Ideas for a good dog book?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by anniefan, Oct 29, 2007.

1. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

Hey everyone!
    My dog recently passed the test to be a therapy dog. I want to start a reading club for my 3rd graders and use my dog in reading therapy. I would like some ideas for a book to read in the club. I have already read Winn Dixie (my favorite) to the class. I also do a unit on Stone Fox in January. What are some other good dog stories that would be appropriate for 3rd grade?
    Thanks,
    anniefan

3. teacher82A

teacher82A Rookie

Oct 29, 2007

I would say Shiloh depending on the reading levels of your students. Also in the Open Court reading program there is a story called Rugby and Rosie. It's about a dog passing a test to become a guide dog.

4. horseyridder

horseyridder New Member

Dec 1, 2007

A Dog's Live by Ann Martin is an excellent pseudo-autobiography about the life of a dog. Love that Dog is also excellent if you want to bring poetry in.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2007

Marley by John Grogan is an elementary school-age version of his adult book: Marley and Me.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 1, 2007

I wish I was in my classroom. I have a whole basket of dog books!

When I get to work I will post again.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Dec 1, 2007

You absolutely HAVE to read "Follow My Leader" by James B. Garfield.

:up:I read it when I was in 4th grade, and it was the most incredible and motivating book I've ever read!

Here is a description of the book:
    Eleven-year-old Jimmy Carter doesn't know what to do with himself when he is blinded by a firecracker in a freak accident. The usually energetic boy, who loved playing baseball, and going camping is quickly taken out of commission, and left to live the rest of his life in the dark. All alone. But that notion is quickly swept out of Jimmy's head when he begins working with Miss Thompson, a therapist who opens up a whole new world for Jimmy, one where he can walk by using a cane, and read by using the method of braille. But when Jimmy is given the chance to have his very own guide dog, he's ecstatic. He quickly packs up his belongings, and heads to the School for the Blind where he will learn to get around without his cane, cut food by himself, and, best of all, get his very own guide dog! But getting used to working with Leader - his dog - isn't as easy as Jimmy originally thought it would be. In fact, sometimes it can even be a bit complicated at times. But Jimmy knows that if he wants to make it in this cruel world he'll have to try as hard as he can to make things work with his eyes, Leader.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Dec 1, 2007

Don't forget "Island of the Blue Dolphin". It is a great "dog" book, too.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Dec 1, 2007

A teacher at our school has always read A Dog Called Kitty, yet it is a tearjerker... It's a Bill Wallace book. :)

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 1, 2007

What about Old Yeller, Lad: a Dog, or Gray Dawn? Sometimes old favorites are favorites for a reason!

11. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Dec 2, 2007

Thanks for the ideas! I can't wait to get started with my club. We will begin in Jan. I am also taking a group of my third graders and my dog to go Christmas caroling at a nursing home later this month.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 2, 2007

Love That Dog is a great poetry novel by Sharon Creech - it too is a real tear jerker! It is actually really short , but the style and subject put it at about third grade. It would be a great book to also be discussing poetry with because it has several styles of poems and is a good book for boys to get into poetry.

13. lablover02

lablover02 Rookie

Dec 4, 2007

I agree with czacza, Marley- a dog like no other is a great book! I read the adult version Marley and Me and then my mom found the children version and bought it for me to share with my class! They loved it!