I was screwed over. (Angry rant)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MaleTeacher, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Yep, your spot on. The school were I will be redoing my student teaching (if I go through with it) told me that my role will be mostly as a teacher's assistant except for the last two weeks where I take over the classroom. Not only will I be split among several teachers in the elementary building, but I am expected to help around in the middle and high school. The main reason they took me is that there are no male teachers in grades Prek-6.

2. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Apr 6, 2018

My cooperating teacher did lots of what you mentioned. I was broke and told to pay for lots of extra expenses. I did for awhile, but it just got to be too much so I had to tell my University Supervisor. Today, I could have done it, but back then I had no money and of course student teaching meant no pay checks. Fortunately, my University supervisor was on my side and helped that things turned out well in the end.

I can never forget that experience, but I had to forgive and move on. It did make me feel that I could face anything, which helped me with the challenges of teaching ahead. Having been there, I do feel bad for what you went through. You have a chance to hit the reset button and hopefully have a positive student teaching experience for a semester. I wish you the best.

MaleTeacher and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

I don't want to derail the thread, but if you think public schools are so awful, what type of education do you suggest for kids who can't afford private schools?

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 6, 2018

This is just bizarre to me! Things must vary greatly in different parts of the country. I have had several student teachers and student observers over the year. Never have I received anything like a voucher for course credit. Generally speaking, what was received was a thank you at the end of the term. I accept student teachers into my classroom because I enjoy seeing them grow as educators, and I feel that it is a learning experience for me also. However, I also make sure that student teachers know that they will share all teaching responsibilities with me. The model is moving toward much more co-teaching in my area, but even within that paramenter, I work with the student teacher to assure that they have a solid three weeks of teacher all or almost all day.

You do make a valid point about teachers being willing to accept student teachers. Thanks to new evaluation critera and high stakes testing, this is definitely the case in my state.

At any rate, I hope that your second placement benefits you much more than your first.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 6, 2018

Public schools are necessary because a society needs an educated populace and for children to have access to education, regardless of their socioeconomic status. However, quite a number of public districts — like those aforementioned — have become cesspools of corruption and greed. The teachers do an incredible job of educating students in them, but the system as a whole needs to be revamped. This is why I like what the protestors in Oklahoma and other places are doing. Things need to change pretty much everywhere and it shouldn’t have taken teachers this like to mobilize to enact change.

Just because I criticize some aspect of something, it doesn’t mean I totally dislike it or that I think we should disregard that thing entirely. That’s what *some* public schoolteachers seem to think, that ANY criticism at all of their organizations is a “war on public schools.” As I’ve said before, and I will say it again: Ridiculous things are, by definition, deserving of ridicule.

My private school is one of the top performing schools in the entire state of California, but it has no teachers union. How does it do that? Because the administrators and board members are not bogged down by stupidity, emotive nonsense, and use money effectively. It pays teachers competitive rates and does not hoard the money for useless projects and new curriculums that nobody asks for! I see this kind of moronic thing all the time. Case in point, schools building multi-million dollar stadiums, but it can’t afford new textbooks or pay its workers more money. Gee, I wonder where the money could come from? Herp derp.

Failing schools need to look at successful schools and model what they do to generate more positive student outcomes. At my school, when something breaks the maintenance staff are notified immediately and the item is fixed or replaced. If new textbooks are needed, they’re ordered. If the chairs need to be replaced, they’re replaced. No excuses. It gets done.

Public school districts need to raise standards, not lower them. They need to increase the workloads of students and hold them to higher standards, as well. And schools should go after parents of students who are chronically truant by reporting them to the authorities and having them arrested. Make students join clubs and require them to volunteer in order to graduate and require that they learn skills that will benefit them in life, like public speaking, computer applications, finance, etc, which are also requirements for graduation. My school does all of those things. The question is: Why doesn’t everyone else?

MaleTeacher likes this.
  6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

Your original comment was "Reason 15,753 I don’t work in a public school." That's not criticizing "some aspect of something".

