I want to do a forest classroom theme...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by txamu01, Jul 28, 2003.

1. txamu01

txamu01 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Jul 28, 2003

I am interested in decorating my classroom like a forest. Does anyone have any good bulletin board ideas and cute saying that go along with this theme. For esample, last year, I did a fish/sea life theme. Above my reading center, I had a little boy holding a fishing pole that had a book attached to it. It said, "Caught you reading." Please help!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2002
    Jul 28, 2003

OOH sounds like a great idea. I had my room like a rainforest once. One of the fun things was hanging vines (stapled to wall). I also had a 'poet-tree' on my BB at one time.

How about these:

Show a path through the forest - 'pathway to learning' or 'follow the trail to ______'

We 'be-leave' in ourselves

One tree, many leaves - maybe using leaves for kids' names, or even subject titles

Cooperation - showing animals/plant life that co-exists in a forest

Growing taller every day

Reach for the sky

Reading provides nourishment so you can grow strong and tall

Many shades, one forest - show all the varieties of green leaves

Put down roots and grow strong

Hug a tree (are you old enough to remember that?)

Thank a tree - paper, wood, oxygen, shade, etc....

Of course, seasonal trees will be great. Use with life cycles, weather, earth day, conservation ...... What about a treehouse?

This sounds like fun.
  4. mason15

mason15 Guest

Jul 30, 2003

Another idea

If you go to the web site www.proteacher.com, they have a message board devoted to themes. You may be able to find something there too. :)
  5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 27, 2003
    Jul 31, 2003

One thing you could do is let the kids help you create the forst. You can use crumpled b.board paper for tree trunks and as part of a science unit on animals you can have each of the kids create a animal to join the forst. I teach 4th and have done this with my kids before, we turned our room into a swamp. You can set up a small tent as part of your reading center. Or, you can have a "camp out" in the room. This is really a lot of fun. You teach the kids all about camping (which of course includes lessons on animals and fire safety , etc...they just don't realize all the great things they are learning!) As a closing to the unit bring in several tents, black out your windows with b.board paper, and go camping. You can even include constellations by having the kids create them on the paper before you cover the windows. You can really have a lot of fun with a forst theme.