I need gross motor games

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, Jan 31, 2007.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 31, 2007

I need some fresh ideas for indoor gross motor activities for my 3's and 4's, since it's FAR too cold to go outside.

We already do:
    hopscotch mat
    beanbag toss
    balance beam
    rolling on mats
    LOTS of songs

We occasionally play silent ball
    They love duck-duck-goose
    I set up obstacle courses
    We play hot potato
    we sometimes do musical chairs
    a "Let's pretend" game I learned in my drama class called magic rocks (be a ___. ok, magic rocks! at magic rocks, they have to stop and sit or curl up in a ball right where they are, silently. they think it's GREAT)

I need some new get-the-wiggles-out gross motor activities to do, especially in the afternoons. We're all going stir crazy... we've been inside for the last 3 weeks and it looks like next week's going to be just as cold as this one.

3. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Feb 1, 2007

Here are a few...

Your local library should have some preschool movement CDs to check out.

We've done:
    Penguin waddle walking (small ball between knees and try to walk)
    Polar bear walking
    Jumping over ice blocks- (cardboard blocks covered with white paper)
    Jumping through hoops- (hang red ribbon or crepe paper from them to pretend to be animals jumping through them)
    Limbo- ( we do all kinds of movement, go through on your back , crawl, slither, etc.)
    Sideways movements- Jumping, walking, etc.
    Straddlewalking
    Crawling, hopping, etc. around the cones
    Bean bag movement (Pretend that they are tightrope walking along a line of tape with a beanbag on their head
    Beanbag movement games-- (neat CD from my library)
    Hulu hoop musical chairs-- I have several colors of hoops that we lay out on the floor, we play music. They dance around outside of the hoops. Then I call out 3 or 4 colors and they have to stand in that hoop when the music is turned off. No losers! They love it.
    Jumping over the river-I have a blue blanket that I use. I start with it being narrow and the kids jump over it with two feet. I gradually make it wider and they try to jump over with out falling into the "water." A good work out!
    Heavy lifting- We fill a bucket with heavy blocks and they try to beat their time by carrying the bucket across the classroom. The whole class participates and we record our time. We try to beat our time as a group. No losers! The buckets have to be heavy but manageable for the children.

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Feb 1, 2007

I play a really stupid version of four-corners with my tutoring kids which they love despite its stupidity--we do it for math facts but you could do it for anything (shapes, colors, phonemic awareness, counting, etc.). We write down four different numbers, very large, each on a separate sheet of paper and then hang them in the corner of the room (i.e. 5, 10, 24, 16). Then my kids meet a teacher in the middle, the teacher calls a math fact (i.e. 8x2, and students "answer" by going to the correct corner.

I made it up one day when lessons finished quickly. For some reason, they like it, so we keep playing it.

5. shan6teacher

shan6teacher New Member

Feb 1, 2007

How about blowing up a balloon and having them stay in a circle and pass it to one another trying to keep the balloon in the air. When it touches the ground, the last person to touch it is out. You go until you have a winner. If you have a large class, split them into teams and see which team wins.

6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Feb 1, 2007

My class this year loves to play jumping bean. I made a bunch of flashcards with letters (you can do whatever you want). I made some with beans on them, also. Each child gets a turn to pull a card from the bag. If it's a letter, they identify it. If it's a bean, they yell, "jumping bean!" and everyone jumps up and down.

7. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Feb 1, 2007

8. a323

a323 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007

we play a game called "Late last night" have all the kids lay down and pretend to be asleep. Then you sing/say "Late last night while you were sleeping, somebody came and put skipping shoes on your feet, get up and and skip, skip, skip, skip" you can vary the type of shoes such as "bunny shoes" "dancing shoes" "galloping shoes" after they skip tell them to lay back down and do it again with a different pair of shoes. its simple but my kids love it

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 1, 2007

Thanks, gals! Keep 'em coming :)

10. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 3, 2007

Our College campus daycare sets up obstacle courses inside with a tube to crawl through, tables to crawl under, hula-hoops placed on the floor to jump in, and a small trampoline to jump on. They only use this when they absolutely cannot go outside (when its lightning or under 10 degrees). Otherwise they are out there 45 mins in the morning and 45 in the afternoon.

How cold is it in Illinois? Here by Buffalo, it's a -12 wind chill today!

11. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Feb 3, 2007

Puff5655, where are you in Buffalo? I'm in Amherst and I'm not leaving my house today! :D

I'm a graduate student at Daemen, by the way.

12. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Feb 3, 2007

My kids really enjoy playing parachute games-there is a song by Laurie Berkner called "Popcorn Calling Me" and I have pretend popcorn pieces (like bean bags) and they get to "sizzle" them and "pop" them and then hurry to grab them all back up before the next verse starts.

13. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Feb 3, 2007

I did the shoe thing with my kids today, they loved it! We did it for 10 minutes and they didn't want to stop. Their favorites? Baby booties and cowboy boots.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 4, 2007

I find the use of Hap Palmer CDs very useful. He sings songs that the children move to. Some are problem solving, etc. I am sure other artists are available. I know that Sesame Street has some as well.

15. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Feb 6, 2007

ellen_a, I'm in the Southtowns- going to Fredonia State. It's STILL freezing, I think they should have cancelled classes again today..

16. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Feb 6, 2007

We're closed here--I tutor kids from Buffalo Public and also do public school observations. We still have night class though. Stay warm!