I think I've got the doldrums.......

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 16, 2018

Summer break is a little over 6 weeks away, state testing is this week, and I think I've got the doldrums..... Honestly, I think I've performed pretty poorly over the last 2 nine week periods...... it feels like I'm just biding time until late May and then I can hopefully start over.

Problem is my bunch of unmotivated juniors will be seniors, the low group of sophomores that will be juniors will now come to me, 8th grade splits off to where I get the lower group and the uppers go to the other teacher, my low and rowdy 7th graders will be 8th graders, and the current 6th graders (described as horrible) will become my 7th graders. At least I get a small group of upper 10th graders to teach. And the funny thing is that I love coming here and I think the students love me. Maybe I just need the time off.... Is anyone else feeling the pits, too?

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 16, 2018

I've been testing for 2 weeks and all my classes have been cancelled. Because of this, I have a renewed energy and excitement for teaching...or at least I did until they got here. Half the class didn't do the preparations for today, even though I emailed them AND their parents. Two kids didn't even bring the text. One was absent, all together. I'm annoyed. Like, why bother.

At least I really like my Q4 unit.

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Apr 16, 2018

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  5. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Apr 16, 2018

Ohhhh yeah. It's that time of year...my seniors are checked out and can only think about prom. My freshmen are burned out and can only think about summer. Meanwhile, lingering winter weather is just making everyone feel blah. But just think about how fast the next six weeks will go by, and then we get SUMMER BREAK!!

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 16, 2018

I had a good talk with my AP and he says I'm doing a fine job and shouldn't have any worries about my job. He said just to do the best I can with everyone and I'll be ok!

On a positive note, I've enrolled in a 2-week summer course taught at the local university that introduces computer programming into math classes! And I'll be trying to figure out how to program robots!

ms.irene likes this.
  7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 16, 2018

Our prom was this past weekend. State testing starts next week and lasts for three weeks, followed immediately by final exams for underclassmen. It's even worse for seniors: they have only two weeks of instruction left, including this week, and then their final exams. There is an assembly or after school performance almost every day between now and the end of the year. We're so close, and the kids can feel it!

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2018

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Apr 17, 2018

Our prom is wayyyy too early this year -- 6 weeks to go after prom :confused: