Ideas for a theme for Wester Decor

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mama P, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

Our school is using a western theme this year. Does anyone have some cute ideas for "decorating" with western and for a western bulletin board? Last year I used frogs and put Hopping into ____grade and had a big frog scene and the students names on frogs. That is how I had my classroom door decorated. Now, I am looking for a "catchy" theme to use for western. I would love any of your ideas and/or pictures!! THANKS!:p

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

Word Wall

I did a Western theme last year and put up "Word Round'up" on my word wall with a big thick lasso around the whole board. I found cute western cowboys, kerchiefs, boots, etc in a packet for about $10 and put them all around the rope so that it looked like the cowbow was holding the lasso.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 7, 2007

You could put everyone's name onto a cowboy boot and say "Kicking into a new year"

Just a thought

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 7, 2007

not sure of a saying you could use, but you could staple those plastic mini cowboy hats from party stores to make a cute 3D BB.

also could use bandanas, sherrifs badges, twine, rope for some awesome accents.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 7, 2007

I wanted to go from frogs to western this year, but decided against it since we're moving to a new school and I might have to buy bookcases....ugh.

I saw some really cute western things in the hands on catalog for Oriental Trading. The catalog's website is www.handsonfun.com.

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2007

I also saw someone do a writing assignment using "wanted" posters...only instead of crimes, they would say "wanted for being a great speller" or something!

8. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jul 7, 2007

Hats, boots, horses, cows (cow print), wagons, false front buildings, boards, wildflowers (hollyhock and sunflowers), windmills, wheat, bandanas, waterwheel/pond, rope, hay bales, barns, gingham, gardens (behind the farm house), horseshoes.

Just some ideas.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2007

Tally ho! For the math board, or tallying books read or some sort of chart system.

Giddyup! Cowgirl or Giddyup! Cowboy for hall passes, or bathroom passes. I don't know what else that could be used for.

Hats off to ____ reading, writing, math or whatever. Have a cowboy hat board. Or Hats of to __ grade. With the names on the hats like paperheart mentioned above.

Roundin' Up Readers, with a lasso, and some sort of book display

I found this website, but it's for music teachers. It has some ideas, though.

http://www.musicbulletinboards.net/THEMES_cowboy.htm

10. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 7, 2007

Scootin' into ______ Grade - Have names on cowboy boots.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 7, 2007

Rootin-Tootin' Good Readers...

then again... you don't really want them tootin'.... LOL

12. Carolyn

Carolyn Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

I have a western theme in my classroom. It's not hard for me because I'm a cowgirl myself.
    I have a "computer corral" a BB to display their writings from their journals. They each have a small lasso with their names written inside the lasso. It is placed on their writing sample to display who it belongs to.
    My behavior chart is of horses with their name on them. I have a red, yellow, and blue lasso. Yellow is warning, red is 10 min. off of recess, blue is conference with student and note or call to parent.
    When they "mess up" they have to "move their horse" under the correct lasso.
    My library has the carson delosa fence with a life size pony that I drew and painted standing behind the fence. This is placed on the wall in my library workstation. I have a red/white checkered table cloth on a small table and some stuffed animal horses they can sit on while reading a book. My station is called "Reading Round up"
    I've used bandana's to cover table tops and book shelves.
    You can take grass rope and hot glue it around coffee cans to hold your pencils, scissors, etc..... You can also spell out words by hot glueing it on poster board. This is what I did for my "Computer Corral"
    My rules chart says, "Whoa!" and it has the rules on it.
    I could go on and on, but I didn't know if you needed decor ideas or BB ideas, so I'll stop here. :) Hope this gives you an idea.

13. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Thanks for all of the GREAT ideas!! I am really getting excited now about working on my classsroom! :thanks:

14. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

Thanks for all of the GREAT ideas!! I am really getting excited now about working on my classsroom! :thanks: :angel:

15. facsteacher

facsteacher New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I am doing a western theme, also, but need a slogan...i teach 7th-12th Family and Consumer Sciences....Last year I did Dive into FACS, but am at a loss for words this year~~

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 21, 2007

I took black photo paper(thicker than bull. board paper) and drew an outline of a coyote. I will tie a bandana around it and I am going to put wheat in long planters and decorate around my door. I am cutting out a cowboy holding a rope and writing "Mrs. M is rounding up the best students."

17. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

When I did this theme I went to goodwill and got some inexpensive boots, then I put plants in them to warm up the room.

18. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 21, 2007

I did a western theme a couple of years ago.... my favorite part was I printed "wanted" posters. I took each childs picture with a bandana and a cowboy hat on and put it on a wanted poster! They were really cute!

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

These are soooo cute. You could make fence posts and fencing and say 'Welcome to our corral'. Cover a BB with bandanna fabric, make pillows out of bandannas. If they hang backpacks, you could say 'Hitch your horses here,' or something. You could do reading around a 'campfire'. I did that once and used the bright metallic red Christmas wrap crinkled under real branches to look like fire.

I like the silhouette idea, mrachelle. My sister made a cowboy silhouette for her school auction with a western theme. It was life-size and looked great.

20. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Southern Teach--I like your idea about the wanted posters--Do you have a template for the posters, or where did you purchase them? I would like to do that for my class, 2nd graders would love that!!:angel:

21. facsteacher

facsteacher New Member

Jul 31, 2007

I purchased the Wanted posters at the Apple Tree in Tulsa, OK.