I think I'm allergic to my classroom!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sarypotter, Aug 9, 2008.

1. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I worked in my classroom today and started sneezing like crazy, all day long. As soon as I left, I felt better.

Come to think of it, I was sneezing and wheezing the whole month I worked there at the end of last year, too! I just assumed it was seasonal allergies then!

Hmm ...

Oh, well. I got a LOT of work done. I meant to stay for a couple of hours and ended up staying for six! I don't have a printer or laminator yet, so I was limited in what I could accomplish, but I got a few things organized and put together an individual work space for a student who needs it.

You know what I'm more allergic to than my classroom, though? I'm allergic to not having access to a laminator! Maybe that's something I'll invest in for my classroom with some of my curricular money, if I have any this year.

Pics of my room: http://sites.google.com/site/swdooley/photos

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

Have them check the air ducts. My classroom has had a mold problem for 3 years and it constantly gives me allergy issues.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 9, 2008

My scientist hubby taught me a trick to test for mold in the air ducts. Seriously, put a hunk of CHEESE near where the vent blows strongest (not Kraft American slices, as that isn't actual cheese). If there is something obviously growing on the cheese after a day or two, you have a mold problem.

Bear in mind, the problem may also be dust mites. I mistook that allergy for a mold one until I had a scratch test.

5. lysithea88

lysithea88 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I actually developed asthma as a result of where I'm working. The doc said it was either something in the air at work or the emotional stress going along with the position. Either way, being a teacher has messed with my system.

6. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I am allergic to dust mites and I sneeze a lot in my classroom when working/moving things around at the end of summer. It gets better when the dust settles. :)

7. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Ick. I'd hoped I was imagining things! I wouldn't be surprised if that big old building was chock full of allergens, though.

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

It is possible. I have a classroom that was built in the 50's and i sneeze alot in the winter when i have the heat going alot. When i dust which i try to do often i sneeze alot. It worries me the students start sneezing I try to make sure I dust that week. My classroom well all the ones on my wing tend to have a sut problem. But, our classroom when you go out the door you are outside on a sidewalk. I have noticed I have a huge gap under my door and when they mow etc.. all that junk comes in my classroom. Its no wonder everyone sneezes so much.