I started vlogging!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 6, 2017

I know that this site is anonymous, but I just started vlogging and I'm so eager to share my videos with you! And in turn, if you also vlog, please share with me (or post here if you'd prefer). I'm leaving my link on this page and ask that you like & SUBSCRIBE to my channel if you're a fellow Youtuber. I'm trying to start with "big" topics that I think would help new teachers since a new school year is about to begin and eventually I'll just provide commentary on every day things.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd_rEYYlzcT5C8vkTZXJSTA?view_as=subscriber

Thanks!
    :D:):thumbs:

3. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Rookie

Aug 6, 2017

Nice! I've never made a vlog before, but I always wanted to. I looked at your #4 on classroom management. I am really impressed by how you speak. You are clear, nice pace, and easy to listen to. How to you avoid the "umm" and "ah"s? I always do that when I make a video!

I have this dream of flipping my classes to some extent. I have made a few videos. I guess I just need to jump in. Keep up the good work!

SageScience and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 6, 2017

Thanks! I'm trying to get my viewers and subscribers up (so I can be like the other vloggers) and yeah, those "filler" words.. :rofl:I'm glad it's not a job interview. HAHA
    I still use them ("umm" and "like") but I had written ideas (perhaps a script?) so I wasn't flying blind. But there were times I went on tangents.
    lol

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 6, 2017

As someone who has already gone down the slipped classroom road, and lessened it immensely, it does have it's uses. I realized I was falling into the common trap of lecturing through a video. A pretty terrible way to teach. I find it very effective with math, though you don't have to make your own videos because tons exist. I made my own for math for specific modeling from Math in Focus (bar models).

I was irritated when my former super said it should be one tool in my bag, but ultimately she was right. In that one specific instance lol.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 6, 2017

I went and took a look. Granted I don't typically sit and watch vlogs, but it seems like yours are really long. I have found when I make PD videos, they always get watched if they are under 2 minutes, and mostly get watched when under 5 minutes. Anything over 10 and no one is watching, maybe some skipping around if you're lucky.

Good luck with the vlogging!

SageScience and Leaborb192 like this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 6, 2017

Truth! I do plan on making shorter ones, but I wanted to create longer videos for those interested (especially for those new teachers) so I really could explore the topics in length. I think it's really hard to just distill classroom management into a quick two minute clip if you're trying to offer tips and tricks, but I get what you're saying 100%
    :)

SageScience and AlwaysAttend like this.
  8. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Aug 6, 2017

I love this idea! I subscribed to your channel and am watching your videos. I agree with the above poster that you speak very clearly. Yes, do make the videos a bit shorter moving forward. Great job!

9. stask81

stask81 Rookie

Aug 7, 2017

Thanks for sharing.. like it. But yes, shorter, bite-sized clips at best 10 minutes will be ideal :thumbs::thumbs:

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 7, 2017

OK, so length seems to be the consensus? That's good to know and if worse comes to worse, I could always split up videos into sections. I'm hoping that the new teachers out there who are looking for videos on classroom management or lesson planning, etc., won't be deterred by the length. But that's definitely something I can easily fix.
    Thanks guys!
    :):thumbs:

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Rookie

Aug 7, 2017

I think your content is great. In addition to the length, the only other thing that might help to change it up would be to not just have the camera on you the whole time. If you can somehow work in slides in the background or something like that for part of it summarizing your main ideas, I could see that as being helpful.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 7, 2017

True. I'll have to dive in and learn how to be techie to include all that stuff.. well it'll give me a project for the second half of the summer!
    :D

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2017

I truthfully couldn't sit thru more than just a few minutes of the few blogs I looked at. Some thoughts:
    You look at your notes a lot. It doesn't seem you are speaking from your heart and experience
    You move A LOT. Forward and back from camera in a rocking motion. It's a bit dizzying and distracting
    The length of the videos is too long
    Granted I didn't watch more than a quick clip of a few, so maybe you change things up a bit, but I found they are very 'talking head' lecture type format. Maybe focus on one or two really helpful tips or strategies per video rather than a 'soup to nuts' approach You might include a few visuals, a tour of your classroom, anchor charts, etc. Maybe some personal anecdotes-you want viewers to connect to YOU.

All that said, I applaud your motivation to share and help others. Keep it up, you'll work out the kinks!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 7, 2017

All great feedback to help me improve. The notes are just my way of attempting to stay on track (though it didn't always work) :toofunny:And unfortunately I don't have a classroom of my own right now... though I will be mighty excited to be get back in and show it all off when I have one. And yes, I definitely plan on doing more targeted mini vlogs on specific topics as I venture into the future.
    Basically, I just watched a bunch of vlogs where they talk into the camera (usually in their classroom) and then just copied that style. I'm still fining my ''voice'' when it comes to vlogging.

Thanks!
    :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2017

One last thought-consider your attire. In the one video you are wearing a white tee which looks like a white undershirt. :D

Leaborb192 likes this.