I NEED help PLEASE ...trying to pass the FTCE Elementary Education Math

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by pdaley, Jun 20, 2016.

1. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jun 20, 2016

I'm in need of some help passing the FTCE Elementary Math. I have taken the test 3 times. Is there any form of study guides that will assist with taking the test. Nothing has helped me. I have passed the other 3 sections. Can someone PLEASE point me in the right directions. PLEASE>>>PLEASE>>>PLEASE.... Help...

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jun 23, 2016

It might be time to take a remedial math class at a local community college to brush up on your math skills.

4. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

Don't have the time to take class. In desperate need of passing the test before next month. Just thought that someone on here could give me some resource to pass.

5. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jun 23, 2016

Check your local library for elementary math textbooks (3rd-6th grade) and practice problems out of them? It's been years since I've taken that test.

6. Sharon J.

Sharon J. Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

This is not a study guide, but a place where you can search for specific math videos that teach you certain concepts! Search for Khan Academy's math videos. Hope it helps and best of luck on your test, I know how you feel, I have had to take test many times before passing as well! You can do it!

7. Caramac48

Caramac48 Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

I actually did Khan Academy's Math Quests, lots of practice and drill involved. Start at the lowest level and work your way through the grades.

8. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jul 7, 2016

I'm assuming you passed the FTCE K-6 Math

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2016

Try looking in the Testing Forum on this site, or send a message to teachergroupie; she is the guru on testing help.

10. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

Thank you ....

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

Let me move this thread to the Multiple Subject Tests subforum.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

Khan Academy, www. khanacademy.org, as mentioned by Sharon J. and Caramac48, can be a good choice for math: each video walks through a specific math topic step by step; the videos are short and can be replayed as much as you like; they're articulated - linked in sequence so skills build from one to the next; and practice questions are available.

If Khan Academy's style doesn't suit you, there are alternatives online. Math is Fun (www.mathsisfun.com) doesn't have videos, but the explanations are clear and to the point. YouTube is full of math videos. Richard Byrne's remarkable blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com, can point you to other math help, including apps for smartphones.

If you're not into online/computer-based help, let me know.

13. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jul 9, 2016

Okay thanks...I take my test in two weeks.

14. Caramac48

Caramac48 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

I haven't taken the K-6 yet, but I used it to help me pass the Math part of the FTCE GK, which involves more complex math skills. (I plan to take my K-6 next month so will keep you updated).

15. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Thanks... I will be taking the test soon...

16. TeachingTheWrightWay

TeachingTheWrightWay Rookie

Jul 28, 2016

Hello to my community of educators, prospect educators and administrators. I passed the English Language Arts/Reading (601), Science (603) and Mathematics (604) of the FTCE Elementary Education K-6. But I've failed to master the Social Science subtest (602). I've studied for it, but every time the questions differs from what I studied (meaning the content) not even close. I am not a big fan of Social Science and I have never been in school. I was wondering is there any tools and resources that I can use to help me master this portion of the examination successfully. Please respond to my post at your earliest convenience.

17. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

Well its great that you have passed 3 out of the 4. I have been struggling with the MATH portion of the test, I have taken it 3 time. This last time I swear was a bit different from the previous one. I'm assuming they gave me a different version. To be honest, Science was the easiest. Would love to collaborate.

18. TeachingTheWrightWay

TeachingTheWrightWay Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

I have taken it twice. The first time I took it; I passed the English Language Arts/Reading (601) and failed the rest. I failed the Mathematics (604) with a 199, Science (603) with a 198 and Social Science (602) with a 182. I took it yesterday for my second time and I passed Mathematics (604) and Science (603), with my previous English Language Arts/Reading (602). So now that I've passed those 3 parts. All I need is Social Science (602). I have never been a fan of Social Science at all and I know my dislike for it is holding me back. It is simply because I am not interested. I need it to be fully certified of course. We should collaborate and maybe you can help me with Social Science. Now I am scheduled this third time; I pray that this is my charm. I had to pay $150.00 and I know if I put in the work. I will succeed as I have the knowledge to do so.

19. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Jul 29, 2016

My email pdaley321@gmail.com

20. mrsboxley

mrsboxley Rookie

Aug 2, 2016

The thing is, it's not just a test; you really DO need to have some mastery of all content areas in order to teach them. That said, while there is a lot to be said for taking additional college courses in order to attain that mastery, one can also gain a great deal of knowledge by reading widely and deeply on one's own. Here's what to do: print out the ETS list of content area topics that the test covers, and then do some research! While not a perfect solution, Wikipedia is invaluable for this sort of research. Work hard, and good luck!

21. pdaley

pdaley Rookie

Aug 3, 2016

So these particular methods helped you pass the K-6?