I was screwed over. (Angry rant)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MaleTeacher, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2018

People in my district have put their vouchers for ‘sale’. Not looked upon highly. Just saying. Taking on a ST is a BIG responsibility. One who does so for credits alone is probably not the best mentor

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

Thanks for the idea. The school is on spring break until Monday, so I can call them next week. By observing I can see how the school functions, the type of school setting, etc... I already checked out their district page and they have great reviews from parents and previous students.

3. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I could take it farther but don't want to jeopardize my future career. I thought about contacting MAPSA but I am just apprehensive. I know that I shouldn't feel this way, but she has various connections and I don't want to burn any bridges. I never know who/what I might need later on, and me accusing the teacher or school of misconduct might not end up in my favor.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2018

No one teacher Is this powerful. Put it behind you... volunteer, sub, move on

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2018

I'm still not sure that I believe this story, but I'll play along.

What degree are you currently working on? When will you be graduating?

6. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 9, 2018

There is nothing that I can do to change your views, but that's okay. I had several pages of documentation linked on my posts, but a2z and swanzong1 and other moderators requested that I remove them. Apparently hiding a person's identity is more important that showing and talking about the truth.
    To answer your question, I am working on my bachelor's degree with an elementary education major and a reading minor. I will be most likely be redoing my student teaching in mid/late August and graduating in December.

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 9, 2018

Sorry that is what you came away with from our request to remove information that identifies you, the school, and the teacher's name.

What you showed is not proof of anything. It was your personal accounting of a situation that someone signed. It is good that it was signed by the principal because it gives more credibility, but it is not definitive proof.

Identifying information like that can end your career before it starts. It can also cause people with nefarious intentions to seek you, the teacher, or the school out. It is not safe internet practices which is something you should be well aware of by now. One wrong internet post can end a career. It can cause a lawsuit for a school.

Not providing personal or identifiable information is Internet Safety 101.

8. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 9, 2018

I acknowledge that you made a good point. Next time I will be more careful about hiding names and private information. However, we have slightly different views on safe internet practices. In the documents, I made sure to not include the name of the school, the district, or the full name of the teacher. If you were to go on white page and search for the principal's name 150+ people will show up in Michigan alone. Even though I am upset with the cooperating teacher, I didn't write about her personal life, details, or actions in the classroom. I kept myself composed and refrained from writing anything that was inflammatory.

The cooperating teacher has tried and achieved (to a certain extent) her retaliatory goal of ruining my reputation. I have already checked to see if she was bad-talking me. Yesterday I made a new gmail account and sent her an email in an alias name. I won't get into details, but she replied with stuff about me that never happened. It was unprofessional and petty. Now my theory about why the nearby districts wouldn't even reply to my requests for student teaching is looking more credible.

To put it shortly she and I have vastly different personalities and approaches to teaching. I am no longer upset at my university supervisor. He did what seemed most practical to him at that time. I asked my family for money and have received positive answers. I am going to get over this obstacle and have a fresh new start in the fall.

9. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Apr 10, 2018

^No.... no. As a teacher I cant even write a students full name in email communications, only initials. It would not take someone very tech savvy to be able to find you, the principal, or teacher from that document. Maybe white pages will have multiple people with that name, but if I did a google search on the name with 'principal' and 'michigan' Im sure it would narrow my scope quite a bit.

Secondly, the alias email is extremely petty and reflects more poorly of you than the teacher. Thats something mean girls would do. This is getting weird.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 10, 2018

Please allow me to step in and explain that it is your own privacy that we are trying to help protect. Imagine if you were to finish your teaching certificate, move away, and look for a career in another state. If this conversation (which is public and searchable) were to be found, its contents could be used in making future hiring decisions. Keeping your name and school private helps restore your anonymity so you won't have any repercussions once your schooling is done.

nstructor, Upsadaisy and a2z like this.
  11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2018

You fake emailed the teacher? So immature and not a smart move.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Apr 10, 2018

It sounds like you are doing more to ruin your own career than your cooperating teacher could ever do!

13. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2018

Removing the documentation was definitely the right move -- it's evidence. Seriously, don't ever do anything like that again.

It would be worth it to discuss with a lawyer who could lay out options for you. Not all of them would need to go to actual litigation, especially if you express those concerns. If it were a private settlement, you may be able to recoup some money without doing damage to your career.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2018

I'm not sure I agree. An investigator might do exactly this sort of thing.

However, it's stronger if it's not the OP who's collecting this. A lawyer could get an outside agency to do it (and then there would be a threat of testimony, and an additional charge since it becomes libel (since it's the OP who received it, it's not libel because it needs to be received by another person). If sent from the teacher's school account, then the school itself -- not just the teacher -- can be charged with libel.

So, sort of the right approach, but not terribly well executed.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 10, 2018

Look at this as a blessing in disguise. Things happen for a reason. It may look crappy now but in the future it may turn out better.

16. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 10, 2018

Thanks, that is a good approach to this whole situation. I should look at this as a life lesson, and forgive the cooperating teacher and get on with my life.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 10, 2018

I think we should drop this thread at this point.

kpa1b2, SpecialPreskoo and nstructor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.