I think I'm going to love upper elementary...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yellowdaisies, Apr 8, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2014

I've posted on here before that I got a job for next year where I want to live teaching 5th grade. I teach 1st at a K-2 school right now, so I felt like it had been awhile since I'd even *seen* a fifth grader. Yesterday, I visited my mom's school (I'm on spring break) and spent the day in a fifth grade class. LOVED. IT. I cannot wait to teach the older elementary kiddos. I am totally bursting with excitement and ideas. I really thought primary was my "niche" and that I'd be there forever, but lately I am feeling that upper elementary may be a new home for me and that I may love it even MORE. :D Just wanted to share my excitement, I guess. :blush:

3. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2014

:). 5th is my favorite!!

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2014

They are just so funny, independent, and SMART! I really loved spending time with them yesterday. It was so fun to see their personalities coming out. Primary is just so, SO different.

It's funny because when I tell people (non-teachers) that I teach first their reaction is always "AWWWW THE CUTE LITTLE KIDS :wub:" but when I tell them I'll be teaching fifth it's always "Oh....yikes...well, good luck to you...:eek:" lol. I don't really get it - they're not middle schoolers YET! :lol:

5. live

live Companion

Apr 8, 2014

People who visit my class always say they were so nervous beforehand, because, well, they're the big bad 5th graders. Then they come and get smothered in appreciation for even existing, genuine curiousity about who they are, and hilarious antecdotes.

I love 5th grade. They're old enough to be independent, young enough to still look to you for guidance. You'll have so much fun.

6. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2014

They can have "middle school drama" in the spring, especially once we start the process of picking electives for middle school. But really, it's just part of the process of growing up and learning how to navigate friendships. I really enjoy seeing them develop into their own personalities!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 9, 2014

Fifth is totally the best. ;) I keep having to pinch myself for ending up where I'm at-perfect school, perfect grade level. Just remember next fall when you get your class and they seem really squirrely that what you saw today was the product of 7+ months of your mom's work. ;) When they come to you in Aug/Sept, they will really be like fourth graders. Which will still be a huge step up from first. ;) Congrats, and I'm SO happy for you! Always here to share ideas and excitement.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 9, 2014

I really enjoyed 5th grade, 4th is better ;), but 5th is pretty awesome, too! Congratulations!!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2014

I loved 3rd, but I loved 5th, too. Maybe because I enjoyed the curriculum more. 5th reading, math, social studies were all favorites of mine. Good luck to you. Oh, I agree with the comment about 5th graders changing some in the spring; they do get more social and more like middle schoolers (at least in their minds).

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Apr 9, 2014

I've been teaching about 10 years now, and all of those have been in 4th and 5th grades. There's a special place in my heart for the upper elem kiddos! Like Upsadaisy, I enjoy the curriculum in the upper grades. I am ready to explore other areas of teaching, so I'm going the opposite direction and moving to 1st next year (unless it changes again). I'm looking forward to the change. You will love your 5th graders! :)

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 9, 2014

I love teaching 5th grade- it was my first placement :) I've been teaching it for 6 years now and even though I have a very trying group of 5th graders right now, I still just love how much they can do themselves and how much they tend to enjoy school.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2014

I always thought I wanted to teach 1st. I've done 4th and 3rd and I'm so happy with the upper elementary. They're still kids but they are so much more independent, you can do so much more with them I feel like. I love it. I'm hoping to have 4th next year.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2014

I'm excited for you!

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2014

Thanks everyone! I love hearing all of the positives about upper elementary. I am *very* excited. (I was at Disneyland all day yesterday - Spring Break! - so didn't make it on here to check responses until today!)

Jem, this new school is basically a "dream school" too...workshop model, VERY innovative, tech focused, etc - I am pinching myself too, that I was offered a job at this school in the first place, and at a grade level I think I will really love! :) I am impatient to start next year, lol!

(Also, it wasn't my mom's class, it was just at her school. ;) She doesn't teach 5th.)

And yes, even being like 4th graders is going to feel like a HUGE step up from 1st!! :lol:

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2014

I love 5th graders, too--depending on the school set-ups. 5th grade in a K-5 school was wonderful. I started in 5th in my current K-8 school. The 5th grade was self-contained, but in the same hallway as the departmentalized middle school (only 1 class per grade). We ate lunch with them, and had a few 'electives' with them. It was really tough, because they were trying so hard to act 'cool' like the big kids, and I had a LOT of attitude problems. I absolutely LOVE the 5th grade curriculum though, and miss it a ton!

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2014

I'll be teaching self-contained 5th at a K-5 school, thankfully. I can imagine there would be problems with the 5th graders sharing a space with middle schoolers - yikes!

17. cwhelan

cwhelan Rookie

Apr 10, 2014

Let me know how it is for you when you do!! I am interested to know how different it is and what you prefer. :)

18. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Apr 12, 2014

You'll love it! I work for an after school program as the assistant director, and my personal group is 5th and 6th grade. I had a tough group that first year and was convinced that I only wanted to teach K-2! But, after some of my placements, I quickly realized that 4-6 is much more my cup of tea. They're awesome (even my kids at work now!). I love that the curriculum is a bit more challenging, and that they are sometimes so mature. I feel like I'm talking to little adults, and they have a great sense of humor! I also feel like I'm really able to encompass their strengths and interests.