I need help! Here's the situation....

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by gumbita, Jul 11, 2007.

1. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I guess this is really more of a decision to make, more than a problem :) but this is the situation: I am starting my first year of teaching in the fall, in my subject area of choice, high school Biology. I currently have a position in a brand new beautiful school, where I have already been attending inservices and all the people there are really great, and I think they will be good to work with. The administration seems like they will be great to work with as well. The school is, however, is in a lower income area, but though I understand that will present challenges, I am aware that any school has its own challenges, regardless of the kids socio-economic status. So to sum up, I am definitely satisfied with my current position....then yesterday I got a call from a principal at the career academy in the same district - they are wanting to talk to me about a position as a veterinary science teacher (which would be awesome - I went to vet school a few years ago then left after a year because I realized I wanted to be a teacher) I am definitely rusty on the material, but I love it. This academy is very academically rigorous and there is a waiting list to get in.

So I guess my question is, what would you do? First I don't even know if it is possible to transfer to other schools within the same district after a contract has been signed. Does anyone know about this? If it was possible, and everything is equal (pay, assistance, etc.) but it essentially comes down to teaching kids who have to be in your class vs. teaching kids who want to be in your class (they selected the veterinary career track and are committed to it), which would you choose??

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

Did the career academy know you had already agreed to a position with the other school? If so, I don't think that speaks very highly of the administration at that school.

That happened to me last year. I was offered a position with a district I had been trying to get into for about a year at the alternative campus (brand new, great principal). About 2 weeks after I was offered the position, the principal at the "flagship" school for the district called and offered me a job. I told him about the other school. He said, "Well, I can pull strings and get you out of that." I politely declined (I thought that was really unethical).

Anyway, I AM SO GLAD I DID! My school is WONDERFUL. My principal is amazing. I just think positions come and go, but good principals/staff are hard to find.

4. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

I appreciate Bandnerd's position--I would also stick with my first commitment. And gosh, consider how fortunate you are to LIKE where you are and who you are working with; the special challenges you'll face will simply serve to help you GROW!!

On the other side, while the career academy has a unique draw for you (the vet aspect), you admit it's a "rusty" area for you. That would possibly eat into your first year confidence level...AND, let me tell you, working in lower socio-economic situations is oftentimes the most rewarding work you can do. You really feel NEEDED (if not always appreciated) and rewards come in special ways.

Good luck--you'll make the decision that is best for you, I'm sure! Let us know...

5. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I don't believe the principal at the academy knows about my current position, because I haven't spoke to him yet (he left a message on my phone, I called him back and left a message). So I don't think it's a problem with ethics on his part. I know that asking more about the position will help - it may be that I have to design an entire curriculum and have 5 preps or something like that, which as a first year teacher would add additional challenges. I guess we'll see....

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

Well, if he doesn't know, you probably should tell him as soon as possible. He might not *want* to step over that line, and he might see it as deceptive on your part if you ask questions about the other position and then tell him about the other school.

7. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Well I guess it doesn't matter now. They called back to set up the interview, and when I told them I had already signed with another school, they said "Too bad" and goodbye. Something like that will never come along again.

8. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 11, 2007

It worked out for the better. Because you still had to go through the whole interview process again and who's to say you would of been offered the job. You said it yourself you are a little "rusty" on the subject,they would of looked at that as a downside. Just be glad you have a positioned offered to you already. Things will work out for the best for you. Good luck to you in your 1st year, :)

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

If the position is in the same district, you may be able to request a transfer next year, if you are interested. Check your contract for info on intra-district movement.

10. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Or, after you have been working a few years at your current school you could easily suggest starting an elective class very similar to the one you were offered. If it is a new school I am sure they would be open to that suggestion