I was screwed over. (Angry rant)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MaleTeacher, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I sent emails with documents (copies of transcripts, my mttc and praxis scores, tefl certificate, etc...) to human resource and to each individual principal.

2. Kieran E O'Brien

Kieran E O'Brien New Member

Apr 7, 2018

Hi, I also had a bad master teacher for my first student teaching. I had only observed her, but she complained about me and said that I acted "entitled", which is ridiculous because all I ever did was observe and chat with her. It turns out she was insecure that I already had some international teaching experience. Anyhow, I would speak with the state Teacher Practice Commission about your case, and also write a formal letter to the Dean of the School of Education. No way should you repeat your entire teaching practicum. Use your tuition as protest. They want your money.

MaleTeacher and futuremathsprof like this.
  3. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

Yes, I am attending online. It is brick and mortar, but I can't bring myself to drive 18+ hours to Colorado and stay in a dormitory. I know it's an option, but it just seems so far away.
    I regret choosing this university. I should have gone the traditional route here in Michigan but instead I wanted to expand my horizons. It is a religious private university.I wonder if that might have anything to do with me having trouble finding a placement.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Apr 7, 2018

I could have gotten an entire second masters for free with student teachers (one free class voucher) and interns (two free class vouchers), but I didn't ever use them.

The OP's story definitely seems far-fetched, but there are people who will do all kinds of things for money. Unfortunately, teachers aren't any different. I wouldn't have put up with being extorted for money, even as a young college student. Maybe I'm just stubborn. :whistle:

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 7, 2018

I would suggest that it is time to hit the pavement and get on the phone. Because your university doesn’t do the work for you, you need to make a personal contact and an impression with these districts. There are times when that just can’t be done effectively via electronic means. If you are not comfortable with that and can get a placement in CO, that may be your next best option. Didn’t you say that you are hoping to move to the southwest eventually anyway?

a2z likes this.
  6. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I had documentation linked to some of my posts of what happened. That documentation was signed and dated by me and the principal and were sent to my supervisor. I am not sure if you saw them, but then I had to take them down since the moderators said it showed personal information (my name, the teacher's name, and the principal's name).

7. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I think I mentioned it in my previous posts, but I found a district in the upper peninsula where I will be redoing my student teaching in the fall. I said that I would like to teach in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or New York.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2018

Like we said, are you going to each school in person to show them a real person? Schools get tons of applications, resumes, etc every week. Most of it ends up in the circular file.

9. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 7, 2018

OP, You also said that you can't afford the upper peninsula position so look locally.

10. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I will be asking my family for money. I know that I can count on my mom and grandmother to help out. I also plan on talking with my aunt, who hopefully will understand my situation.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 7, 2018

I think that's stupid, but good luck. We live in the digital age. I'd be doing some hardcore Internet stalking of local teachers. Email them directly. Sell the experience of influencing a brand new teacher. Tell them positive things about yourself. You can send 100 emails...only one has to say yes.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 7, 2018

What part of the UP will you be located in? It doesn't have to be a horribly expensive area, especially in the off-season. If you have the placement totally secured, I would ask the school for housing suggestions also. You never know what local residents may know about what is available for a few months, and they may know of something that is cheaper than living in a hotel. Asking may also give you a chance to make connections. Meanwhile, work your tail off this summer so that you can really embrace your student teaching in the UP next fall. Also, make sure that you make contact with the teacher(s) you will be working with, and perhaps even ask if they would be willing to let you visit their classroom before things get too crazy this spring. I've had student teachers come in for a preliminary look around.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 7, 2018

So, stop & think. If you would go to Colorado to student teach would the school provide a student teaching experience for you? It doesn't sound like you will be getting one in the U.P.

With your school being out of state will you qualify for a Michigan license? What would happen if you student teach in Colorado?

You've got some decisions to make. Think about your end goals. How do you reach them? Be determined & know the route is not always easy.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Apr 7, 2018

I am astonished at the things I have read here. Truly astonished. I thought nothing could surprise me, but this did.

If you are at a religious private university, can you contact religious schools of the same denomination in your area? Perhaps they could facilitate a student teacher. You could still get in the required numbers of weeks, I believe, and you would have the experience of seeing the close out of a school year. Sometimes a smaller school has greater flexibility.

15. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

The school district is in the Iron County. I looked at all the available (motels, hotels, inns) places and the cheapest one that is close to the school costs $280 a week. There are rooms on craigslist that would cost me $400 per month but I don't think that's an option. I don't know the people who live in those houses and I also worry about privacy/safety if I was to rent a room in someone's house.
    I will be in the classroom before school starts. The plan is to go up there around August 15th, and the school starts the Friday before Labor Day. I will have several days to meet the staff, review my lessons, and help out in the classroom.

16. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

If I stay in Michigan and complete my student teaching here, I can apply for a Standard Teaching Certificate. If I was to complete my student teaching in Colorado, I would have to apply for a Colorado license and then try to use the reciprocity agreement to transfer it to a Michigan license.

Kieran E O'Brien likes this.
  17. Kieran E O'Brien

Kieran E O'Brien New Member

Apr 7, 2018

Reciprocity is not a big deal to get. It's an application and a fee and sending some transcripts so do the program that is cheaper.

18. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 7, 2018

You are going to a very nice but quiet area in the UP. The towns are small but safe. My students and I will actually be up in the neck of the woods in a couple of weeks. A room rental would not be out of the question in terms of safety. I would still talk to the school where you will be student teaching to see what they recommend.

Oh, and as to visiting the school ahead of time, I realize that you will be there by mid August. My suggestion was that you take a day and go up to visit before school let’s out this spring while things are still in full swing.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 7, 2018

This is awful. Is there any way that you could still fight this?

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 7, 2018

But you said you wanted a job in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or New York. So, if you're not even considering job hunting in Michigan, you wouldn't need a Michigan teaching cert. It looks like Colorado has the same states for reciprocity as Michigan. So, if it's cheaper to student teach in Colorado. . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.