Ideas for teaching left and right

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 8, 2003

Does anyone have a effective way to teach left and right to kindergarten children? I have used L stamp on left hand, R stamp on the right. I have misplaced a poem-chant I used at one time. Something about - This is my right hand. I wave it up high.
    This is my left hand. I touch the sky.
    Thanks in advance!
  3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Mar 9, 2003

I don't have a lot of ideas for this, but it may be easier to teach them only their right hand. Then they know the other hand is the left.

Most of my kindergarten kids knew their right hand by about mid-year. I attribute this to a couple of things... We learned our right hand for doing the Pledge of Allegiance once a week... and at the end of the day, kids who followed the rules all day got a hand stamp. I always put it on their right hand. Every day they had to think about which hand to give me, plus they had the stamp to remind them until they washed it off.

You could do other things with the right hand... shake their right hand when they come and/or go... put lotion or something smelly on their right hand... etc....
  4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 2, 2002
    Mar 9, 2003

Follow these directions and let me know if you 'see' what the lesson is.
    -put up both hands with palms facing away and finger tips to the sky
    -point both the thumbs to touch each other
    -one of the hands will form an L and the other a backward 'l'(the pointer finger and the thumb.
    -The hand that makes an L is LEFT the other is RIGHT

When i was a kid it was always the hand you put for the pledge is your right but that was never effective. Using the thumbs the kids will use forever and get it correct.
  5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2002
    Mar 9, 2003

I like that thumb method, also.

Have you done the hokey Pokey? Read the very simple story, My Friend Goes Right. (UMMmmmm .. it could be, My Friend Goes Left. Think so, actually.)
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 9, 2003

7. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Oct 3, 2002
    Mar 10, 2003

We sing a song:

Do gestures accordingly

Left, middle, right (middle is both hands together in front of you)
    Left, middle, right
    Left, left, middle, and right

Most of my preschoolers can tell you left and right. We do this song everyday in circle.