I think I made a mistake.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JDawn2005, Jun 13, 2017.

1. JDawn2005

JDawn2005 New Member

Jun 13, 2017

I’m not sure where else to go for advice. I’m getting ready to finish my degree in special education and I feel like I made the biggest mistake. I love working with children but I hate teaching. I’ve been doing private homeschooling for the past two years, I love and hate it. Before this I worked for a special needs school, this is where I decided to go back and finish my degree. I hate the thought of going in for my observation hours. Is there anything I can do with an education degree besides teaching? I think I was listening to everyone else saying how I’d be good at it instead of my own thoughts.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 13, 2017

What specifically do you hate about your current job? What do you love about it? How close are you to finishing? When you started, where did you imagine yourself teaching? How and where are your observation hours completed?

I can probably offer some suggestions, but I feel like I need a little more information first.

4. JDawn2005

JDawn2005 New Member

Jun 13, 2017

My student teaching is set for January and I already have an associate’s degree. I’ve done observation hours in everything from pre-k to 3 in typical classrooms and special education classrooms. I love working with the kids doing crafts and experiments but I hate developing actually lessons and delivering them. I don’t know where I saw myself, I was working a dead-end job and I think I just rushed into it because I already had an associate’s degree in early childhood.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 13, 2017

I do think having your degree/credential will open more doors for you. You might want to move towards museum work at a science/kids museum, or an after school program, in a more senior position. Lesson planning in real life is generally very different from the planning that credential programs require. I had to write full scripts for my plans for my program, but that's not how I teach, so I just don't write my plans that way now. So the observation hours you hate the thought of doing, is that you watching someone else teach in their classroom?

6. Sab

Sab Rookie

Jun 13, 2017

I feel you. I recently got my credential and I have some regrets. Like you, I love working with children, but actually teaching is pretty different. Like when I babysat or worked after-school programs I'd get to help kids individually a lot or play games with them, joke around with them, etc and teaching is nothing like that. I always feel bad when a kid wants to tell me a story or something in the classroom and I have to say "Sorry, I don't have time for that. Let's focus on the lesson." It's just a different kind of interaction when you have so many students, and there's so much other work like planning and grading and meetings. Even when I was just student teaching I was so stressed out all the time, I feel like I get overwhelmed easily in the classroom, and even outside I'm just so constantly stressed. Like one day my car wouldn't start in the morning and it was kind of a disaster even though I was fortunate enough to have an understanding CT who helped me out, but I always think of how much worse something like that would be if I had my own classroom. I'm hoping that when I am teaching and have a bit more experience I'll relax and find a better work-life balance but honestly I still don't see myself teaching forever. I feel like the pay is too low for such a stressful and demanding job and I don't really have the right personality type for it.

Honestly, I would suggest not getting your credential if you're already doubting whether you want to teach. You can always go get it later but you can't get back the money and time you wasted pursuing a career you don't want.
    And do you mean your BA would be in education? Do you need that to teach in your state? In California your undergrad can be in anything cause you need another year for the credential anyways and almost everyone I know who majored in education or liberal studies in order to be a teacher regrets it. You don't NEED that degree to teach, and there's very little else you can do with it. Much better to get your degree in something that could be useful as a backup plan. I guess if you're already close to a bachelor's in that though I'd finish it. Better to have a degree than none at all even if it's not the most useful one.
    Good luck