I was screwed over. (Angry rant)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MaleTeacher, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Apr 6, 2018

[​IMG]

Leaborb192 likes this.
  2. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

[QUOTE="It sounds like it may be a GOOD thing if you get a second semester to student teach, OP. It sounds like what you reported was not an authentic setting, let alone a positive one.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if I will do it. I checked, and I can get a bachelor's degree with a "theory" education major. This means that I won't have to waste my time and money doing student teaching all over again.
    I checked and there are states (like Utah or Arizona) were some schools don't require teachers to have student teaching. As long as I pass the state certification exams I should be fine. Of course, this is not where I wanted to end up (my dream states were Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York) but I can't bring myself to take on more loans.

3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 6, 2018

I would strongly recommend doing student teaching. It isn't worth limiting your future options because of something negative that has already happened. Just my 2 cents.

kpa1b2 likes this.
  4. rpan

rpan Comrade

Apr 6, 2018

I can understand your frustration. But don’t make rash decisions and think big picture. More student teaching experience will only make your career options and life as an inexperienced educator better not worse.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    kpa1b2, Master Pre-K and Backroads like this.
  5. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

I already calculated how much it would cost me to do everything again.
    My university charges $653 per credit, so the student teaching class/cohort would alone cost me $5,877. With fees it will be close to $6,500.

The only place that I found for my potential student teaching placement is up north. The motel in that town (1,200 people) costs $280 a week. Student teaching is 16 weeks so that would cost me $4,480.

I have to drive seven hours to get there and will be making trips back home to help my parents out every other Sunday. Gas alone will be around $470.

Everything will cost me a minimum of $11,450. If you include the small costs (printer, school supplies, laundry, gas for getting around) it will be so much more. Plus add the fact that any loan will have fees and interest rates so it is quite bleak.

6. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Apr 6, 2018

My opinion would be that if you want to teach, you need student teaching experience. How important it is depends on your location but I firmly believe in the importance of student teaching.

Only you can decide what you can afford financially.

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 6, 2018

I'd work more with your university to find a better solution. They may be able to work something out financially. Who placed you? Did you find it or did the university?

Why is it so hard to find a place to student teach?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    czacza likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Apr 6, 2018

Is there a reason you can't find a student teaching placement closer to home?

Backroads likes this.
  9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

Was this a public school?

10. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

My university does not take any part in this. It is my job to find and arrange a placement. It is hard to find placements for several reasons.
    1. The Three Year rule. The teacher needs to have at least three years of experience.
    2. Districts that are on improvement plans do not want or can't take student teachers.
    3. Due to the new evaluation systems, teachers don't want to get their results (student progress/achievement) based on what the student teacher did.
    4. My college is out of state, and it doesn't have any type of contract or agreement with the school districts here in Michigan.
    5. I am required to record lessons (since my supervisor is in Colorado). Many school districts are turned off by this, since they don't know what the recordings will be used for.
    6. My college is in Colorado and it doesn't use Common Core. Even though I offer to make my lessons aligned with Common Core standards, many principals/human resource think that I won't be up to par with all the requirements.
    7. I am the one who is contacting school districts. Many don't want to bother with me and simply tell me that my college is supposed to get in contact with them. My college doesn't do that.

11. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Yes, this was a public charter school that belongs to a school district.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

Reason 15,753 I don’t work in a public school. Sheesh. These stories just get more ridiculous and psychotic as time goes on.

Belch likes this.
  13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Apr 6, 2018

#WaronPublicSchools

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

No, it just looks like my sample size is getting larger and larger! ;)

15. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Apr 6, 2018

You still don't get it.....if you want to make fair comparisons, you'd have to count every ONE private school story as approximately TEN public school stories just based on the sheer number of private and public schools there are in the US.

And it has nothing to do with private vs. public in this context. I don't even understand why it's a question you'd go to, but for your war.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  16. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

Once she found out that I told my school and the principal that she is taking money from me, she ruined my reputation. I don't know what she did (and I won't express my thoughts since I don't have evidence), but no district within 30 miles from me (there are 18 or 19 districts) even responded to my request for a student teaching placement.

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

It’s difficult to count all the private mishaps because there are so few! I already have WAY more than the ten public ones, though. I’ll keep looking!

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 6, 2018

You may have just ruined your career... before it even began! You should have waited until after you finished and THEN reported her.

19. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 6, 2018

In a worst case scenario I would have to agree with you. I never planned on teaching in Michigan anyway, but if I was in a position where I had to stay here, this surely would have a big impact on my career.
    However, I plan on teaching in other states far away from Michigan. I am not going to let a horrible, selfish, and greedy person determine my future.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  20. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Apr 6, 2018

I'd add that many cooperating teachers are compensated by the university with a class voucher which teachers like to use for more credits towards their next pay step. If your college doesn't offer this, there is no incentive for a teacher to take on the student teacher.

Master Pre-K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.