I teach 19 three year olds. Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tgtbtj, Aug 31, 2015.

1. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Aug 31, 2015

I have taught three year olds before but always small groups. This year I have 19 with a morning aide and an afternoon aide. Can anyone offer some suggestions for how I can get activities done with a group this large? How do you all circulate in your centers and do you work with small groups while the rest of the kids play? This is the only way I can imagine getting anything done! Please help in desperate!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2015
  3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 7, 2015

19 is a difficult group! I had 19 at my previous school, and 16 now. At the beginning of the year, I spend LOTS of time teaching procedures. I don't put new toys or activities out until I teach how to use them, I have a center management system to help regulate how they move around between centers, and I teach clean-up procedures like crazy. I don't do any "small group" activities for a few weeks. In my class now, we've been in school for 3 weeks and still haven't done any small groups. It takes both my assistant and I to circulate around the classroom and make sure everything is going ok. I do set out an independent activity on the tables (stencils, paint, chalk, cutting, gluing, etc..) each day so that they have something different to work on. After I feel like my students are settled into routines, then I'll start doing a small group each day while my assistant circulates around the room. Typically I plan an activity for 2 days, so Monday & Tuesday I do a math activity (half the kids on monday, half on tuesday), Wednesday & Thursday I do a literacy activity, and then Fridays I do a simple art activity.

Kitty Goh likes this.