I need your best strategies on dealing with "mean girls"!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 3, 2018

The 6th grade has a group of mean girls that are driving me crazy. They are all in my homeroom and I know that they do not like me, which is fine. However, they have a lot of drama. In another class, they had their phone out, taking a snapchat of someone else, etc.

They are sometimes rude to me by not listening. I had to write one student up for refusing to take off her hood. They consistently try to talk during math. One girl does not take notes in class and complains every day that she's confused when she doesn't try. Another student didn't take notes, so I told him that he has to copy the notes before I help him...to which he responded "Isn't a teacher supposed to help?" and I heard the girl say something about getting fired. When I raised my voice at the kids, she said "why are you yelling at us?" I feel like she doesn't cross the line to get a detention always but they are getting under my skin. How do you handle these types of "mean girls"? I feel bad that 2 girls seem to be influencing the behavior of the other kids.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 4, 2018

Have you called the parents yet?

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 4, 2018

Yes. And the vice principal is trying to reach the mom of the other student.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 4, 2018

We are in the process of having "come to Jesus" meetings with our mean girls. We bring them in one at a time and have the entire team of teachers talk to them about their behavior. We also call parents.

Sometimes parents will straighten them out, and sometimes the girls learned it from their mothers. :rolleyes:

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Dec 4, 2018

I wish we had teams at my school! I would love to do this!

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 4, 2018

When I was in middle school, I remember our counselor and vice principal used to pull a group of girls from class for something like "girls group". (I wasn't a member.) Even though it was branded as a teambuilding and leadership group, it was obvious they were pulling out the mean girls who were prone to drama and catty girl issues. It didn't work as far as I could tell. Those girls kept it up until graduating.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 4, 2018

It seems like these girls are clever and sneaky enough to behave in a way that is disruptive but not bad enough to warrant any real consequence. They keep doing it, and altogether it would warrant a huge consequence but we tend to loo at each misbehavior as isolated incident, and are afraid that we get questioned for the unjustifiable consequence.
    I used to have a big problem with this, because the above written was my thought process. so I unintentionally let these kids get away with murder.

The only thing I can suggest is the only thing that has worked for me:
    introduce a 3 strikes you're out system. Any minor misbehavior gets a warning. After 2nd warning, along with the 3rd you assign the consequence whether it's detention, removal from class, etc. Always call hoe and notify parents.

The behavior you described, although might see somewhat minor, qualifies as being disruptive, disrespectful, or off task . Each of these can warrant a consequence.
    Make sure you this across the board, not only for these students.

otterpop likes this.