I need some help with writing a resignation letter. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LittleShakespeare, Sep 2, 2018.

1. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Companion

Sep 2, 2018

Hey, everyone!

So, this has been a long time coming. I am resigning from my job. Please don't hate me. I know you've helped me so much, and I have listened to all your advice and read it several times. Because of my medication withdrawal, I don't sleep, so I've been going to bed every night at 5:30 AM, just reading, reading, reading all the advice you've given me. I've thought about this all week long, especially after I went back to prepare my "classroom." I found out some things that made me realize I cannot stay here:

1. I don't have a classroom, or a desk for that matter. The classroom I was assigned is no longer mine. I am now a traveling teacher (which I'm totally fine with), but I don't have a desk, a phone, or a place to work during prep. I have a cart, but I don't have a steady place to work during prep. I will be teaching in three separate classrooms, but I am not allowed to store any of my belongings in there as these classrooms "belong solely to the district." When I asked her about where I can work during my prep period, my VP told me to sit in the cafeteria. To be honest, this wasn't the end of the world for me. The following thing was.

2. I will, in fact, be working with that awful co-teacher again. I have NO IDEA why they paired us up again. I logged into the school attendance system on Friday night to view my class list, and she will be in my classroom again for one block. I emailed the VP as professionally and kindly as I could, asking her if I could be switched, that I need a constructive and supportive environment to work in as I am enduring a transition in my life with my health, but after days of giving me the silent treatment, she sent me, "Sorry! Nothing I can do about it!" I asked the principal for advice, and though he humbly apologized and sympathized with my situation, he told me there was nothing that could be done.

I do have a few job interviews lined up this coming week, and I am NOT breaking my contract. To be honest, there are three other ELA teachers leaving this school. Their last day will be November 7th, as will mine. But I needed some help. I've never written a resignation letter before. Do you have any tips on what to include or exclude?

Thank you so much, everybody. For the first time in the last six months, I'm at peace. I'm not vomiting anymore, I'm not breaking down and crying, and I'm not feeling like I'm being dragged to my grave. I know this is the right thing to do, and I will never stop searching for the school that suits me because I am a fabulous teacher who deserves it. :heart:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 2, 2018

Keep it simple.

Just include that you are resigning your position effective on whatever date. Don't over explain. I've not resigned from a teaching position, but I have resigned from leadership and coaching positions. They just need to know what and when, nothing else.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 2, 2018

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  5. LittleShakespeare

Sep 2, 2018

Perfect. Thank you so much, you guys. I had to pick November 7th because in my contract, I must give a 60-day notice. We start school on September 7th.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2018

I'm glad you've made this decision; as I've said to you before, you mental and physical health are more important than the job.

Zelda~* and LittleShakespeare like this.
  7. LittleShakespeare

Sep 2, 2018

Thank you so much, dear. It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make, but I couldn’t do this anymore. I don’t want a sequel to my catastrophe of a school year that happened when I first got hired. Please keep me in your prayers. :heart:

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2018

I’m hoping one of these upcoming interviews leads you to something great! Keep the resignation letter simple, as advised above! Keep us informed about how things are going!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2018

Heard something funny on the radio about a business in Japan that takes care of all of the resignation issues for a mere $450. The take was that in that culture, confrontation makes most very uncomfortable, so this has given rise to a niche market where apparently avoiding the confrontation is worth a significant sum of money. Just thought it was interesting and thought of this thread.

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 8, 2018

Please accept my resignation which is effective 60 days from now, November 7th.
    Thanks for the opportunity to have been a part of this school community. I look forward to hearing great things about your commitment to the students here at...........
    Done.

creativemonster and MathGuy31 like this.
  11. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018

I agree. First off, I am sorry that you are dealing with this. You sound dedicated and I hope you get a new position. Not giving your work space, working in the cafeteria where other children could be around, and worst of all, dealing with a bad coworker, all sounds like you are making a good choice. I know you know this, but I would see a doctor and see if you can sleep before you start working full time again, I would even take time off now if you can to do this. Sleeping as little as you do after awhile would make the best job in the world or anything in daily life horrible. If you are sleeping this little every night this is almost suffering in my opinion. I agree with Joyful's letter above. I hope things go better! I feel the pain right now even reading this!

flairpen likes this.
  12. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 15, 2018 at 6:44 PM

Man, this school leadership sounds painful. I don't doubt you are making a positive step. I think the advice above that you have gotten on the letter sounds good. Please oh please, continue to take care of you. Now that you are adjusting medication and leaving this toxic work environment I hope you will be able to rock your interviews. Good luck!

MathGuy31 likes this.