I need to rant

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 24, 2010

I get so tired sometimes of 'educrats' who have either never taught or have been out of the classroom so long they forgot what it's actually like trying to make us 'more effective' teachers or working to hold us 'more accountable.'

Case in point:

Today was a county workday. We had to spend the day doing some form of professional development. I registered for a CPR course (something I actually needed.) But the course only ran until 2:00, so I was told I had to pick an online course to do, and that I couldn't use that time to work in my classroom. And no, sorry, I can't take the course online, even though my morning CPR class was 5 minutes from my house and the commute to work is 60 minutes round trip. Sigh...

So I go back to school, take the online module, and I had just enough time to pack my bags to plan over the weekend and hustle out so I could come home and iron my clothes before heading to my second job (the one I need because we're paid so little :whistle:)

I didn't get to get anything of importance done today. There was no time to plan with my team, no time to fiddle around with my Mimeo and find cool stuff, no time to hang student work, organize my manipulatives, etc.

UGH!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening ;)

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2010

:hugs:

All of our workdays are now split 50/50 - half for PD; half for classroom time. It's an interesting trend in my county - we have a full week before the kids arrive; that week was put into place so that we could set up our rooms. Now three of those 5 days are PD and one is Open House.

All of our half-days are now filled with PD. I don't know what happened, but at some point someone decided that we didn't need that time for grading, we needed it for some other training module.

Don't get me wrong; I really like PD. I did 94 hours this summer. I'd just like a little more time to work in my room.

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 25, 2010

:hugs:

I understand. There's never, ever enough time.

As you likely have read, I am trying my hardest to keep work at work. I really need to be able to create some semblance of an existance outside of the 4 walls of my third grade classroom.

I am sorry you had little -- if any -- time to get your much needed planning and organizing done.

I hope your school will provide you with time to do that later in the year. :love:

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 25, 2010

We had half day PD this past Wed. We learned how to take running records. First most people already know how to take them (didn't we learn in college) and second ahhh why do K teachers need to learn how to take running records? It's not like my students are going to be reading 100 word passage.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 25, 2010

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2010

I always wonder how they want you to implement crap that you learn in PD if they don't give you any time for that.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2010

We get zero workdays a year! We have one 1/2 day each month for "team collaboration", but it always turns into a staff meeting or more PD... this coming Wednesday is one such day, kids leave at 1:05 and we have PD until 5!

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2010

Hugs, Pisces! I feel your pain...all our half days were taken away (by the state) two years ago, so we have no PD anymore. And yet, they passed this new reading plan that is going to require tons of training, team meetings, professional development, and planning/data analysis. Hmmm...anyone else see a problem here?!

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 26, 2010

I'm feeling very lucky right now.
    We have one "meeting free" day a quarter to work on report cards.

So sorry that they do not see how you guys need extra time to do this stuff = (

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 26, 2010

I do running records with my K students every week. We are required to and it is helpful.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2010

What are workdays?

Just kidding. We don't have them. We are contracted for 182 days, and 180 of those are instructional.

We have assessment meetings every 6-8 weeks where grade levels are pulled out to meet with reading coaches. They get subs for us and it's for half a day.

Every two weeks we have a minimum day (One hour less in terms of instructional time) where we have either site or district grade level inservice.

All other staff development and "working in our rooms" takes place outside of normal school hours. We get one day at the start of the year to work in our rooms.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2010

Our PD Days are almost entirely filled with mandated activities--I think we have 4 half days this year to work in our rooms or on report cards.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 26, 2010

We have one week of PD before school starts-kind of like a camp. It's amazing to have this, as we have year-round preschool. Working with the other teachers is such a treat, as we never see them normally. Then we have one other such day in the spring, which again is a treat. That's it. No workdays. Our school day is 8-4, with no specials. I'm often at work until 6 just to get things done.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2010

I'm on our district and regional professional development committees. We organize an October PD day on which teachers from the region (several districts) get together by grade level to discuss and share resources on selected topics. It's truly the hallmark of what great PD should be.
    In district, we have many opportunities for PD as well. We have teacher led study groups and book clubs. We do turnkey training on new technologies. In the past, we have been a Columbia Teachers' College workshop school but with budget constraints that has been cut. We have also enjoyed an association with Marilyn Burns Math Solutions. Our region has a curriculum center which hosts excellent workshops- some taught by teachers, others by staff developers. It would be rare to come away from this wealth of opportunities without something one could use right away in a classroom- it's a blessing to work in a place that places such a high value on ongoing professional development of its educators.