Icebreaker Ideas//Hello!

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Hello.Mitra, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Hi!

I've only made a few posts here (with 5 classes, a part-time job, and 50 hours of service learning, I rarely have free time!), so I will re-introduce myself. :]

I am currently a junior at the University of Central Florida, almost twenty-one, and am majoring in elementary education. I will be teaching Junior Achievement (JA) for six weeks starting next week, and I was hoping for some icebreaker ideas!

I've performed service learning before, but never really conducted an icebreaker activity; this is something I would really like to do with this class, since I will actually be teaching this time.

All I know is that it's a class of fourth graders, so I would appreciate an icebreaker that is age appropriate that gets the class excited, and doesn't take up too much of the teacher's time. (The first day I will just be observing the class and doing a short introduction about myself and JA.)

Also! I am a big believer in incentive-based learning, so I was thinking about having little "rewards", if you will, for class participation. I really want these students to be enthusiastic about learning about economics and participating.

I was thinking about handing out candy, but I didn't know if the teacher would be upset with the possibility of sugar rushes...So, if there is an agreement that candy is a bad idea, what else could I use? Stickers? Pencils?

I look forward to your ideas and responses!

Thanks!
    :love:

-Mitra

3. LuvKinder

LuvKinder Rookie

Feb 7, 2009

I have done a lot of leadership programs in the past, but one of my favorite ice breakers is a find your partner game. As each student enters the room you are going to place a post it or paper with tape on their back. Prior to you need to think of famous pairs that the kids would know such as Mickey and Minnie. You randomly place the name of one of the pairs on each student. The students then have to find their partner by asking questions to other students about who they are. Once they figure out who they are they can find their partner.

When handing out the post-its make sure if you hand out Beauty you give someone the Beast, or else the game is ruined if a person does not have a partner.

Candy is probably a bad idea. stickers are probably the easiest but I do not think 4th graders would get too excited about that. Maybe if they get a certain amount of stickers they can pick some sort of prize at the end of the week. Good Luck!