I would like some suggestions for kindergarten students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by showmelady, May 12, 2016.

1. showmelady

showmelady Companion

May 12, 2016

Next week I will be subbing for a kindergarten class all week. The teacher will be on a trip to Washington DC with HER child. I would like to be able to show the students some of the places that their teacher MIGHT see while away.

I am looking for something like a YouTube video, suitable for kindergarten level, that would be like a virtual tour of the city, or something about some of the places their teacher might see while there. The Smithsonian museums, the National Zoo, the various monuments, the White House, are all places that I would like the students to be able to see.

I am also looking for printable pictures the kids could color. I found some of animals that might be found in the National Zoo, and am looking for other options. No copyrighted materials but those that are free to copy and color.

I did find one video that is a VERY SHORT"tour", with animated kids as the characters, but it is VERY short and I didn't find any others similar to that. I would like videos to be at least 15 minutes long.

If anyone has any links I would appreciate it.

Thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 12, 2016

I'm sure the teacher is leaving plans for you. You should follow them. A read aloud on WDC or one short video if time allows would be more than enough.

BTW, a video of AT LEAST 15 minutes is A LOT of time - time the teacher probably had planned for you.

4. showmelady

showmelady Companion

May 12, 2016

I already spoke to her about this, and she was OK with me bringing some coloring pics (which I am happy to pay for the copies so there are enough for all the kids) and she said that perhaps a video during snack time would be nice. ( she would normally have some type of video for them to watch during that time.) So of course I will submit whatever i find or her approval. That's why I am looking now, so I have a day to find suitable pics etc so she can OK them. Thanks for the input.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 13, 2016

If you look on the specific museum websites (Smithsonian, etc) there should be children's sections that would give you some good resources.

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 13, 2016

Don't forget to use a map! I love talking to my students about where our President lives and works. They're always so amazed how far away he is from where we live. They love seeing pictures of the White House, the National Library, and the Mint....who doesn't love to know where our money comes from? :)

7. showmelady

showmelady Companion

May 13, 2016

That is a great idea, the Mint. Once when I subbed for a second grade class I explained about the mints (Philly, Denve & S.F.), A couple of days later I got a handful of pennies from the bank and sorted them out and picked only the ones from Denver or SF (because they have the mint mark) and took one for each child in that class to the school. The regular teacher loved it and so did the kids!