I was gone for 1 month (surgery) and OMG! :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, May 11, 2018.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 11, 2018

So I had shoulder surgery at the end of spring break, and then I was off for 4 weeks after that. Took 3 more days because I wanted to come back on a Thursday, not on a Monday. Could have stayed for 2 more week, but didn't want to use up all my sick days.
    While I was gone, things turned to a nightmare for the most part, and I had heard of some things, that's why I wanted to ease myself back to work, as my shoulder still hurts (although it's nothing compared to what it used to be) and I'm still taking painmeds.

I have 3 preps. I spent a lot of time to write lesson plans for all classes for every single day, even made all the copies for almost the whole month. I was required to do that only for the first week, but now all they needed was make copies for a couple of days for a class or two.
    The lessons I made were easy to follow, all the answer keys and teacher edition books were there. It was a lot of work (overplanned) for each class, so there's no down time, but made it very clear to take their time, and just continue where they left off, Don't skip anything.
    I have 1 class that has been the death of me (a bunch of immature freshmen and others who join in, and the good days are far in between and even then I have to rule with an iron fist) The rest of the classes vary between ok - good and great, deeding on the days, but usually they're quite enjoyable.

I was supposed to have 1 sub who is a retired teacher. He's great with the kids, he taught many of them in elementary school. He has a great rapport with them and they usually like him and respect him. He does give in and do things like take them outside (not supposed to), or bring donuts, etc, but as a sub, you do what you got to do do. There were supposed to be a few daily subs here and there when he couldn't make it.

So... are you ready?
    1. most assignments were super simplified and partially skipped where it didn't make sense. For example: copy vocab, write quickwrite, copy down a few concepts, discuss. Read the story, explain and discuss and then then answer questions (on paper, otherwise how do I grade it?). A few vocabulary practice worksheets and then a test (I was ok with open book).
    What was done? copy vocab. read story and sometime they answered questions. Tests open book, A written on all of them.
    2. in 3 classes they were supposed to write a story. It should have taken a week and a half, following the textbook which explains how to do it, activities, brainstorm, rough and final draft, peer edit, etc. It took 2 days !!! One draft written, and in most cases it was 1 page (lined paper)> Most kids didn't even do it.
    3. My horrible 4th period class was so horrible that this sub walked out on them 2-3 times, and then quit the last week. So on these days and the last week they often didn't even have a sub, because they couldn't fine one. The principal was subbing, or if they found one or no one.
    4. We had a sub who fell asleep in every one of my classes. They finally sent her home during lunch.
    6. He took them outside all the time, even though I specifically said no to. (we can't do this)
    7. In some classes they did nothing, or played Hangman on the board !!!!
    This is a continuation high school where you need as much structure and as little down time as possible, otherwise behaviors will get out of control.
    I came back to a total nightmare and then had to figure out how to grade everything where the kids are not penaltized for all this BS. Of course not one of the subs marked on the subplans that they skipped an assignment, I had to take the kids word for it.

I had things stolen (personal things I took home), one of my other class got out of control and I'm still trying to fix it. Absolute craziness.

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 11, 2018

Hugs. Good thing this year is almost over. It is not your fault.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 11, 2018

One good thing did come out of it: I think my 4th period class realized that I'm not a hateful and weak teacher who just picks on them, can't handle them and hates all of them; they realized that they were the problem as not one sub could handle them, not even the principal. And the fact that the sub who is otherwise loved and patient walked out on them, saying "I don't need this sh.t!" showed them that I actually was more patient that they thought.
    So although it's still too much talking and a lot of side conversations are going on, and yes I still have to kick some students out sometimes, their attitude has changed to a little more respectful and much more cooperating. It's still work, but oh my God, a huge difference.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 11, 2018

Oh my! I hope those students have the conscience to be ashamed in your presence.

ETA: Looks like at least some of them HAVE a conscience.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 11, 2018

Honestly, I'm surprised the sub didn't walk out sooner.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 11, 2018

How much longer is left in the year?

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 14, 2018

He's used to it. This is alternative ed. so most people know what they're getting into. Sometimes we get new subs who can't handle it and didn't know what to expect, but this sub has been here for over a year :)

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 14, 2018

Not counting today, 17 days. and the last week of school is minimum days. :)

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 14, 2018

I hate being out even for one day. I was out only one day this year, except then they scheduled me to state test for four days. I hate having a sub, especially the week before final exams. I know my students are not as prepared for their exams as they should be.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 14, 2018

No one will do your job the way you do.
    When I came back I spent an entire day with the kids (one class time with each class) to go over what was supposed to be done and what was asked of them. They were pretty honest, I also know which kids to believe and which ones no to. This way I was only looking for things that were actually asked of them. In some classes the amount of work I collected was 30 % of what I left, and I know the kids were honest.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 15, 2018

Alt. Ed. is definitely a calling, @Linguist92021. I am hands down an elementary person. After the (one and only) year I taught middle school, I vowed to never step foot on another campus filled with teenagers once I packed up my boxes. The attitudes and hormones are most definitely not for me!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2018

Did that regular sub ever come back to the building? If so, I hope your students take the time to not only apologize, but explain why they need to do so.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 16, 2018

np, not so far. He might have really gotten injured. he had back problems before, and he would miss a few weeks. One teacher said that's what happened, but based on what the kids said, and he said it might have been that he didn't want to deal with it. We might not see him until next year :(

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 16, 2018

As far as an apology to the sub, I don't see that happening. That 4th period class was horrible to me just about every day. I should deserve an apology every day of the year.
    The kids don't see it like that. To them it's fun to misbehave, and not do the work. Most of them are freshmen or just plain immature to see that they will need to retake this class and they have wasted their own time.
    I tried to talk to them about this, but none of them cared, and they would just tune me out. The attitude and atmosphere in this class was horrible. And, sad to say, a lot of them have been raised so that they turned out to be disrespectful and rude little ...'s and who have no empathy, compassion or just common decency. A lot of the mothers are enablers. There are 3 mothers in this class who are convinced that I'm the enemy, I hate and pick on this kids, and they totally believe their kids' stories. I can't even turn them around.

Luckily since then we got 2 new girls who are sweet, so they added to the mix to balance it out. One girl who was a nightmare, returned from being locked up, and she no longer hates me. before she would challenge me and verbally attack me, (cussed me out once), would regularly walk out, etc. Now her attitude changed. One kid got locked up, one taken out of my class, and another kid came back who was not so horrible. So the personalities balanced out, and like I said earlier, they might have realized that all this was not my fault, it's them who are acting horribly. It is still work and I have to control them 100 % of the time, but they no longer make me want to take a day off.

16. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

May 18, 2018

Hey Linguist,
    so sorry for everything you are going through!

you know, I quit schools for good last year after subbing for 9 years as a Para and as a substitute teacher. I see now why I was almost never appreciated for my hard work. Instead of subbing in rich influential neighborhoods like I always did, instead , I should've found a place like yours where a pure good substitute work is appreciated instead of a ehhhh....... polite, aware-of-school-politics kind of subs, you know.

ps: I hope you feel better after your surgery !

17. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

May 22, 2018

I just saw this post and my heart goes out to you - I love reading your posts because I feel that, although I have been in the class more years, I have learned a lot from you - I suspect we have similar students and your posts have always made me see the great rapport you have with them. I'm sorry they had to chew through so many subs for them to recognize what they have with you. You're almost through this year. Keep focusing on your recovery from surgery and know that we recognize you doing great stuff - even if the students are going through their abandonment issues and or just flat out enjoyed taking advantage of not having someone around who could set limits for them.
    Keep breathing - It's almost SUMMER!!!