Ideas for Science Exhibit

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachDW, Apr 21, 2017.

1. TeachDW

TeachDW Rookie

Apr 21, 2017

Hey there guys! I'm glad to be here. I'm looking forward to sharing my ideas with you.:)
    I'm a Science Teacher in middle school. There's an upcoming fair and I'm currently fishing for ideas for the exhibit. Can you suggest me fun and exciting ideas that are appropriate for middle school level students for the upcoming Science fair? Appreciate your suggestions.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Apr 21, 2017

We just had our school-wide science fair. Weeks ago I started my students on their search for projects by telling them to google "Science Fair Projects". The students came up with some really neat projects this year.

TeachDW likes this.
  4. rpan

rpan Rookie

Apr 21, 2017

I saw this idea on the teaching channel and it was about designing and building cars made entirely of edible items that can go down a ramp the quickest. It looks really fun and I'm implementing this in my STEM program!

TeachDW likes this.
  5. TeachDW

TeachDW Rookie

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:54 PM

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I like that building car idea. I think that's interesting :)
    I have found this Orbital Speed project that will show how satellites orbit. They just need washers, glass cup, and string. What're your thought on this?

6. rpan

rpan Rookie

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:28 AM

If you are interested in the edible cars building comp, you may wish to watch the video on the teaching channel. Google teachingchannel.org edible cars and you should find it. Good luck!

TeachDW likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:22 AM

Another thought, depending on how much preparation time you have, is to organize an actual science investigation. This type of display usually doesn't have the same pizazz as a project display, but is closer to the actual process done by scientists. I'm assuming this is a group endeavor rather than individualized. I'd recommend brainstorming with students for a question that can be answered by experimentation, researching about the questions, then performing an actual experiment. Some science fair investigations I've seen elementary students perform: What makes my cat purr? Which chemicals clean the best? An investigation about falling dominoes. An investigation testing how objects fall. To add a little showmanship to the display, possibly some music could be added; often classical music can be found to fit the display.

8. TeachDW

TeachDW Rookie

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:27 PM

Thanks, rpan. I'll definitely watch that.
    That's a nice idea, Obadiah. I'm more interested with the falling dominoes. It would be better if they are able to show how the distance affects the speed of falling effectively. Is it better to lay the blocks in just a straight line or make several curves?

9. Obadiah

Obadiah Cohort

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:06 AM

I don't remember the exact details of this student's experiment, it was many years ago, but I do remember his work was quite impressive. I'd probably have the students experiment with different arrangements: straight, curved, at right angles, evolving into two lines rather than one, are possible avenues of exploration. I especially liked your idea of experimenting with the distance and with timing the dominoes. Perhaps today's video technology could be incorporated somehow, also. I was thinking, dollar stores might be a good place to cheaply purchase Dominoes.

10. TeachDW

TeachDW Rookie

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:54 PM

Great idea. I think they would be able to make comparisons when they use different arrangements. Music will definitely make it more interesting to watch. Since we really need a lot of Dominoes, I think we need to get it from a thrift shop.