for me based on conversations in the hallways before school started. Chatting with the principal on a regular basis during lunch didn't get me a job at his school but DID give me my best reference that landed me my current job.

8. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 27, 2009

Not spam. Spam is indiscriminate and repetitive in nature. Sending to teachers in a district you are signed up to work in, one time to let them know who you are and how you may be able to help them is neither indiscriminate nor repetitive. I would hardly call emailing 20-30 teachers at a time mass-mailing either.

By all means, use your best judgement and don't do anything you are not comfortable with. Others should consider that it is not easy to chat with personnel if one is not even in the building.

9. teachnfl

teachnfl Rookie

Jan 27, 2009

TamiJ, I totally agree!! This is the GOLDEN RULE in subbing------all other self-advertising tactics are secondary to this.
    If you are conscientious in following the sub plans, smile and treat the students and staff with dignity and respect (even though you don't always receive respect in return), and always leave the room BETTER than you found it-----then your name and good reputation WILL GET AROUND the school.
    That said, in addition, it is always a good idea to give a post-it note (or business card, etc.) with your number and contact info on it to the neighboring teachers. ;)

10. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 27, 2009

Uhm - yes. Of course. This goes without saying. However, many are concerned about getting in the door... can't really take your job seriously and do your best if you can't get in the door... I hear a lot of talk on this board about people who can't get assignments. I suppose I should have mentioned that it was primarily those folks I was trying to reach with this post. Thought it could be inferred, but apparently not.

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 27, 2009

I agree we should all market ourselves if we want to get regular assignments.

Observing teachers is also a great way to make yourself known and it shows that you do care about being a great teacher. That you are willing to learn from them. I am going to observe a teacher next week and I will definitely let her know that she can request me to sub for her.

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2009

I agree! There are some teachers that allow themselves to be emailed when their jobs come up on Aesop. I will sometimes email them a quick message - asking if there's anything in particular that they want me to know before I go in to work for them.

I would not send mass emails to teachers.

Also, I agree with those that said you "market" yourself by doing a good job - following lesson plans, managing the class well, leaving the classroom in neat order, writing a detailed note about the day, and so on.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2009

Jade,

On your initial post you asked for others to add to your advice about marketing one's self as a sub. I think it is critical to look at all view points and opinions from all persons here. I'm not sure why you would have asked to add to the advice if you were going to lash out and criticize sound advice. In addition, you might not be aware of the way you are coming off, but the "tone" in your comment is very rude and wreaks of sarcasm (of which I am well versed in myself).

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 27, 2009

I agree!

What works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

Also, what works at one school, might be unacceptable in another.

By giving a variety of ways to "market yourself as a sub," other people can best choose what will work for them in their particular area. There is no one right or wrong way to do this.

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 28, 2009

GlendaLL that's what I believe too!

16. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 28, 2009

My point - once more - is that I was trying to address the concerns of people trying to get their foot in the door. It seems obvious to me that once one is in and does a good job, basic word of mouth can take over from there. Additionally, the assertion was made that I was spamming teachers. I do not care for that assertion and wanted to be clear that sending an email one time to a group of teachers in a district in which you are cleared to sub is neither spam nor a "mass" mailing.

Sorry for trying to help. I shall control myself in the future. It won't happen again.

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 28, 2009

You really don't need to get so defensive!

You shared what works for you.
    Others shared what works for them - and what would not be appropriate in their work situations.

Other substitute teachers can choose what works for them - at the schools where they work.