I start my new job tomorrow...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hbcaligirl1985, Feb 3, 2013.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 3, 2013

...and I'm very nervous!

The teacher I'm taking over for is leaving because her husband got a job elsewhere. Right now I'm only there for two weeks until they decide what to do. I'm HOPING I can get on for the entire year. I don't think it's fair to have the kids--who are already used to their teacher start adjusting to me only to lose me in two weeks! I have no idea how to make it known that I _want_ this job for the long haul without sounding pushy or aggressive. :help: Advice would be lovely.

In any case, for the next two weeks these 7th, 8th and 10th graders are mine and I'm SUPER excited. I've worked with all these kids before and I just adore them.

I think I'm too excited to sleep tonight.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 3, 2013

good luck! good subs often get jobs at my school...so do your best!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 3, 2013

Good luck!!
    I'm sure someone will come in to observe you once or twice if they're thinking about keeping you, so make sure you bring your A-game everyday.
    Whenever the opportunity is there, mention that you would like to stay in this assignment through the year - I don't think that wold be aggressive at all.
    Or maybe you could even talk to the P and let him know.

5. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 3, 2013

During my prep period for the next few days I am going to go observe some of the other teachers who will be teaching the same books as I am. I want to see how they introduce the book and see what in class activities they do. Just so I have an idea and am not having them just 'read aloud in class' all day.

I am hoping they come to observe me! My two favorite books of all time are being taught in the 4th quarter and I want to teach them SO BAD! =D

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 4, 2013

I'd do this. :agreed:

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 4, 2013

Also I've found that one of the best ways to stand out is to talk to other teachers. Have lunch with them, etc. Of course don't bug them, some of them don't have time, have their own problems or just don't want to talk, but if there is someone, talk to them, ask questions, etc.
    They'll be able to tell a lot about you by the type of questions you ask, information you share, etc. Be positive, always happy to be there and cheerful.

I remember when I was student teaching we had the best lunches, every day for 6 months. It was my master teacher and about 4-5 other grade level teachers. I've learned so much, but we also had fun. I definitely had enough issues, because I had a couple of rowdy classes, but the way I asked questions was always a: present the situation, b: describe your solution, c: ask for advice. It was great.
    There was a math teacher who seemed to struggle a lot, she "asked" for advice the following way: a: presented the situation, b: said she didn't know what to do. She just seemed to be complaining a lot. When she was offered advice, she didn't seem receptive at all.
    She actually got fired in March. I don't know exactly what happened, but I do know that in 'our group' my master teacher had a great influence on the P, and there was a teacher who'd been at the school for over 15 years, maybe more (and was the best teacher I've met). You just never know who has a say-so at the school.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 4, 2013

Good luck! I hope it becomes permanent. :)

9. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 4, 2013

Linguist, that is the best advice I've ever heard. Thank you so much!! =D I can't wait to start tomorrow. I'm too excited to sleep!!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2013

Enjoy your day today!

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 4, 2013

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

The English teacher in me wants to know what books you get to teach! I'm teaching my favorite 4th quarter (To Kill a Mockingbird).

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2013

Definitely talk to the P about how you would like to finish the year with these students.

Also, make sure to ask the P to come do an observation or two so that you can get a good letter of recommendation (in case you are job searching next year).

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2013

Thinking of you! Make sure the students know you want to be there for them in the long haul. They probably feel a little abandoned.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2013

Good luck today and in the rest of the semester ;)

15. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 4, 2013

Today has been a looong day. I have some good classes and a few that make me want to cringe. Oh well, such is life?? :)

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 4, 2013

That is to be expected. Otherwise, what did you guys do? How did it go?

17. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2013

Congrats on getting through your first day! I somehow missed the thread yesterday, but I'm excited for you nonetheless!

18. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 4, 2013

Today was basically a getting to know you. I explained my rules and expectations. I explained that while I would not change a lot of the previous teachers rules and how she conducted her class and work, that I would modify and change things to suit my own style of teaching as I see fit.

I had them fill out information sheets for me and I also had them write out what their expectations were of me as their teacher. What did they need from me in order to be successful. Some took it seriously, some didn't.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2013

That's pretty par for the course, hb: they're probably feeling rather bounced around, and not taking the information sheet seriously may well reflect that.

What's the best thing that happened today?

20. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 4, 2013

Helpful teachers giving me materials was nice, but the overjoyed reaction of one of the classes when they saw me in the classroom (ie: cheering and clapping) was the best part of the day. Even the teacher I share a room with remarked that it was 'very nice' and that I probably have a good handle on them. She is giving me advice on how to ensure that I'm the one that stays.

As for students not taking it seriously...I am just surprised it's the 8th graders and not the 7th graders. I'm working on a game plan though. Today I held them 3 minutes after the bell to let them know that I was serious and would not back down on consequences for bad behavior (and I mean this was BAD behavior)

Funny story though, my cousin so how haggered I looked after that class period when passing by and immediately went to the office to request to switch teachers to aide for. He wanted to ensure that I had 'help'.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2013

While it's still fresh in your mind, you might consider making a note about that overjoyed reaction - describe it with some specificity - so that you can call it to mind when you need to counter some negative voices in your head.

I could be more surprised about the eighth graders not being the ones to take it seriously: one also sees adults act out in childish ways when they're figure they're not supposed to care about something but it still hurts. At least some of these young people probably don't want to get attached and then - pfft! - you too are gone. It would be wrong to lower your expectations for them, of course, but do give them the benefit of a clean slate tomorrow.

Thrilled that the other teacher is mentoring you here!