I Really Need Help with the FTCE Elementary Education Exam K-6

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by meeper22, Feb 1, 2010.

1. teacherlaura

teacherlaura New Member

Sep 30, 2011

Hi Paquel - would you be able to help me out too? I would greatly appreciate any help!!!

2. ESETEACHER

ESETEACHER New Member

Nov 28, 2011

ELEM Exam

Is there anyone that is studying to take this test? I have taken it 2 times and both times failed by a point. I am frustrated!!

3. ESETEACHER

ESETEACHER New Member

Nov 28, 2011

JUSTwant2teach CONGRATS!!!! Any hints to tell us? I have failed twice by 1 point.

4. determined

determined New Member

Jan 21, 2012

Hi, meeper22
    I think I took the same verson of the test that you described in your post. I studied the cliff notes book and nothing in the book was on the test. I failed but did not get the official score yet. I have to pass this test by the first of April. I am afraid if I use the same study guide I will not pass. Can someone please recomend a good study guide that will help me to be successful on passing the second time around.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2012

Hugs, determined.

I know of one line of teacher-test prep books that includes no practice questions whatsoever; the author's rationale is that people get so hung up on the specific practice questions that they lose sight of all the different ways that a concept can be tested. Eliminating the practice questions is going a bit far, but the author has a point.

Teacher tests as a class seem to have moved from regurgitation of facts to application of principles. This is a positive development in my opinion, but it does require a somewhat different approach from the test taker. Since these questions often pose scenarios, your task is to analyze the scenario in terms of who or what is present and the principles involved: if you're pushing a file cart up a ramp, you're working against the force of gravity but not so much against friction, but if you're pushing a box of books up the same ramp, both gravity and friction need to be taken into account.

6. profrose

profrose New Member

Mar 29, 2012

Frustrated also

:| Hi. I myself took the SAE 3 times and did not pass. The second time I took it, I was 25 points away from passing, The tird time I took it, I was 8 points away from passing. I studied every book and study guide. I am now frustrated becasue it is holding back my student teaching. Would you be able to help out in study tips or materials. I plan on taking it again in the middle of June.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  7. An65

An65 New Member

Apr 21, 2012

Hi paquel,

I too need help with the elementary k-6 test. I would be so grateful if you could send this to me.

Thanks,
    Ana

8. teacher1224

teacher1224 New Member

Apr 22, 2012

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled to take the FTCE K-6 exam and help help with study guides will be greatly appreciated. Also,Paquel, I would love any study guides information or tips you may have. thanks

9. rubyredslippers

rubyredslippers New Member

May 10, 2012

I have just taken the Elem Ed K-6 and failed. I used Cliff Notes for a study guide and about 6 questions were on the test. I was extremely upset because I studied for 2 months and nothing was on the test. Some things I taught to my class happen to be on there and that was helpful but if you are not teaching and the guides do not help then there is no way of passing.

10. rubyredslippers

rubyredslippers New Member

May 10, 2012

So happy to hear that. Can you please advise as to what test guides you felt helped the most to pass this test. I studied with Cliff Notes and it did not help one bit. I sat there and wanted to walk out but 200 dollars is a lot of money. Not to mention the retake is even more, I am not rich and do not spend anymore money then I have to. Thanks. :)

11. callen6933

callen6933 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012

I'm trying not to get discouraged I need help!!!!

12. zmanzelli

zmanzelli Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

I passed first try

I'll tell you what I did because I only had two weeks to study for the test. I got the Cliff Notes, REA FTCE Elementary K-6 (2012), the XAM FTCE Elementary K-6 and signed up for the online class through the Department of Education that I found in this particular forum. Then I downloaded the competancies and printed them out. I started with the first competancy, Language Arts, which was 7% of the test...that was high compared to all the other competancies so I figured it was important. I took all three books and read that portion and wrote down specifics. I did that with every competancy that was 3% and higher. Then when I finished a particular subject, like Language Arts, I did the online class for that particular one and skimmed through it focusing on things I didn't understand.

I spent 2-4 hours a day studying but then I did only have two weeks to prepare - if you have more time, you can spread that time out.

13. zmanzelli

zmanzelli Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

One more thing

The other thing I would like to add is that the questions on the pratice tests in these books are not questions that are on the test, they are more to check knowledge of subjects and to help you become familiar with the format so don't spend a lot of time on the tests, per se.

If something is highlighted in all three of the books I mentioned, it is probably important to know!

14. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2012

If you are confused, just think "Which of these answers makes the MOST sense?" They sometimes try to confuse you by putting two answers that are very similar, but one is correct.

15. Airam25

Airam25 New Member

Aug 14, 2012

I NEED HELP!!!

Hi! do you still have this helpful guide? I did took the test today and the result...NOT PASS:( I studied very hard, used different guide materials including FTCE Elementary Education K-6 by Cliffnotes but did not help me at all, questions are way off from the test. Hope this guide that you are sharing will help me too:) Thanks!!

16. sacain21

sacain21 New Member

Nov 7, 2012

Stressed, Depressed, Overwhelmed

Hello All,

I have been reading the different post from recent years to now on the troubles people are having with passing the FTCE K-6 Exam. I am too in the same boat with passing the exam. I took it in August and missed it by 18 pts. I felt that I studied enough that I knew the material. I even felt confident when taking the exam, except on the Science Technology, P.E., and Music. I have numerous of study guides that I studied, cliff notes, practice test, along with reading the correct answer and reasoning. I am so afraid to take the assessment again. I feel that I have more pressure on me because I cannot student teach until I pass this exam and I need to pass it before Feb 2013 in order to student teach Aug 2013. I didn't make the Spring 2013 deadline because of not passing it :-(... I have read the post that stated to relax, pray, and pray some more, which I truly believe will definitely help me the next time that I do take the exam. I was told that I am overthinking and need to relax. I pray that the next time I can give a praise report of stating that I PASSED like many others!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 7, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, sacain21.

How are you generally as a study buddy/tutor/homework helper? How are you at solving problems in other people's lives?

18. CAteachernFL

CAteachernFL New Member

Nov 19, 2012

Hi I'm a teacher from CA, FLDOE isn't showing reciprocity for my CSET Multiple Subject Scores K -12. So they're requiring me to take the FTCE for K - 6.

Is the online Comprehensive 7 day course a scam?
    Anybody try it?

I'm using Cliff notes.. but worried because most say those questions aren't on the test.

Will somebody point me in the right direction in regards to study materials?

19. Mpelayo

Mpelayo New Member

Dec 3, 2012

Hi paquel could you please send me the material u have

20. CAteachernFL

CAteachernFL New Member

Jan 31, 2013

I JUST PASSED THE FTCE K- 6 .. here is how....

I passed on the first try!
    I used a website called Quizlet

Go to menu on left, it says professional careers, hit teaching careers.. put in a search for FTCE Elementary Education.

Sample tests on every Competency..

YOU WILL PASS

This is FREE and if you master these tests and online flashcards..
    You will pass!!!!!!!

That's all I did!! Passed the first time !!! Yippie..

Hope this helps!