I think I'm going to get in trouble. Do you think I will be able to find another job?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by pinkcupcake90, Feb 23, 2016.

1. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Feb 23, 2016

Hi, everybody.

I'm working as a long-term sub in New Jersey. I'm a first year teacher going through ALTERNATE ROUTE. I'm finishing up my standard teaching license at Rutgers via Alternate Route.

Anyway, I used to think that this high school was the place I wanted to be forever. I do love my job, but man, do I hate this district. I dread going to work every single day.

To make matters worse, I said something today to a student that I regret. It involved a curse word. May God forgive me. I am a failure and I'm looking to resign as soon as possible, especially since the students chat and gossip like crazy. I don't know what's come over me, but I should have held my tongue. I'm just going through a rough time what with being in and out of the hospital for depression.

The student was being such a smart alec and trying to put me down in front of the entire class by telling me I can't spell or create a grammatically correct sentence. When another student corrected me, I thanked her, and the other student shouted, "Why do you thank her and bash me for pointing out your mistakes?" I replied with this: "Because there's a difference between being helpful and being a d-bag."

I plan to apologize to the student, but I think my teaching career is over. Should I resign from my job now before my boss finds out what I said?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 23, 2016

I don't think that you shoould resign from your job because you've come this far and there are only about four months left in the school year. As other teachers (including myself) have said in other threads, this sounds like a bad school and you probably just need to switch to a better one.

It's actually a good sign that the principal is trying to get you a contract because in his/her opinion, you would be an asset to the faculty.

About what was said in class today, I would just go on, teach the class, and act as if it never happened. If your boss questions you about it, I would say that I am sorry and that it will not happen again. I would also use this as a learning experience in that I will be prepared of how to handle a similar situation with a difficult student in the future. For instance, in the situation that you described above I would explain to the class that put downs and insults should not and will not be accepted in the classroom. I would enforce it by giving the discipline plan consequence (warning, detention, referral to dean, etc.) to anyone who makes such comments. Another thing that I would explain to the class is that if they have a question about a possible mistake, they should voice it in a respectable way and not in a way to make others feel bad for trying. In fact, we should encourage others to try in class.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2016

I disagree, in that you need to tell your administration right away. Even if it doesn't come of anything in terms of the students, they should be aware of a mistake you made, in case it comes back to them. Share your mistake, explain how you plan on making sure it doesn't happen again, and then move on.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2016

In my opinion, you need to let admin know asap about what you said to the student. They will hear about it, and it's best that it comes from you. While you may not need to resign over it, it would be a serious issue for me and I could anticipate an official reprimand. The language, itself, wouldn't be the primary problem, more the fact that it was directed at a student.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Feb 23, 2016

I know this is a serious situation, but if it makes you feel any better, I cackled. However, we need to make sure those kinds of thoughts -- and yes, we all have them sometimes -- get thoroughly cleaned by our brain-to-mouth filter.

7. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Feb 23, 2016

If it is a bad school, I really wonder if the boss will let it go. A good school has some latitude with mistakes, but a bad school may not.

8. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Feb 23, 2016

Thanks for your response. What should I say to the principal?

9. frteach

frteach Rookie

Feb 23, 2016

I said h*ll in class one day. I immediately ratted myself out to my principal. I just said that I am human and it slipped out by accident. He totally understood and he told me if he had any parent complaints we would handle them together. No parent ever complained, but I knew that I was covered if they did. He appreciated knowing ahead of time just in case a parent called.

Be honest. We are all human and stuff slips out sometimes. Face the music like an adult and you will be fine. There is no need to resign over this.

Obadiah and pinkcupcake90 like this.
  10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2016

"I'd like to let you know about something that happened in class yesterday." Then, be honest and explain the situation that led up to what you said. Don't leave anything out and let your administrator know that you recognize your mistake and tell them what you will do differently next time.

Obadiah likes this.
  11. bridgebreaker

bridgebreaker Rookie

Feb 23, 2016

I wouldn't worry about it. Before you put the baby in the bath, test the water. If you interface with other teachers, you can confide in them, and see what they advise on the issue. Can I ask what the students are like that are giving you resistance? Is your school in an urban environment? I am familiar with that type of school.

12. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Feb 23, 2016

It's a very bad district. It's a district where the principal refers to bad children as dickheads. Pardon my French.

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Feb 23, 2016

Given this piece of information, I don't think I'd worry about your indiscretion.