Besides, I couldn't tell you how many times I've had students from private schools transfer back to my public school algebra 2 or pre-calc class, and have to go back and re-take algebra 1 at our public school because one of the local private schools just passed them through without teaching them much....they basically paid for those grades, and it showed when they transferred back to public school. It's to the point where our supervisor has any kid transferring from another school (public or private) take a math placement test to ensure what they can do matches what their transcript says they can do.

Also some good reading:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/19/public-private-schools_n_6715050.html

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2018

Let's keep the thread on topic, please.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 7, 2018

Math and English Proficiency in California Public Schools:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...failing-its-students-in-math-and-english/amp/

Other examples of public school successes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.northjersey.com/amp/735852001

https://uteach.utexas.edu/sites/default/files/BrokenEducation2011.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...95c05608059_story.html?utm_term=.cc9e0c7eb56a

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...517a3a70506_story.html?utm_term=.30b94cdfb2d0

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...s-who-pass-class-are-failing-state-exams/amp/

I will say no more about this and get back on track.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2018

In my area, you were not able to student teach in any school that you, your kids, family or anyone you knew attended or work/once worked for. You're also not supposed to work at all during the entire time you did student teaching. That's another story!! Well, one of my university professors liked me so well, she purposely hand picked me to be one of her student teachers! Talk about a conflict of interest!! I don't even see how she could be a univ teacher and principal at the same time! Anyway, when assignments for student teaching were posted, I saw my name listed for one school, and then it was crossed out and hers was listed. I didn't even know she was a P!!

At first, things were good, but then she cornered me in the hall one day and said, "I need you to sub tomorrow." I already had my sub certificate, as I was going for my Masters and teaching credential. She knew this, me being the bigmouth than I am. I said, "I'm not supposed to be working...and I need to go to my field based class!" Besides that, how was I supposed to be working on my student teaching if I was subbing?? Well, she told me don't worry about it. ;)

I said no, thank you. Then she came back. She said, "I want you to do a workshop on blood borne pathogens, like you did for my class. You can show this to my teachers during our inservice training." This was during the afternoon, when I am supposed to be taking my classes. The nerve to ask me to be a free presenter!! (Yes, I am also a state certified, professional development presenter - and apparently talk to much about what I can do.)

I said no again, and things got ugly. She stopped me from coming early, staying late and making copies! Told me I couldn't use any supplies - buy your own construction paper! And she told my cooperating teacher to mark up my lessons, because all of the sudden I was doing everything wrong. My teacher frowned, because her hands were tied.

This was too much for me. There were personal issues going on in my life as well. So, I dropped out. Eventually, I came back, because my field based teacher helped me. Long before Blackboard, and off campus cohorts, my field based teacher worked with me to finish my student teaching. She told me to send in lessons by fax and she covered me for field based classes. We met during off hours, and allowed me to attend her other classes.

That's how I finished. In IL, you need 16 weeks of student teaching. The first 3 were a real rollercoaster. I was able to make up five weeks in Kdg, and had a great 2nd grade class for 8 weeks.

Can't believe somebody would bribe you for your hard earned education....

MaleTeacher and futuremathsprof like this.
  10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 7, 2018

Can’t the OP litigate against the school district for not investigating this teacher? I think the student teacher has a legal case, so long as they have adequate documentation.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2018

You seem to give her a lot more power than she might actually have...the fact that she can get 18 or 19 different districts to blackball you seems a little ...odd. Have you visited those districts in person to arrange student teaching? You have given other reasons that schools may not want to accommodate you.
    Perhaps it's time to sell yourself to those other districts.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2018

I have taken on student teachers because I enjoy mentoring. The credit vouchers I was given, I never used.

13. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I think that you saw my documents before I took them down. She has over 20 years of experience, and she has spent several years working as a teacher union rep. for the schools that she was at.
    There are so many higher ed. colleges and university around my area that are trying to place student teachers. One phone call from her (or the principal) about how I am a bad apple and the other districts don't want to be bothered.
    Of course, several districts are small, with only one elementary school. I can see how they maybe don't have anyone available to take on a student teacher. But with districts that have 4 or more elementary schools that makes it harder for me to believe that they don't have any openings.
    Maybe it is like svassillion said. My college doesn't give the teacher any kind of stipend or credit vouchers so that might be a big reason.

14. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

I thought about doing that. I am just worried about how this might impact me later on. As someone mentioned, I do want to make a career out of this and me suing a teacher/school would probably not benefit me.
    I need to pull myself together and get over my pity party. This happened, I can look at it as a life lesson, and next time react differently. If I had shut down the notion that I will be paying for students field trips or their school accounts from the very start it might not have escalated to paying $200 for my evaluation.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2018

Do you REALLY think a principal (or teacher) has the time or care to call 20 districts about you? Not likely.
    And vouchers really arent that much of an incentive.
    Its late in the school year. Do some subbing to get your foot in a few doors and ST in the fall.

16. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Apr 7, 2018

There are definitely teachers who will take on a student teacher without getting a voucher, but I think they still provide quite a bit of incentive even if the cooperating teacher doesn't plan to use them. I'm not sure how it goes in other areas but in my district if the teacher doesnt use the voucher it is up for grabs for any teacher in the district to use so that it doesnt go to waste. Maybe it's not a big deal to others, but teachers in my district really take advantage of a free college course. Pretty much everyone in the district is constantly working towards the next pay step so the vouchers are highly valued.

It also kind of blows my mind that the university does not set up your student teaching for you. The distance is definitely a barrier which is probably why I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. My college did not want us choosing our own placements so they could put us with a teacher they knew had a good reputation. I'm so curious how the college interacts with the cooperating teacher without observations.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Apr 7, 2018

I would try to find a college that finds a placement for you as well.

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 7, 2018

Being that it is into April and student teaching much longer than what remains in the school year, there could be alternate reasons that schools have not responded.

Did you go to any districts personally or just send e-mails? I know that what I am suggesting might not be the norm, but neither is your situation.

I'm still not sure why your university doesn't find placements for their students. Is it on-line? Or is there another reason why you are hard to place?

19. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2018

So, I am guessing you are attending college online, hence the school being in Colorado. Not the first person on the forum to do this, and I seem to remember that it was often somewhat problematic. If you were attending a brick and mortar institution in state, you would probably have had fewer problems. These universities have more contacts and clout within the state, often getting first placements over a student trying to find their own placement. If the Colorado university is a brick and mortar school, I would see about having my ST done in Colorado. If it is strictly or primarily online, there is probably no easy way to rectify this.

The alternative is to go alternate route, which is what you would almost certainly be asked to do in any state you would want to teach in. That is not free, either financially, or in the investment of time. I would look for more alternatives, perhaps leaving Michigan for this, because being treated like an aide seems less than stellar when you put that down on an application in the future. I came through the AR program, but only because I came to teaching later in life based on personal experiences. It wasn't the easiest way to enter, but at least I truly knew my content area (science), and I had subbed enough years to be comfortable with school procedures. If you are trying to teach in K-6, I don't recommend AR. The competition is fierce, with a bushel of applicants for every position. In my situation,, I was highly qualified in a content area for the high school course work, so much less competition, and I did well.

A suggestion would be to get the highest paying job you can find for the summer to offset the cost of the additional student teaching. I would also perform due diligence about the prospect of going to Colorado to student teach. I can't imagine that living in a dorm for a semester could be much more expensive than your current projections, assuming your university has dorms. If the university truly doesn't help you with a placement, even in the state of Colorado, I suspect that you have been shorted in more ways than just the student teaching, but hey, I could be wrong.

The states that you call your top choices are going to be more difficult to find a job in under the best of circumstances. I don't see your second choice experience in the same state as ideal, on paper. Given that consideration, a venue change might be beneficial. Best of luck.

MaleTeacher likes this.
  20. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2018

They don't really interact with the cooperating teacher. I just have to record the lessons and have my time log sheet signed. The teacher also has to fill out an evaluation form. In my last student teaching placement my supervisor contacted the principal to let her know that I will not be returning. He never talked with or emailed the teacher.I am not sure but I think the only other person who had the school's contact information was the program coordinator, but I don't know what his role was in all of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.