I Think I Should Just Leave California

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tonitrus1992, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

I am a substitute in California going through a teaching credential program and it is honestly sucking all the joy out of my life. TPAs, endless tests, worthless assignments, and thousands of dollars spent on classes for what?! Just so I can live in one of the most overpriced parts of the country on a wage that's barely cutting it?! I'm no stranger to hard work but if there is one thing I can't stand it's arbitrary work.

I have enjoyed substituting. I have done it for a year now. I often think about all the things I would do with a class but then the mind numbing, frustrating, and time wasting junk that makes up my credential makes me want to scream. It makes me want to go find something else to do.

What's worse, I know that if I were living in Texas or Florida or Arizona I would be credentialed by now with a lot less frustration and stress and wasted money.

I would leave this awful place but then I would have no way to support myself. Few employers today will hire you unless you live in the area already so getting a job first and moving afterward is out of the question. However, if instead I moved first and then tried to get a job after I could potentially run out of money and be left homeless. I'm stuck with no way to win.

I'll say it, I hate California! I hate the people who run this state! I'm so tired and frustrated and I can't take it anymore!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 14, 2017

Well, there are 49 other states! Have at it! :D

Tonitrus1992, ms.irene and Pashtun like this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Feb 14, 2017

Seriously go to AZ. They NEED teachers and will hire uncertified people... granting them emergency licenses... which gets you a job.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 14, 2017

I got through it. And it was worth it. I recently changed states and wish to heck I was back in California, but different strokes for different folks.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 14, 2017

I like little ol' podunk Alabama myself. :D

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Feb 14, 2017

I got a job in CA from out of state...it's not impossible. If you want to get out of CA, go for it!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 14, 2017

I used to dream of teaching in Alaska, but then Rockhubby and I bought a house here in central Ohio. Maybe it's a dream for you instead?

9. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

AZ is one of my top two. My cousins live there and I really like it.

What do you know about teacher preparation through Teach-Now or AZCTP? I know that they're not the traditional way to get licensed there but they are convenient and they will allow me to get an internship permit.

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Feb 14, 2017

I don't know anything about that. I moved from NY for a few years and got some teaching experience. But I know how desperate they are for teachers.

11. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Thank you. Everybody I talk to seems to think that leaving California is just the worst thing ever. They treat me like a heretic.

Your words are encouraging.

12. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Good, then I should give them a shot.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Feb 14, 2017

Yeah I used to think NY was the "gold" standard for education and it was the place to be... meh. I only want to work in one district (my home) and if I can't get a job there, I'll move again. No biggie. You go where the job is. I know so many people who NEVER get their own classroom because they refuse to leave and end up being damned to sub for their careers. It's sad.

Tonitrus1992 likes this.
  14. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Yeah, in California they tell us that RICA and all the TPAs and the extra classes will make us better teachers but I don't think so. My relatives are teachers in other states and they strike me as no better or worse than the teachers here.

At this point I just want to work and the added hoops that California makes you jump through have run me down. In my mind places like Arizona and Florida equal freedom which is something I need right now.

15. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Feb 14, 2017

I'm in grad school now and said in class the other night and probably offended some: "You can't learn to do this job by reading text books. Sorry." You should have seen the professor's face. o_O
    I wanted to go back to school, and I'm only in my second semester and already sick of it and missing the classroom. I'm going to leave the program in May and find an alternative pathway to get the cert I want. I'm ready to be back in the trenches with my colleagues. :D:fist: I just needed to leave and try this out first.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  16. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Do you think they would hire me with just an internship permit?

17. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Also, I totally agree with you that you can't learn to do this from a book. It's important to know what an IEP is and some of the lingo but this is something you learn by doing. What state do you want to get your alt cert in?

18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Devotee

Feb 14, 2017

I'm already a licensed teacher in NY but I was going back for literacy. However, upon thought and reflection, I will apply for my National Board Cert in literacy which will be more prestigious anyway.
    :)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2017

*shrug* One gets out of any licensure program, or any test, pretty much what one puts into it.

DressageLady and yellowdaisies like this.
  20. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Feb 14, 2017

I'm a native Californian, but moved out of state when I was 12 years old, so I ended up going to uni in West Virginia and getting my teaching cert. there. Then, I moved back to CA when I graduated uni and had my WV teaching cert. The teaching prep program in WV was NOTHING to what my friends in California told me about. You are right, there's tons and tons of work. One of my friends told me she got shingles towards the end of her TPAs because of the stress!!! I love California. I truly do. I currently work abroad, but taught in Socal for three years before leaving the country. I worked in a great charter school, but you are right. California is so expensive. When I was home for Christmas I had the realization that there's no way my husband and I could move back and have the same life we have abroad. We can't afford California (specifically the part where I'm from), which makes me sad! I love it and want to be closer to my family one day, but I love to travel. If we moved home we'd be up to our eyeballs in either a mortgage/bills or rent/bills with no money to travel. My husband is just getting his teaching credential this year, so I'm the main breadwinner.

If you want to leave California, do it. It's your life. Hang in there and get through your credentialing program. Once done, apply to places you are interested in. You never know! Best of luck.

21. Tonitrus1992

Tonitrus1992 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Yeah, when it started impacting my physical health was when I knew I had to go somewhere else. That was basically rock bottom.

I'm not going to finish my credential in California. I will go somewhere else. There is no reason to put up with California's junk unless you're going to stay in California and I'm not going to.