Carliee, Obadiah and Peregrin5 like this.
  14. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Feb 23, 2016

I feel so awful. I made a terrible mistake. God as my witness, I love teaching more than anything. It's a tough district, but I don't want to lose my teaching license. I have a job fair to attend this weekend. I pray that I can find another job. It was just very hard getting this one and getting hired via alternate route.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2016

You might want to delete the initials of your school in OP. I Knew which district it was immediately and it's an easy enough Google search. Good luck to you.

otterpop likes this.
  16. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Feb 23, 2016

If this is really the only mistake you have made, I seriously doubt you would even get in trouble for this. I would probably find another teacher you can ask about this issue with before you bring it up with your principal. At my school this would be frowned upon but I seriously doubt you would get fired or even reprimanded in writing. Everyone lets something slip every now and then and this is pretty minor especially if your in a high school class.

If the teacher you speak with says not to mention it then I probably wouldn't. Every school is different and things will be bigger deals in some places than others. If the person tells you to bring it up with the admin than do it but don't go in there crying and offering to quit. Try to stay calm and it will blow over.

Obadiah likes this.
  17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 23, 2016

I agree that you probably should let your principal know about what happened. But you should not worry as much as you do.
    You remind me of myself about 15 years ago or so when I was working for a very large company (for 8 years), and I was doing well, but at one point I had an abusive supervisor. She was the B from hell. Unfortunately at that time I didn't know how to stand up for myself diplomatically, meaning stand up for myself without getting in trouble.
    This lady messed with my mind so much that I was in constant anxiety. I made many mistakes because I was second guessing myself and I worried myself to death about small things because I thought I would get in huge trouble. And I made more mistakes. and I was in fear. It was horrible (she got demoted and hings got better lol)

I think you are so very stressed out that you overthink everything, you worry too much and you probably make mistakes because of that. Find a way to relax. Take a step back, and know that you're doing well, probably a lot better than other long term subs they had.
    Take a few days off if you can.

You comment about the cuss word you used, well, I imagined much much worse.

pinkcupcake90 and Obadiah like this.
  18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 24, 2016

LOL! I've said worse. Don't worry pink. If they report it, you may be asked to go into the office where they'll give you a slap on the wrist and tell you not to do it again, but don't freak out about it. Don't tell them if the students don't.

I understand how you feel though. I remember freaking out my first year because I told the class to "shut up" jokingly. I think if you get freaked out about it, the kids will sense it and use that to push your buttons.

19. bridgebreaker

bridgebreaker Rookie

Feb 24, 2016

Finally, Pink, I thought I was the only one dealing with city kids. The teachers in this forum seem to be teaching in Amish country. They have never had a dope pusher in their classroom! I have been attacked physically, I've had to wrestle the grade book away from a student. I've had one parent... well I don't want to scare the people on this forum with war stories.
    Hang in there. First, be aware that there is help on the way!! The book tough guys Torture Teachers is showing teachers the problem originates with drug distribution and the gangs.
    You should confront your students. Ask them what drugs cost. The type of drug that is sold. You can Id the pusher by size and nastiness. The 7th grade is where they usually start pushing. TGTT tells the entire history of the problem. Do you remember the movie Dangerous minds? It was set in LA. It's the story of a teacher Mary Lou Johnson who taught in a city school. that was in the early 90's.
    The teachers n this forum may be having the problem but don't realize its social situation they are dealing with. Imagine the day that the world discovered germs.

TGTT explains it all. You need to give it to you Principal. He should get the author to speak at your church.
    Does your school have a leper colony where the really bad ones go? We have a teacher in my church who was in charge of the lepers. He had to quit.
    Also TGTT offers an answer, but the solution must be administered on a state wide basis. This is moving into suburban schools now and into Europe too. Anywhere there is drug distribution, the situation exists.

nstructor likes this.
  20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 24, 2016

I did not see anywhere where the OP mentioned drugs, so I feel like your sales pitch is a little odd.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  21. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 24, 2016

For the record, the movie Dangerous Minds didn't accurately portray the events that indeed occurred. The movie was loosely based on author LouAnne Johnson's book, My Posse Don't Do Homework in which she described her five years of teaching at Carlmont High School; this school is located in Belmont, CA and not Los Angeles. (In the book and movie, the school's name was changed to Parkmont High School.) Belmont is located over 350 miles away from LA.

According to Niche.com, Carlmont High is one of the top 100 schools in Cali to date. Niche further notes that Carlmont High's community of Belmont is considered affluent (median household income of $100,000). I for one couldn't afford any of Belmont's homes (average of over $800,000) on my teacher's salary. LouAnne's book further mentioned that many students at this school came from well-to-do families back then and from what I understand, this status quo hasn't changed since then.

LouAnne herself has written on her website (www.louannejohnson.com) that the events in the movie Dangerous Minds were so ridiculous that she couldn't stop laughing. This is one of her takes on the movie:
    www.louannejohnson.com/files/My_Thoughts_re_the_movie_Dangerous_Minds.pdf

otterpop likes this.