I was fired from my charter school teaching job after two months. Should I put this on Applitrack?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CincinnatiRedsBengalsFan, Feb 24, 2018.

1. CincinnatiRedsBengalsFan

CincinnatiRedsBengalsFan Rookie

Feb 24, 2018

Allow me to explain. I was fired for a Facebook post.

First of all, it's a charter school, so I have no union anyway.

Second of all, I know what you're thinking: NO, it wasn't one of those blatantly stupid Facebook posts that make you think "why would he/she..."?

One day last week, I put on my Facebook "I love my job, but I am stressed with school because my classes are a zoo right now." A parent saw it(somehow), complained to my principal. The principal sent it to the CEO, and the CEO decided I was to be terminated for basically making the school sound like a bad place to teach. I even explained to my principal that I was stressed out, and if anything, I insulted myself. I even put on my status I LIKED my job. I still don't think I "negatively harmed the school" like they said I did. This just happened yesterday.

With that being said, after two months teaching there(it was a mid-year position), should I include this on an Applitrack application? I know the one I apply for says to include if I was terminated, or not, but I don't think I should risk that for the following reasons...

1. It obviously doesn't look good.

2. It was a charter school, and they are completely different than any other school, and to be completely blunt, they often carry a bad reputation anyway.

3. I only worked there for TWO months.
    What should I do?

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 24, 2018

The only to do is to move on and continue your teaching journey. Look at open teaching positions in public schools.
    To my knowledge, getting fired from a charter school is internal and should not impede in you apply for other jobs. (I believe, I could be wrong.)

4. CincinnatiRedsBengalsFan

Feb 24, 2018

This is what I heard from other teachers too. I heard that charter schools are such a running joke in the education world, literally nobody takes them seriously(except for charter school administrators).

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Feb 24, 2018

I don't know what to suggest about the application. I am sure others with more experience will comment.

I would like to say while I understand what you are saying about your social media post, I hope you can see that doing this again would not be wise as it is generally not a good idea to post anything negative about your job/ class/ employer online as you never know how it will be taken/ who will be reading it.

6. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 24, 2018

Yes. Charter Schools are like independent campgrounds. I have never worked at a charter school

7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 24, 2018

.....truth..........

8. CincinnatiRedsBengalsFan

Feb 24, 2018

Definitely. I had no idea that me complaining about how stressed out I was would be considered "talking negative about my school."

9. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 24, 2018

Eh, in my spot in the woods a charter school firing would still be something you'd have to stick on a resume. I teach at a charter, and in this area they're still considered very much public.

vickilyn likes this.
  10. CincinnatiRedsBengalsFan

Feb 24, 2018

The charter schools here in Ohio are "public", per-say, but only by legal loopholes. The traditional public schools around here don't consider them public schools at all.

Backroads likes this.
  11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 24, 2018

I would not put it on applitrack. Try subbing in regular public schools for the rest of the year.

12. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Feb 24, 2018

If the public schools pay no mind and you only worked there a few months, yeah, you could leave that off.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2018

Here's my take . . . you did something stupid in the first two months. got called out on it, and you were fired. Explaining what you learned from the experience, such as locking down your FB account so that it won't continue to be an issue or problem would indicate you have learned and acted responsibly from this learning experience. Of course, my response assumes that you have learned a valuable lesson, and you are able to demonstrate what you learned explaining to potential employers about the charter school brief employment.

I favor honesty

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Backroads and Ima Teacher like this.
  14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Feb 25, 2018

Lay low. Move on.

I'm going to channel an old grandma for a minute. If you wouldn't say it out loud in front of God and everybody, just keep it to yourself. And that goes for good, bad, and ugly topics.

15. CincinnatiRedsBengalsFan

Feb 25, 2018

I completely agree. The problem is, do EMPLOYERS agree?

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2018

They ALWAYS FIND IT! This is why I am constantly posting -- and deleting -- FB posts. I posted something about the "gun debate'' right now and then said... "Better not.'' I'm a sub trying to get a job in a very small town where everybody knows each other and talks. Basically if you're a teacher you need to trust a very small group of people, talk in code, and NEVER post anything publicly. Everything on the internet --even your "locked down and secure'' FB -- is public. I learned this the hard way while in graduate school. I got ratted out for some stupid BS. I learned very quickly about this profession: trust NO ONE! It's very possible that a "friend'' whom you think you trust, ratted you out. Be vigilant!
    I personally wouldn't. If you have other references and can do something else to fill the gap, why bother putting it there? You don't want them calling and your principal saying "Well s/he was very unprofessional on FB.'' No matter how you slice it, that's not good for ANY administrators. They'll wonder, "Can we trust this person?'' And even if they say NOTHING, remained tight lipped, and give you a lukewarm reference, that could be just as bad. If they ask "Would you hire this person back?'' And if they say anything other than enthusiastically "YES,'' you could have problems. And of course you'll have to put why you left, which also poses problems.
    Good luck!

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 25, 2018

I think you should put it on there.

My big concern is that you can't see how this looks bad for a school which means you might not repeat it by putting it on social media but your thought process will remain the same since you don't find anything wrong with what you said to the public. That can get you in trouble again.

Here is exactly what you told the public. You can't control your class. The school hires teachers who can't control their classes. You are so stressed by your inability to handle the situation you must tell others about how bad your class is behaving spending your time telling the world rather than spending your time learning how to manage your classroom. The school hires teachers who don't understand basic social media and its impact.

Putting that you liked your job and arguing that that is important also shows your focus. It is on you as the important part and not the kids. I like my job even though I can't control my classroom isn't a very positive thing to be posting to the public. It doesn't give parents a good sense of security that the teacher knows her stuff.

So, yes, you made the school look bad by the very fact that it shows teachers can't manage their classrooms. What makes the school look better to the public is knowing that this school doesn't keep a teacher who can't perform a basic function of the job and fails to understand basic social media rules.

Now, we all know out of control classrooms happen from time to time. For some teachers more often than others. It isn't something that should ever be broadcast to the general pubic.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  18. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Feb 25, 2018

The only times I've mentioned my personal failings at classroom mgmt, I've only posted on this message board!

linswin23 likes this.
  19. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2018

OP, with all of your negative comments about charter schools, why did you accept a job with one in the first place? Apparently, their pay checks spend just as well as those from the schools that "aren't jokes."

a2z likes this.
  20. Joyful!

Joyful! Cohort

Feb 25, 2018

First, I'm sorry to hear you lost your position.
    Second, I hope you recognize that you erred in posting on FB. You did reflect poorly on your school. If I had a student in your class, and read your post, I would think very poorly of you and the school. I sense you can't see that, so you may be doomed to repeat your error. I hope that I am wrong.
    Third, you likely did not get fired for the FB post alone.
    Fourth, charter schools are not jokes, they are schools whose administration is not that of the public district. In my area, they are governed by the school district, though independently run.
    Fifth, just like your post came back to bite you, hiding this experience will come back to bite you as well. Employers talk with one another casually. Your name can get mentioned and then, "Oh yeah, we fired her for being negative about the school on FB." Suddenly, you have a real problem. Honesty is always the best policy.
    There's a lot of good advice prior to my post. I recommend you follow it (except for leaving off the termination from an application.)
    I wish you the best.

nstructor and a2z like this.
  21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 26, 2018

You could say it wasn't a good fit and you've moved on.