I Think I Should Just Leave California

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tonitrus1992, Feb 14, 2017.

1. sportsguy

sportsguy Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Fiscally, California is one of the worst states to teach in. You lose a significant amount of your income to rent each month, 10% goes towards CalSTRS, state income tax is high, and healthcare costs aren't covered by most districts. I hated seeing 30% of my income taken out through taxes and retirement contributions, and then having to shell over $300/mo for healthcare and $2000/mo for rent. It's impossible to get ahead financially. I moved to another state and fiscally I'm much better off.

The only thing I miss about teaching in California is having the ability to strike. This gave the union power which they used to negotiate things that made teaching more effective (90 min of collaboration each week, class sizes under 30, no more than 2 preps).

ms.irene likes this.
  2. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 14, 2017

Do it! It's your career :)

Tonitrus1992 likes this.
  3. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Where were you that you were getting class sizes under thirty and ninety minutes of collaboration?

4. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Thank you, I can use all the encouragement I can get right now. My mom thinks I'm crazy (and she'll take swipes at the idea in her usual way) but I know it's for the best to get out.

5. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Feb 15, 2017

"Where were you that you were getting class sizes under thirty and ninety minutes of collaboration?" I know of some districts in LA counties (such as Rancho Palos Verdes, Pacific Palisades, Manhattan Beach, La Canada Flintridge) and in south OC (such as Corona del Mar and Newport Beach) that make sure that classes are under thirty and that teachers receive sufficient release time for training. I've noticed that schools in Palo Alto and Rancho Santa Fe also have these characteristics. As anyone in Cali probably knows, those districts serve students from mostly upper-middle to affluent families with high parent involvement.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 15, 2017

No problem. At the end of the day the only person who is going to make you happy is you.

Tonitrus1992 likes this.
  7. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 15, 2017

I did the ca credential - TPAs, test after test after test, every hoop they could throw at me, including BTSA and other stuff. I did not feel that they made me a better teacher - more power to those that were helped by these things, I wasn't one of 'em. BUT, the paperwork and busy work did help me to realize that I am skilled at just sticking with it and getting it done. Teaching taught me to be better. Reflecting over time on what works, what doesn't. IF you decide to stay in CA, just hunker down and do the work and trust that as you teach, you will reflect and learn. I did k-12, so lots of hoops - but I knew I wanted to be in the area I lived. Don't move because there are too many hoops to jump through, move because you are going where you want to live. Wherever you end up, good luck!

ms.irene likes this.
  8. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Feb 26, 2017

I would say finish the credential then transfer it. Many states will take ca creds.....or move to a less expensive part of the state. I moved to a town in the central valley where cost of living is lower and am paid more than many bay area teachers. Plus we still have the cali teacher unions backing which is nice....